Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Windymiller

Tree species choice

On my continuing quest for info on wooden houses, I read that Eastern Red Cedar, Juniperus virginiana is a durable-timber producer. Native to the eastern half of the USA, does anyone know how well it would grow in the UK, particularly in Wales?
tahir

No idea, bit of a long term plan eh?
Northern_Lad

Re: Tree species choice

Windymiller wrote:
Native to the eastern half of the USA, ...

That's a heck of a climate differential: from the perma-sun of Florida to the long winters of New England; from coastal margins ticked by huricanes to the edge of the tornado region.

My feeling is that they'll be fine. However, given you're in West Wales check how well rooted they are, and how much soil you've got. The big ones only survive because they're in a clump - individuals will get blown over too easily.
Treacodactyl

Not come across Eastern Red Cedar in my reading, a quick google doesn't sound too promising. It might be worth phoning your local Forestry Commission as I've found them quite helpful in the past and if they don't know they might know someone else who does.

If you've not already found them there are some details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Juniper and here: http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Juniperus+virginiana
Windymiller

I'm too old to wait to grow my own, but for future generations! But more durable than much of the softwood grown in the UK.

I should have said "in the middle of the eastern half of the USA" Carolina to Ohio etc. They are said to have fine fibrous roots, are good for soil stabilisation. They are shorter than many pines, at about 60', so the longest pieces of thick stuff will be shorter.
deanom

Try ART

The Agroforestry Research Trust sell the seed, so I guess that it's possible to grow it here. Suggest that you check out their website www.agroforestry.co.uk.

Hope this helps
Windymiller

Re: Try ART

deanom wrote:
The Agroforestry Research Trust sell the seed, so I guess that it's possible to grow it here. Suggest that you check out their website www.agroforestry.co.uk.

Hope this helps

Thanks, very informative website, the tree seems promising.
Grumpy

Tree Choice

H[color=brown]i Windymiller. Are you thinking of WESTERN Red Cedar (Thuja plicata)which the Americans use for shingles on the outside of their timber framed houses. The wood is very durable and light. It's also used in the construction of bee hives as it stands the weather well and doesn't need painting or preserving.

Grumpy
Windymiller

No, the EASTERN cedar, a misnomer as it's a Juniper, is different, but also used as a building timber. I may have to consider a Canadian kit as the €/£ is changing in the wrong direction. The Finnish house kits are getting more expensive. But as we are delaying the move for a year or two, perhaps the situation will change in our favour.
Bodger

Re: Try ART

deanom wrote:

Hope this helps

I've added it to my list of favourites. Thanks for that one. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home