Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Fee

Trugs

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get them?

They all seem so expensive! I'm sure you get what you pay for, and I would like to have a nice one that'd last. I don't really fancy a plastic one though.
Cathryn

Trugs are great if we are talking about the same thing? Brightly coloured plastic ones? I got three for £15 at Longleat Horse show - mother inlaw took one the other two have been used in the house ever since. I since have bought more - the horses use them for feed and water - no handles to get anything attached to (and if horses can get themselves in a mess they will) Several for in the garden. There is a store here called (Cheap) Charlies and there's one in Newtown and Welshpool - so you will just have to come on holiday Very Happy Failing that equine places would have them

We're not talking about the same things are we.... Embarassed
Fee

lol, I think we probably are, but variations of Smile

I was hoping to get a woven or wooden one like these:

...they just look so nice...I'm being a bit romantic about it really, I've got a hazy image of collecting my veg in one as I skip around the allotment Laughing

I think I'll end up with practical plastic ones though Smile
Penny Outskirts

This the sort of thing Fee? I've always loved them, but they are really expensive...
Penny Outskirts

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I'll delete mine shall I? Laughing

(Edit - at least I've learned how to put the pics in thanks to you Very Happy )
Cathryn

Embarassed Laughing

My Mum has a plastic one that came free with a gardening magazine Laughing Laughing
Fee

hee hee hee - nah, it's too funny Smile

But yeah, those ones Laughing
Sarah D

Have a look here:

http://www.truggery.co.uk/

I don't think they are expensive for what they are - each one is a unique item hand made by a craftsman. Well looked after, they should last for years.
Better to invest a bit now, than have to re-invest a few years from now, or put up with some crappy plastic one (unless that's what you want) that is not what your heart desires. As Oh says, you can't afford to buy cheap tools..........
Sarah D

Another thought - look out for details of trug making day courses - I have seen them advertised over the years, or look on the net for instructions, or in woodworking books, or get one down the tip. Lots of options Very Happy
Fee

Yeah, I know it'll be worth forking out the spondoolies now. I wish I'd have thought about it before my birthday! Will work on the OH this weekend Smile

Just had a look on truggery.co.uk...they are so lovely, aren't they?
Bugs

Treacodactyl has one. His mum bought it for him from somewhere Sussexly, quite possibly the place above. It is indeed a rather lovely thing and more useful than you might think. Ours (do you like the way it went from his to ours?!) is currently controlling squashes on the kitchen table but it does indeed get used for collecting veg, holding lavender and other things to dry, and just general fluffing about in the garden. Floaty dress optional (they suit me better than they do him but will he listen?).

You can quite possibly get them repaired too, although ours seems quite sturdy. I think it probably is one of those things that is worth the money if you think it will give you pleasure. Nice thing to hint at for a present....happytechie and Miff, was it Wink
Sarah D

Sussex is traditionally where the trugs come from. Probably still the best too.

I like the ones that have a hole in the middle so you can fit a stick in it; you push it into the soil where you are working, so have it at hand height - good for flowers,e tc. Gertrude Jekyll had one. Amaing what gin can pull up from the brain........... Laughing
Fee

Bugs wrote:
Floaty dress optional (they suit me better than they do him but will he listen?)

Laughing

Yeah, will work on tother 'alf, happytechie, over the weekend Very Happy
judith

I have a lovely wooden one made by a friend of my BIL, but I confess I use my green plastic one much more. It seems such a shame to harvest muddy parsnips and jerusalem artichokes into the pretty wooden one.
Bugs

judith wrote:
It seems such a shame to harvest muddy parsnips and jerusalem artichokes into the pretty wooden one.

You big girl's blouse Judith Laughing No, it did sort of seem unfortunate to wreck someone's hard work to begin with but it looks much better once it gets a bit grubby, honest.

(We have been known to line it with newspaper for esp. dirty crops)
judith

Bugs wrote:
You big girl's blouse Judith Laughing

I have dreams of wafting around in the floaty dress too. The trug and I are keeping ourselves pure until that day comes.
Fee

hehe, it's not just me then Laughing
Cathryn

Hey floaty enough and the wellies wouldn't show Laughing
Miff

Hey Fee,
I've got some basic instructions for making them in John Seymours "Forgotten Arts and Crafts". Doesn't sound too difficult..if you can get hold of the right tools.
judith

ruby wrote:
Hey floaty enough and the wellies wouldn't show Laughing

And I wouldn't have to worry about getting the chicken poo off my posh shoes either. Good thinking!
Bugs

Also, when you come inside, they hide slippers quite as well as they do wellies.

The voice of experience (for once!)
tahir

judith wrote:
I have dreams of wafting around in the floaty dress too.

Me too, like a skinny Demis Rousos
judith

tahir wrote:
Me too, like a skinny Demis Rousos

That image leaves me quite speechless Laughing
cab

If a trug came on wheels, so I could tow it behind my bike on the way home from the allotment, that would be ideal. Unfortunately, I'll have to make do with matching handlebar-dangling buckets, pannier box and rucksack Sad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home