Try Bulgarian Countryside for a few months...and help dogsPlease bear with me as at the moment just looking at options and ideas.
I now run a small charity to help Bulgarian stray dogs (http://twitchynoses.org) and work closely with Animal Help Stara Zagora. I would like to run a small emergency foster shelter for up to say 10 dogs and maybe a few cats. I have the facilities at my home and also have another old house and plot next door that with some work (tree chopping, building etc) could also be used. This is just east of Kazanlak region. About 2 hours inland from Burgas.
I am not entirely sure of a plan at the moment but considering getting someone in for maybe 3 or 4 months at the moment over the summer and they can rent one of our furnished holiday homes for cheap. Bills would be included for this period.
In return for a nice house and cheap rent, the person(s) would help me with the dogs and feed the dogs when we are not here as we go away to the coast to work and raise funds every 2 weeks for 3 or 4 days, water the veggies and there is also another old house and plot close by I would like to get cleared and see if a suitable place to put a few more dogs. So someone that is interested in eco building, gardening and does not mind getting dirty would be ideal and of course love dogs.
If things worked out then there is a definite possibility that you could stay longer term, renting one of my renovated houses or I have another more basic unfurnished villa that I also have listed for sale but would consider a cheap long term rent if meant could help the doggies (or a rent to buy option or possible reduced sale price).
Anyway all just a jumble of thoughts at the moment. Would maybe suit someone or a couple considering Bulgaria but want to spend 3 or 4 months here before committing. Or someone that already has a house here in the region but needs a base while they do work on their property.
To recap as to what you would be expected to do (and hopefully enjoy and want to do):-
- Caring for dogs (mainly for 4 or 5 days every 2 weeks when we have to go away) and helping socialise and train dogs.
- Watering our veggie garden when we are away (10 mins a day)
- Keeping garden tidy of the house you would be in. We have all tools and I am happy to cut grass every 2 weeks as needed. If someone was interested in gardening and quite arty they are welcome to 'renovate' old well, pegoda, area at back that not sure what to do with.
- Helping clear plot we have next door - interest in building work, eco-sustainable building etc would be great (its all mud brick walls).
- MUST BE FUN! Enjoy BBQ evenings, getting messy, not be too easily fazed.