Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
judith

Turkeys

Does anyone have experience of keeping turkeys beyond their December date with the roasting tin? We have three at the moment which are all spoken for, unfortunately, but they really are endearing little critters. Plug ugly, but very lively and curious and they don't scrape up the grass like chickens do. And their happy tribble noise is just wonderful.
I was just wondering if they remain so good-natured in adulthood, and what the hens are like as mothers. I don't think I could justify having any as pets right now, but if I could raise enough poults to sell on, then it might be a worthwhile venture.
barefoot_boo

No personal experience of turkeys, but I have a friend who's got several (one of which is permantly broody, so my friend lets her hatch hens eggs, and she's proved herself to be a fantastic mum).

The next time I see her I'll ask her about keeping them past Dec and how their temperament changes as they mature. Smile
judith

Thanks Boo. I'd be interested to know what she says.
Mind you, after spending half an hour last night in the dark and drizzle trying to track them down and haul them bodily into the barn, I may be going off the idea. Turkeys don't like going to bed Twisted Evil
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home