Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
gythagirl

Turnips - rescue me with a recipe or two...

On clearing a veg bed I've discovered long-forgotten turnips - Purple Milan - hidden under drunkenly-leaning purple sprouting broccoli - and they are probably past their best, tho as I've not grown them before I admit I don't really know...nor do I know what to do with them Confused

So, turnip growers of Downsizer, your Favourite Ways With Turnips, please...

(I've also got massive radishes but that sounds like a complaint)
Behemoth

Good with duck.
sean

Searching on turnip in the recipes brings up quite a few. Linky
dpack

tis hard to beat either boiled and mashed with butter,salt and pepper or diced and used as a root veg in a slowcooked dish

you will need a decent prep knife to peel em and if they are "elderly" a decent cleaver or cooks knife to dice them.
gythagirl

I did look at the Recipe Section first Sean but they're without comments and I do like people to gush over their fave recipes...I'm maybe expecting too much with the humble turnip Laughing

I'd better go and dig them up!
chez

Buy a cow and feed it with them. That's my advice.
dpack

Laughing
sean

Friulian style turnips is mine, via Antonio Carluccio. Highly recomended. Boy Wonder likes it too.
chez

Friulian style turnips is mine, via Antonio Carluccio. Highly recomended. Boy Wonder likes it too.

Arvo actually made this and it was nice. A cow would be better though.
gythagirl

Thanks Chez. Can always rely on you for sensible advice... The friulian recipe looks worth a go, tho the turnips are not exactly young; however, all on hold atm as soil way way too wet n soggy to extract them!
chez

It's a pleasure Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home