Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Tavascarow

Ubuntu installation problems.

Downloaded, burned to DVD but everytime I reboot the machine comes back to my windows login.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong please?
I've looked at the ubuntu forums but to my non techy mind they are talking a different language.
Windows 8. Smile
dpack

if there is a screen early on that offers a choice to partition disk and install ubuntu on part of it ,leaving the doze bit as it is,it might be worth trying that .if it works you can either keep or wipe the doze part later.

i had some problems over writing an xp drive and got round it by using a different drive in the machine Rolling Eyes
tahir

As long as you've burnt the CD correctly then the issue is going to be allowing the PC to boot from CD in BIOS
oldish chris

This geezer seems to make sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7gWIkAY7s

My approach is to download Ubuntu, the burn it to a DVD. I gather that there is an application that runs on Windows that will create a "Bootable USB drive". (IIRC 8gigs is big enough). The next stage is to alter the bios so that the in-build boot-loader goes to the USB port first.

Ubuntu should load. There is a difficulty that doesn't affect me (my machine originally run 7), with W8 there is something called UEFI, this needs disabling or modifying in some way. Not sure why it was implemented in the first place.

The thing is, at this stage, Ubuntu will not affect your hard-drive in any way. In theory it is an opportunity to check that everything will work.
Hairyloon

There is a difficulty that doesn't affect me (my machine originally run 7), with W8 there is something called UEFI, this needs disabling or modifying in some way. Not sure why it was implemented in the first place.

Probably to discourage people from installing Ubuntu.
oldish chris

There is a difficulty that doesn't affect me (my machine originally run 7), with W8 there is something called UEFI, this needs disabling or modifying in some way. Not sure why it was implemented in the first place.

Probably to discourage people from installing Ubuntu. As we will never know what the MS directors actually said amongst themselves when deciding what goes in the W8 build, and why, its all conjecture. I put them in the same class as bankers. (Not because they're MS, but because they are directors of a multinational corp that is determined to maintain market share and profit margins).

None of what I have said is of any use to the sweet innocent punter who wants to explore his options.
vegplot

but because they are directors of a multinational corp that is determined to maintain market share and profit margins).

I think they call it running a business.
vegplot

Probably to discourage people from installing Ubuntu.

Microsoft actively encourages Linux users especially in their cloud infrastructure Azure.

Quote:
His predecessor, Steve Ballmer, described Microsoft as a devices and services company. Nadella has scrapped that, casting it instead as a company capable of working across any platform—even those controlled by competitors—to help people be more productive. He has made Office software available on Apple- and Google-powered tablets and phones and made Windows free to manufacturers of devices smaller than 9 inches. He has forged new partnerships with companies Microsoft once considered enemies and spent time with startups to learn how innovative business models work. And he paid $2.5 billion for Minecraft maker Mojang, so that a new generation will grow up on Microsoft’s software.
oldish chris

but because they are directors of a multinational corp that is determined to maintain market share and profit margins).

I think they call it running a business. They do indeed, I bet they've even factored in the multi-million pound fines they may incur when they get caught out. Tavascarow

That they may but try & buy a computer (other than apple) without windows pre-installed.
Thanks for your advice my friends I will have another try later.
Smile
oldish chris

That they may but try & buy a computer (other than apple) without windows pre-installed.
Smile Some of the Linux fan-boys get very animated about having to pay MS for a license that they don't won't. Then you look at the economics. A system with Linux pre-loaded will cost more. With a standard Windows PC, profit margins are so tight that the manufacturer off-sets the licence fees (already low for a mass producer) by trying to get money from advertisers and commission for selling Office and Anti-virus stuff.

Last time I bought a new lappy, I spent sometime investigating how easy it would be to recover files from a W7 system. Easy. However, if you modify one, W7 got a bit upset on restart.

NB, Ubuntu DVDs cost a fiver from Canonical.
Hairyloon

Smile Some of the Linux fan-boys get very animated about having to pay MS for a license that they don't won't. Then you look at the economics. A system with Linux pre-loaded will cost more...
I can accept the economics make it impractical for most suppliers to stock anything other than machines with Windows on them, but you ought to be able to decline the Windows and get the licence fee refunded.
I am still baffled as to how this is not covered by the monopolies legislation.
vegplot

I can accept the economics make it impractical for most suppliers to stock anything other than machines with Windows on them, but you ought to be able to decline the Windows and get the licence fee refunded.

It's impractical for them to remove Windows. It simply isn't worth the effort for vendors to remove software. Manufacturers mass produce pre-imaged disks and vendors are very unlikely to support Linux because there's not financial incentive for them to do so. If they did they'd be swamped with technical support trying to get various bits of user installed hardware working. Linux based operating systems are not user or hardware friendly enough for mainstream consumption. It's one of the downsides of a free system.

Monopolies aren't interested as there's no viable mainstream alternative. Linux is fragmented and OSX only runs on Apple hardware.

There another way of looking at it. The popularity of Windows has directly driven down the cost owning a PC far more quickly than would otherwise have happened making them affordable to most people instead of the preserve of the wealthy.

I'm surprised Android hasn't made much of an impact but I suspect that's due to it's focus on the mobile scene.
Hairyloon

It's impractical for them to remove Windows...
I wasn't suggesting that they did: there is no need. It is not the information on the disk that costs, but the license to use that information as software. If the purchaser does not want to use the software they ought to be able to return the license and write over the disk.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home