Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
DorsetScott

Unintentionally making vinegar

Ok, so during my cider making a few weeks back I had a bit left over which I stuck into an unsterillised wine bottle with a muslin "airlock" on the basis that if it worked great and if it didn't it would have been thrown away anyway. I had a sniff last night and it's definitely on the vinegary side of things.

This got me to wondering how you make apple cider vinegar though, especially given the amounts it's taking me to preserve mushrooms. Have I accidently made apple cider vinegar or is there more to it than that?
Went

Hmm not sure but this is a link we were looking at for the same reason earlier this month:

http://thisistrix.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/making-apple-cider-vinegar.html

Edited to add - the comments are useful too - I never knew about vinegar eels Shocked
Lorrainelovesplants

vinegar eels? puke_r

Im not reading this......
mark

Very good plan if you make vinegar to do it in a different location to your wine making and also clean up away from it if you make wine in the kitchen - use a bathroom or outside tap !

This way you help avoid making more unintentional vinegar!!

mark
DorsetScott

Very good plan if you make vinegar to do it in a different location to your wine making and also clean up away from it if you make wine in the kitchen - use a bathroom or outside tap !

This way you help avoid making more unintentional vinegar!!

mark

Well, yeah, if you plan to make vinegar Smile
Andrea

I was under the impression that fruit scrap vinegar wasn't suitable for preserving uses as it's acidity can't be guaranteed. I've got several batches on the go at the moment, but it's intended for salad dressings.

To make apple cider vinegar, added sugar isn't necessary. At it's simplest, pure crushed apple juice left in a covered but not air tight container will become apple cider vinegar. Apples contain enough sugar to ferment naturally.

I made about 150 litres of the best apple cider vinegar I've ever tasted by accident once!
DorsetScott

To make apple cider vinegar, added sugar isn't necessary. At it's simplest, pure crushed apple juice left in a covered but not air tight container will become apple cider vinegar. Apples contain enough sugar to ferment naturally.

Perfect, that's the answer I was hoping for!!!
I'll bear in mind that it's no good for preserving though, thanks
Went

I was under the impression that fruit scrap vinegar wasn't suitable for preserving uses as it's acidity can't be guaranteed. I've got several batches on the go at the moment, but it's intended for salad dressings.

I made about 150 litres of the best apple cider vinegar I've ever tasted by accident once!

Thanks - we did wonder.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home