Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
jettejette

unrecognised email address

Can anyone explain why certain unconnected sites won't recognise my email address - I've used the same one for years.
Most of the time it's fine but about 10% tell me to supply a valid address.
Usually I'm not bothered but now I find thatI can't register for the RSPB bird watch, which I really wanted to do😯
Nick

Is your email address a free one? Some sites won't let you use, eg, hotmail, because of spammers.
jettejette

Yes it's hotmail! Sad Is there no way around it apart from having another address that costs money?
joanne

Hotmail is a rubbish email and notoriously prone to spam, you'd be better off with a gmail account which I've had for years and never had any problems with but there are plenty of other free email providers about, gmx for instance
sean

The chances are that your ISP will give you a load of email addresses: @btinternet or @talktalk or whoever.

I've used a hotmail.com address for about fifteen years now without any problem with being spammed. From the point of view of deleting dodgy users here gmail is now used by far more spammers than hotmail.
Nick

Agree with Sean about Hotmail, the spam filters coming in work a treat, and it does seem to be accepted most places now. However, ymmv, and it might be the problem.
kGarden

apart from having another address that costs money?

Dunno how much is reasonable ... but you can buy a domain name for a £tenner a year, or less, and then redirect email from that to your ISP or elsewhere.

So folk email you at me@jettejette.co.uk and the email actually gets to you via whatever email address you prefer to use. If you change ISP you don't have to tell all your chums what your new email address is, that stays the same you just re-config it to "forward" to your new ISP.

Depending which company you register your domain with you can get a wildcard email facility. That means that ANYTHING@jettejette.co.uk gets routed to your (single) email address with your ISP. I use that to use a unique email address for registration at each site that I register on, if any of them "lose", or more likely "sell"!!, my address then I can just set up a spam rule for any incoming email to that address.
vegplot

Re: unrecognised email address

Can anyone explain why certain unconnected sites won't recognise my email address - I've used the same one for years.
Usually I'm not bothered but now I find thatI can't register for the RSPB bird watch, which I really wanted to do😯

Check your email address isn't one that's been compromised. You can do this at https://haveibeenpwned.com/.

Don't worry I know the chap you runs this site and it's perfectly safe to use it.
Nick

What happens if you have?

(I haven't...)
Hairyloon

Re: unrecognised email address

Check your email address isn't one that's been compromised. You can do this at https://haveibeenpwned.com/.

Don't worry I know the chap you runs this site and it's perfectly safe to use it.

Ironically his verification email got caught in my spam filters.
vegplot

(I haven't...)

Then it's likely more than your email address is known to others. It depends what's been stolen. Email address alone not such a big deal but identity or credit card details are more serious.

In relation to the original post it could be a reason why the email has been blocked, if it has. If it's a harvested and subsequently used to spam then it has a higher chance of being blacklisted.
kGarden

If you own a domain which allows ANYTHING@MyDomain.co.uk you could just change the "anything" part.
jettejette

Thanks vegplot, it hasn't been compromised according to your friend.

Feeling very stupid as I don't really understand the replies to my question as well as why a few organisations don't recognise my address.

I think I need an idiots guide to how email works.

I think I'll ring the RSPB.Is that a cop out?
Very Happy Very Happy
sean

No. Whatever works for you. You shouldn't feel obliged to faff about with different email addys because of one organisation's administration. vegplot

If it's the RSPB you're having problems with then they have strict anti-spam policies and probably block en-masse the free email address domains such as hotmail.com. kGarden

I think I need an idiots guide to how email works.

At the risk of falling flat on my face Smile I'll try

You send an EMail and it gets routed to the recipient's email inbox. That might be held at their ISP [the company they connect to when they use the internet] until they next log in (or similarly in an online mail service like Hotmail / GMail), or it might be routed directly into a company or individual's server and never sit anywhere in cyberspace.

If you own a domain name then you can define "where" the email is routed to - a so-called MX address. In fact you can have more than one, so in the case of a Company's Server they might have a second MX address, probably offsite, in case their main server is down in order that emails are routed to a backup location. If none of the defined MX addresses can be reached the email will be "bounced" back to the sender with a "Could not deliver" message. (EMail is NOT guaranteed-delivery, so the absence of a "could not deliver" message does NOT mean that it WAS definitely delivered)

I doubt you can set an MX address on MyDomain.co.uk to route it directly to Hotmail, but that may be possible. As an alternative email can arrive at MyDomain.co.uk (as its endpoint) and then be collected by an email reader - that might work for Hotmail / GMail; they would just "poll" MyDomain.co.uk and download any new email. That would also work fine if you were to use an offline email reader, such as Outlook. If none of those are suitable then MyDomain.co.uk could forward all emails to somewhere else - that would work for Hotmail.

For example: I send email to you@YourDomain.co.uk and you read it on Hotmail (if that is your preference). You could then register on a website as "you@YourDomain.co.uk" rather than "you@hotmail.com", but you would still read your email on Hotmail (including whether people send it direct to "you@hotmail.com" or to your alternative address "you@YourDomain.co.uk".

If you have a domain with wildcards - so you can have ANYTHING@YourDomain.co.uk then either all the emails, regardless of who they are addressed to, will wind up in a single mailbox, or each family member can have a different mailbox and the emails will be separated for each person - DADDY@YourDomain.co.uk, MUMMY@YourDomain.co.uk, SON@YourDomain.co.uk and so on.

SOMEONE@JohnLewis.co.uk works in the same way - it gets routed to the MX address for JohnLewis.co.uk in the first instance and, as they are a company, it is then processed internally and put in SOMEONE's mailbox ready for when they next log on. Your HOTMAIL box works the same way.

I use Outlook as my offline email reader and I have that set to not delete new emails, as it downloads them, for a couple of days. The people that host MyDomain.co.uk also provide an online email reader, so when I cannot download my email with Outlook e.g. away from home / office, I can just use a browser to view my Inbox online, much the same as Hotmail - even if my laptop is at home, online, and also downloading my emails regularly they will still be available for me to read online (for a couple of days after my computer has also downloaded them)
jettejette

Thank you so much for that kgarden. I am in awe of your knowledge and understanding. The mist is clearing a little☺. I now know what an ISP is - obvious when you think about it. And a domain is beginning to make sense.You can see from that, the level of my ignorance!
All in all though I will probably stick to my hotmail and get my daughter to do stuff when companies say my email is invalid. But thanks again! Typing
kGarden

As a slight, perhaps simpler, variation your ISP probably provides you with an EMail address - e.g. YourName@YourISP.co.uk.

Perhaps a bit of a long shot, but maybe you could get that "diverted" to your Hotmail account ... perhaps someone could have a fiddle for you? Either by forwarding email from your ISP EMail account to Hotmail (probably not possible) or having Hotmail "poll" your ISP EMail's Inbox (my guess is that that is more likely).

Is that was possible / done / done for you, then you could use your YourName@YourISP.co.uk email address for registrations, and any emails the site sent you would wind up in your Hotmail inbox along with your regular emails - so you would still just use the single Hotmail "reader" but it would get around Hotmail email addresses not being permitted for registration.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home