Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
OtleyLad

USe for Dog Hair (other than choking the vacumn cleaner)?

Our Springer looks more like a Herdwick sheep than a dog (I kid ewe not). So much so the sheep don't run away from him any more in a field.
So instead of paying 35 for another haircut I've ordered electric clippers (its a Whal something) and will do it myself.

Can I use the hair for anything? - or should it go on the compost heap. He's a sort of faded 'liver' colour at the moment so a wig is probably out of the question.
sean

Here you go...
dpack

guard hairs are a bit spikey and slippery but underfur and soft coats are quite good for yarn and felting.

i keep meaning to do something with the binliner full of assorted mutt fluff.
Jam Lady

Samoyeds are superior in this regard. I once had friends with two of them, who saved me the fleece when they blew their coats one spring. Sent the rather large box to my sister who lives abroad. It caused some concern at customs - I labeled it dog fleece, for spinning - and they were not sure about the contents. This was many, many years ago.

I think that the First People who lived in the Pacific Northwest used to have a breed of smallish white dogs kept for their useable fur.

And there was a woman I knew who used to invite passing collies into her house for a brush up, spun and knit herself a sweater. Which on damp days smelled like a damp dog . . . .
gythagirl

Keep it til early Spring then distribute around garden for birds to use to line their nests...
OtleyLad

Samoyeds are superior in this regard. I once had friends with two of them, who saved me the fleece when they blew their coats one spring. Sent the rather large box to my sister who lives abroad. It caused some concern at customs - I labeled it dog fleece, for spinning - and they were not sure about the contents. This was many, many years ago.

I think that the First People who lived in the Pacific Northwest used to have a breed of smallish white dogs kept for their useable fur.

And there was a woman I knew who used to invite passing collies into her house for a brush up, spun and knit herself a sweater. Which on damp days smelled like a damp dog . . . .

I love the idea of a smelly dog jumper.
OtleyLad

Keep it til early Spring then distribute around garden for birds to use to line their nests...

Thats a nice thought too.
gregotyn

I will be having a bit of a clip when the weather warms up normally thrown away-this years crop will be going to the birds, I thought of a cushion once, but realised it would have become felt if I sat on it. jettejette

My Australian friend made a pair of mittens from her dogs hair!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home