Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
frewen

Using up the wool

So I can't felt anymore, and I recently sold my spinning wheel because of the arthritis ... I am still pretty mean with a drop spindle and have set up the ancient rigid heddle loom to use up some of the merino I have left over...

...but it's a bit boring, and I wondered if there were any bright or novel ideas around?

I could bag it up and sell it on e-bay I suppose, but I'd rather use it myself.
wellington womble

Can you manage peg looming? It makes marvellous rugs and uses up lots of wool.
frewen

Probably Smile
Merino is a bit too soft for rugs though isn't it?
sally_in_wales

What about doing some plain belts with the heddle but putting really exuberant Bronze Age style tassels on the end- thats a bit less boring, and there is currently a good market for Neolithic and Bronze Age costume items with its addition to the curriculum, so you could recoup some funds at the same time.
frewen

That's a nice idea. I could do myself a lute strap and himself a guitar strap too 😎
wellington womble

Probably Smile
Merino is a bit too soft for rugs though isn't it?

Seat mats and bedroom rugs? We use them like patio chair cushions to keep your back warm outside. Snuggly!
Mistress Rose

The rigid heddle loom isn't ideal for them, but you can make belts with the warp threads showing, as in inkle weaving. They are quite solid and good for belts, lute and guitar straps and all sorts. I assume you can't knit or crochet very much, or you could just draw out slivers and knit them unspun. Not as strong but can be a nice effect.
wellington womble

I did some arm knitting with roving. It was really, really hard to keep track of the stitches, though. I knitted a triangle.
frewen

What did you do with it then?
Mistress Rose

You can use it for a shawl, blanket, whatever, to keep warm. It will felt very easily, so something like a blanket is a good idea. I had a shawl, years ago, made like that and it felted when I washed it, so not so good for a shawl any more.
wellington womble

What did you do with it then?

Chalked it up to experience.
frewen

I might just spin it up slowly by hand on the spindle. It's quite relaxing and reflective and I need a bit of that right now dpack

would art felting by creating the design or picture out of fluff on a cloth and then rolling it up before felting it with hot slightly soapy water and a good bashing be a possible option?

the bashing is fairly hard work but i recon one could drive over the roll a few times to take the strain out of it.

some of the folk at my first art college produced a variety of stuff ranging from landscapes to firework bursts and flowers in felts that ended up big as you want and strong enough for use as rugs or display on a wall.

if there are no detailed instructions on line i can probably remember most of the important details.
frewen

I can do that. I could felt a rug with my feet and legs doing the hard work. wellington womble

Wasn't there that yurt that was felted on horseback? You could bring it here and we'll do it behind the tractor when I mow....
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home