Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Pilsbury

vanilla bulk buy july 2012

Had a quick look at the last guys I used and unsurprisingly the price seems to of gone up.
We seem to be looking at about 20p a pod plus p and p, obviously the more we buy the better price so it may well come down but if people could express an interest and a guess at how many I can look into it.
I won't hold anyone to their first estimate and will check before I order,.
Any number you like but to make it worth it postage wise probably best to Hung of 10 as a min order and no limits on the top number.
For people new to the site I am probably about to get into negotiations for a couple or thousand vanilla pods, passed on at cost to anyone who wants them so feel free to join in.
Can a mod unstuck last years buy and sticky this on, cheers.
jamanda

We'll have 50 please.
arvo

Cool. 100 here please.
Rusticwood

We'll have 50 please
Nicky cigreen

ooo could I have 20 please
toggle

20 please. Very Happy
NorthernMonkeyGirl

50 please Very Happy
Katieowl

30....50???

How many does it take to make a lot of quite strong vanilla essence with vodka??? Anyone??

Kate
wizz

20 please
Pilsbury

10 in a 35 cl bottle will be pretty potent in a month or so, 20 will be quicker and 5 will be longer...
Just keep topping up the bottle and leaving it to make more.
chez

30....50???

How many does it take to make a lot of quite strong vanilla essence with vodka??? Anyone??

Kate

Do mean, Vanilla Vodka? Because 'lots', probably. And can we come to your house?
DawnMK

I would like 50 please Very Happy
Pilsbury

If you make a superstrong vanilla vodka you can use it on place of vanilla extract in baking and cooking.
Then you can still use the vodka soaked pods in your pudding......
chez

I love you, Pilsbury.
Pilsbury

If you just want to make vanilla vodka 2 pods to a liter steeped for a year works, I ave a bottle with vanilla, star arise and a couple of cloves. I tend to decant out half a liter and add half a liter of sugar syrup and use that while topping up the vodka with neat stuff.
Beautiful in coke I'm afraid.....
chez

I wonder, if you put a few more pods in, it would probably do in six months. Just thinking about Christmas.
Pilsbury

Yep, the more you put in the quicker The first lot is ready, and at 20p each it really doesn't matter, you can even have it ready in a week if you want to.
Great in dark rum as well......
chez

Good job Himself has ordered 100 Smile. If the price comes down a bit, we can have some more!
Katieowl

I want it for baking....the decent stuff in tesco is £5+ a bottle Shocked and I'm going through it at a rate of knots. I'll have 50 then! Ta.

Kate
sugar

Please can I have 100
Pilsbury

I have heard back from one supplier and they are offering 10% on orders over 5kg so we might get it, we might not depeding on how much we order.
Its a bit slow so far this year but thats fine, the original price was froma basic price.
Someone has sent me a link to a different supplier that works out 12p a pod but they are half the size and weight but it might be an option to go with them and have more but smaller pods, im sure one of the smaller pods would be enough to flavour a custard for 2 and if you needed more then you can just use to.
Anyone have any thoughts on this one?
jamanda

Dunno. I like the big fat ones. You can always cut them in two if you wanted a smaller ammount.
cqueenie

50 for me please
Minamoo

Or you could blend the pods with liquid glycerine then push through a sieve to get the tough bits out. Great way to store it, easy to use and is alcohol free for those as care about such things. I would order more but have over 100 left still from last time.
Pilsbury

Anymore for anymore? If not I am going to add up what we need and order this week if I can.
gardening-girl

Go on then,put me down for 20.
catbaffler

I've only just noticed this thread - love vanilla and the extract is expensive Surprised

Could you put me down for 20 please?
12Bore

Could you put me down for 20 please, I'll have to post you cash at the appropriate time if that's ok, I don't do PayPal.
Pilsbury

Not a problem,
12Bore

Ta muchly Wink
HenX

I've only jsut noticed this too.

Please could I have 200. Thank you.
gardening-girl

200!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dare not ask.
Pilsbury

200, Not a problem. Keep em coming.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

How do you normally do the paying side? My paypal is somewhat rusty, think I didn't update it? But I have a chequebook Wink
RichardW

When you place the order remind them that we had 7kg last time I did it & there was at least one other order since then too. They should be putting us on a better discount by now.
Pilsbury

When you place the order remind them that we had 7kg last time I did it & there was at least one other order since then too. They should be putting us on a better discount by now.

Thing is its different people buying each time. If you can let me have the date of your purchase and I will look up my last one and send in another email to see if I can get a better rate.
I al at just over 1000 at the moment which is about 4kg but I will probably order 5kg at this point to get the discount, vanilla pods are not hard to get rid of lol.
Pilsbury

As for payment, cheque, paypal or bank transfer would be my preferred ways when the time comes, if people pick the paypal option please check the gift box so I don't end up with loads of fees taken out. catbaffler

I'd like to amend my order and have 60 please. chicken feed

if i am not too late i would like to order 100 Wink Nicky cigreen

if it makes a difference to the order, I could always have more than the 20 I asked for - I doubt you would have trouble getting rid of surplus Pilsbury

I will almost certainly have morepods than we need. So you can up the order later. Shan

200 please Very Happy Pilsbury

I am going to start negotiations tonight and see what i can get the pods for, i am hoping to get enough off to be able to cover the cost of post and packing so everything can go out at 20p per pod.
im going to go for the bigger fatter pods from the original quote but people can still order more if they want them.
Nicky cigreen

can i amend my order and make it 50 please

every time i read this thread I imagine the smell of them!

thanks Smile
Jonnyboy

Don't know what people have planned for storage but we still have loads left over from the original bulk buy. At first we kept them in a tupperware box and they dried out, so now they are kept in an almost empty bottle of white rum and get a shake now and again, when used they are in perfect condition. Pilsbury

the payment pms have gone out but i am happy to wait until after payday if it is easier, i have some in my paypal account already but if people are happy to pay now thats great, if you cant at the moment im not worried, i have a little check list and will just tick you off as you pay.
im not chasing for the money, just putting it out there.
Cheers
Nicky cigreen

funds sent Smile

I'd be grateful for people's vanilla storage solutions and vanilla using recipes please!
Pilsbury

just use the search at the top of the page and put vanilla in.
just had a quick look and for storage its in sugar (flavours the sugar), in vodka (makes an essence) or in a airtight tub
I forgot to mention they will come to you packed in 20's or 25s' and vacuum packed in little pouches and can happily sit in there in a cool dark cupboard for a couple of years at least.
20 in kilner jar of sugar for baking, then 20 in a bottle of vodka for essence and the rest in the cupboard for now, top up the sugar jar with sugar and after 6 months move those pods to the vodka bottle, the alcohol will extract a lot more flavour and soften the pods again, when you need a pod in cooking take one out the essence jar and use that, that way you use pods out the essence pot, replace them with the sugar ones and then top up the sugar jar out the cupboard and always have sugar, essence and pods to use all the time.
faerienono

Can I still order some please? Pilsbury

No problem, still taking orders for now. Shan

They make fabulous gifts to foodie friends. They can't quite believe their luck when they get given 10 or 20 pods, especially when you consider what they cost from Waitrose.

Also, little jars of vanilla sugar plus some vanilla essence and a bottle of vanilla vodka and you have a lovely hamper.
gardening-girl

Will pay pal as soon as we come back from Wales.Just going now. Pilsbury

I'm in no mad rush, I'm waiting to hear back from the vanilla guys as I have given them a couple of previous invoice numbers from me and Richard when he did one to see if we can get an even better price, no harm in asking since I'm up to between 8 and 9 kg so far faerienono

Can I order 50 please? thanks. Just let me know when you want paying and how. Pilsbury

ok, the list so far
screen name and number ordered, if im missing any one, or i have the number please shout
faerienono 50
Chicken feed 100
shan 200
sugar 100
cqueenie 50
catbaffler 60
Gardening girl 20
12 bore 20
Crookham farm 200
jamanda 50
arvo 100
rusticwood 50
Colour it green 50
Toggle 20
Northen monkeygirl 50
katieowl 50
wizz 20
dwanmk 50
Pilsbury

bump.... gardening-girl

Please could I bump my order to 50 ?Having lotsof ideas now. Pilsbury

not a problem, new pm on its way jamanda

Bump noted. Money sent. Pilsbury

Wink faerienono

Please bump mine to 100, and if you send the message thing with the paypal bit then I can get you paid before I go into hospital.....thanks Pilsbury

just waiting for the last 10 people to send in the funds and i will be able to order.
I will send out new pm's to those people tomorrow so if you get one but have already paid just let me know how, paypal, cheque or bank transfer and i will track it down and add it to the list.
Cheers
toggle

managed to miss yourpm arriving. have paid now Pilsbury

got it thanks, can you pm me your address, cheers toggle

nods Pilsbury

I have enough payments in now that i am going to be ordering this week, if anyone else wants any then they can order but payments will have to be pretty swift, especially if its a large amount Pilsbury

Just to keep people up to date, I have had 3 new quotes and one offered a bigger discount if ordered 11kg or more, only another 5% though so I have been doing the figures and that would potentially leave me with nearly 1000 pods so I'm going with the original one for between 5kg and 10kg, I am ordering 8 kg today and they will be shipped in the,next courier batch, I think they were a little slow getting back to me as when I tried to order through their site they only had 6 kg in stock so I think they,had to get more in.
Hoping to get them soon and pack them up and ship them out early next week but it depends on their delivery.
sean

Thanks for doing all the work on this. Smile sgt.colon

Pilsbury, if you can wait untl the 31st August (pay day) then I'd like to order some please? If not then no worries. I'll grab some next year. Smile Pilsbury

What sort of numbers you lookimg at? I will almost certainly have extras as I have rounded up the amount I'm buying and there is often extra orders after the buy but if you are talking hundreds I will get a few more. sgt.colon

Oh no, I was only thinking 50, please. Smile Pilsbury

No problem. sgt.colon

Thanks Pilsbury. I'll Paypal the money to you on the 31st. Please let me know where to and the damage? Very Happy Pilsbury

Will do, let me put you on the list and I will send out the payment pm from home. Hate trying to pm on the phone.... Nick

Completly missed this. If you have spare, can I grab 100 please, if not, no worries. Pilsbury

Lol, and that's why I over order.
Shouldn't be a problem.
Nick

Great, thanks.

Let me know the cost and where to send it.
Nicky cigreen

woot!

thanks for doing this Pilsbury! looking forward to my vanilla Smile
Pilsbury

ordered and paid for, should be coming out soon jamanda

ordered and paid for, should be coming out soon

Your house will be smelling wonderful soon Pilsbury! Thank you for sorting it all out.
Shan

Thank you from me too. Looking forward to it. I fell like a child waiting for a birthday present. Embarassed Pilsbury

Just chased them up and they say they were let down by the courier but another one is booked for tomorrow, I still think they had to get in more stock but anyway it should be on its way tomorrow for Friday delivery, I haven't forgotten about it, promise. DawnMK

looking forward to it and a big thank you for sorting it all out Very Happy wizz

ditto... thanks for sorting it. Shan

Just chased them up and they say they were let down by the courier but another one is booked for tomorrow, I still think they had to get in more stock but anyway it should be on its way tomorrow for Friday delivery, I haven't forgotten about it, promise.

Half the excitement is the anticipation! Wink
Pilsbury

There is apparently a,biggish parcel for me at home and the tracking number for the vanilla says it was delivered this morning do I am going to guess its here.
I will start to parcel them up tonight and then try and start posting after the bank holiday, if anyone needs thires urgently let me know and I will make tuem the first to pack and post, I remember someone asking as they are going away so let me know.
Pilsbury

Well that's the pods here and counted out ready for putting into envelopes after printing out address labels, I am missing a few peoples addresses but I will pm you soon asking for your address.
And yes, the house smells lovely.....
jamanda

Well that's the pods here .

Very Spinal Tap! Laughing
NorthernMonkeyGirl

*excited squeak* DawnMK

I am waiting in the bushes to ambush the postie Very Happy Pilsbury

First batch is in the post first class so should start arriving tomorrow or Saturday I think, going to pm people for addresses tonight so watch your in box please.
It took a couple of days to pack off 2500 pods after te little one had gone to bed so sorry for the delay but I'm sure they will taste as good lol.
sgt.colon

Thanks for sorting all this out Pilsbury. You're a diamond geezer. Very Happy faerienono

Thanks very much, mine have just arrived Smile Rusticwood

thanks a lot, mine has just arrived cheers cheers jamanda

Mine too - thank you very much Pilsbury!

(Along with a letter telling me I haven't got diabetic retinopathy, and a cheque for the remainder of the tax on the old car - not bad for an initially ominous set of three brown envelopes)
gardening-girl

Thank you! Mine arrived just now. Very Happy Very Happy Katieowl

Mine just arrived too... thanks so much for organising it. Very happy Very Happy

Kate
Nick

I'm still all vanillaless Sad

Is it because I lied when I was seventeen?
wizz

Thanks - mine here this morning Very Happy chicken feed

thank you pilsbury mine arrived this morning............they smell wonderful Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Home Home Home Home Home