Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
tahir

Various old PCs

Various XP PCs, mostly HP. Any good to anyone?

Probably got a few servers too (Win and Linux).
Cathryn

Yes probably but possibly a bit far unless...

Nick??? Wink
dpack

an xp era motherboard and top end (ish)cpu could be useful to me as could a spare big fan/power supply unit as i do seem to cook those bits in my old school rig fairly often(i must get a external fan made for it,last time i was running it flat out it was drawing 1 1/2 kva and keeping a room warm)but it is perfect for some of my old but top end music and movie software (unlike my "new fangled lappy"which is far too clever to run old software ,pah)

so yes please if there is a suitable tower from latter end of the xp era i could do with those bits or the whole thing if that is easier
dpack

i was wondering about transport but as the cloth was huge and heavy i recon in a box might do the job if the ds network is not convienient
Nick

My issue is getting to Tahir, not to you lot. He lives in the arse end of nowhere. If time is not an issue, delighted to help. And I could easily take a new PC, too, tbh. One that wasn't for work or children would be nice.

How late can I call by Thursday evening?
tahir

Thursday we're at mum's won't be back till 10:30, what time do you want to come?
Nick

I'm in Hendon till 11pm, then driving to Huntingdon.

Working in Swaffham. Are you about Friday afternoon?
tahir

Missus will be
Nick

Have them ready, I can promise nothing, but if I get a chance, I will fly by, if that's OK?

Happy to pretty much take as many as are available, and disperse, wherever?
tahir

OK. Just text me to check I managed to get them home....
Nick

I shall send you a PM! Smile
tahir

Rolling Eyes
dpack

wow chaps ,well appreciated
tahir

It's looking like 1 laptop and 5 or 6 PCs so far (I'm throwing away any that are known dead)
Nick

They come with flat screens and warranties?
tahir

36" screens and lifetime warranties
Nick

Cool.
Pilsbury

My missus is lookimg for a laptop since hers has died, no problem if its spoken for.
tahir

My missus is lookimg for a laptop since hers has died, no problem if its spoken for.

It's not exactly speedy, let me know if you want it
Cathryn

Have them ready, I can promise nothing, but if I get a chance, I will fly by, if that's OK?

Happy to pretty much take as many as are available, and disperse, wherever?

Hero! 'Tis for the Oxfam shop. Smile

And somebody just pm'd me and deleted it...?
Nick

That wasn't me. Cathryn

i was wondering about transport but as the cloth was huge and heavy i recon in a box might do the job if the ds network is not convienient

They were enormous! Thank you Tahir and for the possible pc. It will be well used or used well.
Hairyloon

(I'm throwing away any that are known dead)
I've been thinking about having a go at extracting the gold out of my collection of dead PC's. I know it is pretty miniscule, but it should be an interesting experiment.
More sensibly there are places that do this commercially and pay a fair rate for scrap boards: something like £5/kg last I looked.
dpack

(I'm throwing away any that are known dead)
I've been thinking about having a go at extracting the gold out of my collection of dead PC's. I know it is pretty miniscule, but it should be an interesting experiment.
More sensibly there are places that do this commercially and pay a fair rate for scrap boards: something like £5/kg last I looked.

it is a truly filthy business to separate the metal from the plastics and other materials and then to separate the gold from the solder etc

whether by oxidation or solution chemistry refining gold from a metal mix is messy
Nick

As I am in Bridgend tomorrow, I am staying in Braintree overnight. I shall come round at some point. Hairyloon

it is a truly filthy business to separate the metal from the plastics and other materials and then to separate the gold from the solder etc
Nah. Messing around with old cooking fat is filthy. Gold refining is clean and sparkly... just very, very nasty.
wizz

If there happens to be a spare pc available, and if Nick is coming in the York direction, we'd be delighted to give a PC a home...... No problem if not. Thanks Very Happy Nick

Cathryn has a pm, and first call on the pcs. When she replies, folk in York will get a nudge.

I'm not ignoring you Pils, I have no laptop. Smile
dpack

cheers Wink wizz

great thanks Very Happy tahir

I'm not ignoring you Pils, I have no laptop. Smile

Pils has a laptop (hope it's working anyway)
chez

If there are any left, please could I put in a request on behalf of an impoverished friend who has just gone self-employed? Nick

You can. I'll file it away for when I know. Then, you might find a Linux box arrives with a pressure barrel on a trip to grockletown. chez

Wonderful. Thank you! Who's the barrel for? Nick

Gardening Girl. chez

Brill. She and I have a hot date to go to Ikea at some point. Nick

You poor bastards. chez

No, no it's all good. We are going sans-men. Like a hen-do. But without the condoms on our heads. Cathryn

Sorry, I will get onto this and let Nick know tomorrow. Nick

There is no rush. York is next in line and I'm not going there for two weeks. Cathryn

Okay. Smile

Can I just say on here that if anyone knows of companies getting rid of pc's, shop fittings that kind of thing, Oxfam would probably be interested.

Admin costs are kept to a minimum hence, although I curse the ancient machine I have in the office I begrudge spending on a new one unless it becomes absolutely necessary. There are much better things to be doing with that money.

Many thanks for this Tahir.
tahir

I've got a lot of mannequins... Cathryn

Really? NICK! Very Happy

No bad me, Oxfam. Smile

Can I ask someone about them and get back to you?
Nick

Not sure how many I'd get in the car. Cathryn

Well one in the front seat and three in the back. Smile Nick

Aye, I did have that vision.

I also had a different vision of me crashing, and dozens of body parts everywhere confusing the traffic rozzers. Smile
Cathryn

Actually I think piled up on a roof rack would work better. Laughing chez

Actually I think piled up on a roof rack would work better. Laughing

This.

We'll pass on the mannequins, though, thank you. Ever since Arvo let Leo watch Dr Who and the Autons, he's been afraid to pass shop windows.
dpack

in the boot of an estate car might get a few odd looks and/or an armed response unit Laughing Nick

I am driving from Aberdeen to Grimsby on Tuesday afternoon/evening.

Do the York people have any transport to come and meet me, somewhere sensible?
chez

Oxen? Hairyloon

I am driving from Aberdeen to Grimsby on Tuesday afternoon/evening.

Do the York people have any transport to come and meet me, somewhere sensible?
Tuesday I think I'll be in Wales, else I might volunteer.
Are all the machines spoken for? I can offer one a home if not.
Nick

I have two or three coming to York. I'm staying overnight there so I'll drop them with dpack. He's in charge of northern distribution. dpack

i need to make/find a functional one for wizz's kid's homework and need a few bits myself so i will let you know if there is owt useful after the scrapheap challenge Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home