Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Hairyloon

Vegetable oil spread.

I just made a round of toast, and I spread on it some kind of not butter, made largely of vegetable oil, and it occurred to me that with all this oil I have (potentially) knocking about, I ought to look into a way of making something like it myself...

Any thoughts or ideas?
Rob R

Re: Vegetable oil spread.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Don't bother. Better to burn it and eat butter. Cool
Hairyloon

Any thoughts or ideas?

It's product, to sell to people worried about cholesterol.
And it is too nice to burn. Sad
Rob R

Any thoughts or ideas?

You could always make some snake oil.
Hairyloon

Any thoughts or ideas?

You could always make some snake oil.
I don't think snakes will fit in my press. Confused

But a question occurred, and I ask simply out of curiosity: how do the carbon footprints compare of butter vs vegetable based buttery spread?
Rob R

I have no idea, there are so many variables that I'm sure you could swing it either way. Andrea

Butter has got to be less, surely, because of all the processing steps involved in veg oil based spreads.

Although, I'm pretty sure butter made commercially could well involve an awful lot more processing steps that would be necessary at home.
Lloyd

Veg oil spreads are basically an emulsion, right? Might be fun to have a play around trying to make one. gz

Whole//Health foods shops already sell it, made in Germany or Nederlands...begins with V ? Shan

You will need to get hold of some Diacetyl if you want it to taste like anything. Hairyloon

You will need to get hold of some Diacetyl if you want it to taste like anything.
The oil has quite a nice flavour.
Luath

What's wrong with butter? Making your own from local cream is the answer. Rob R

What's wrong with butter? Making your own from local cream is the answer.

He's got a load of rapeseed - it's a bit like the Americans with their need to find more inventive ways to use corn & high fructose corn syrup.
dpack

catalytic hydrogenation is no game for the shed Laughing Laughing Laughing

trust me on that one i did it semi tech scale in a lab for 6 months and a blast chamber for the reactor is a very fine idea Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hairyloon

catalytic hydrogenation is no game for the shed Laughing Laughing Laughing
I thought people had raised heath concerns about that process anyway. Confused
I'm not saying I was convinced by them, but in the light of your advice, I'll cross that off my list of possibilities.
dpack

ps i had to nitrate the ring before reducing it and naps is far safer than high pressure h2 and catalysts Treacodactyl

I just made a round of toast, and I spread on it some kind of not butter, made largely of vegetable oil, and it occurred to me that with all this oil I have (potentially) knocking about, I ought to look into a way of making something like it myself...

Any thoughts or ideas?

A good quality oil can be used on toast, we often put olive oil on toast. There's also plenty of recipes that use oil rather than marg or other solid fats for baking.

Depending on the oil simply chilling it can solidify it, if that doesn't work then whisking it with a pinch of something like mustard powder might work. There seems to be a few ideas if you search for them.
Hairyloon

A good quality oil can be used on toast...
Yes, you can, but there is something about a spread... maybe it is just habit. Confused

The emulsion idea seems the most promising...
Mistress Rose

I think most spreads have some hydrogenated vegetable fat in them, although they claim to have far less these days. The problem with an emulsion is to keep it stable; you don't want your lovely spread to separate into oil and water before someone uses it. Very Happy Hairyloon

The problem with an emulsion is to keep it stable; you don't want your lovely spread to separate into oil and water before someone uses it. Very Happy
Hmmm... The emulsion that I made which was supposed to be biodiesel seems pretty -ing stable...
Wink
Dee J

Well if you want edible spreadable goop rather than runny oil, how about mayonnaise? An edible oil emulsion with a long pedigree...

Dee
gil

Another vote for oil on toast / bread.

Or just fry the bread.
Hairyloon

Well if you want edible spreadable goop rather than runny oil, how about mayonnaise? An edible oil emulsion with a long pedigree...
Good thinking... but why does mayonnaise on toast sound such a weird idea?
Hairyloon

Another vote for oil on toast / bread.
I don't see any of you rushing to buy it off me. Sad
jamanda

I wasn't aware you were selling it. Hairyloon

I wasn't aware you were selling it.
I was about to point you to the relevant thread, but it seems that while I may have been hinting fairly hard, I have not actually come out and said it...
Probably because I have been having some troubles* and I haven't started actively selling it yet.

{* like the press doesn't -ing work}
Dee J

Mmm. 5 litres of nice quality oil of known origin... what price delivered to west Devon?

Wouldn't want it processed/emulsified or otherwise messed with. Oil is useful, mayonnaise can be made. If I'm spreading or baking then I'll use butter, or for pastry I'll use lard or suet.

Dee
Hairyloon

Mmm. 5 litres of nice quality oil of known origin... what price delivered to west Devon?
Until I have got the press effectively, I cannot tell what it is costing me to make, so I cannot put a price on it. If I counted my time, then it's probably running at over £100/litre at the moment...

Even when I am sorted, price is still a tricky question... mine has compared favourably in a taste test vs goldenacre oil, which sells at about £6/litre...
I'm expecting to be cheaper than that.

Quote:
Wouldn't want it processed/emulsified or otherwise messed with.

Cold pressed and filtered was all I was planning to do... I can skip the filtering if you like. Wink
Dee J

Cold pressed and filtered is just fine thanks.

Dee
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home