Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
bubble

very little about

just one parasol for tonight[about 10in across]

Duane Dibbley

There is nothing around here whatsoever.....apart from Chanterelles and the odd Brittlegill.
sean

Very little here too. Even the normally prolific inedibles aren't about.
Northern Boy

And here. We had a big flush in September but it's all gone quiet.
fungi2bwith

It must be the worst year ever (well in the 9 or 10 years I've been shrooming). I am lucky enough to live 300 yards from extensive woodland that contains almost every well known edible mushroom. But not this year, there has been sporadic fruitings of chanterelles but hardly anything else. Strangley there have been no boletes until this morning when I saw a very soggy brown birch bolete on my cycle ride to work. I found my first saffron milk caps of the year yesterday. I would normally have seen hundreds of these by now!

I did find some Ceps while visiting my parents in Scotland at the end of August, but even in that prolific woodland there wasn't much about.

This year appears to be the year of the slug (as I can testify from my veg plot). I wonder if some fungi have evolved not to friut when the slimy bu**ers are munching away Question

Garry
gil

Seemed to be a fair few inedible-looking mushrooms when I was out on the hills today, including fly agaric. Though I am not a shroomer, and maybe some of the others were edible....

It's so wet.

What fungi like growing in peat bogs ?
bubble

got a couple of ceps today, parasols ,deceivers and amethyst deceivers and quite a few small puff balls for a little pasta dish
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile
fish (the other one)

is the right hand one a 'penny bun'?
Jamanda

got a couple of ceps today, parasols ,deceivers and amethyst deceivers and quite a few small puff balls for a little pasta dish

That's a reasonable hoard. I haven't seen any any amythyst decievers for years. Sad
earthyvirgo

Not even seen any inkcaps here.
We haven't had a good mushroom year up here for 5 or 6 years.

EV
Jamanda

EV

No. We have a spot where sometimes there are hundreds of inkcaps. Not a one yet this year.
bubble

is the right hand one a 'penny bun'? yes its a stem of a cep bubble

EV

No. We have a spot where sometimes there are hundreds of inkcaps. Not a one yet this year. ink caps mostly are found in recently disturbed areas ,so you'll find them in those areas for 3, 4, or even 5 or 6 years ;but when the nutrients have been depleted there, as if by magic they disappear!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile Tavascarow

Do you think it's lower summer temperatures & the early drought that has restricted the mycelium growth?
I know the best years here for field mushrooms is after a long warm spell, followed by abundant rain.
No shortage of rain but the summer was definitely cooler.
Duane Dibbley

Plenty of Chanterelles around this morning.....along with loads of Deathcaps. I usually see a few Deathcaps in this location but there were more than 10 in a line today, just wish that I had my camera because they showed the complete cycle from ball shape to fully grown. Treacodactyl

That's a reasonable hoard. I haven't seen any any amythyst decievers for years. Sad

Really? They seem quite common round here but I've never tried them.
bubble

Do you think it's lower summer temperatures & the early drought that has restricted the mycelium growth?
I know the best years here for field mushrooms is after a long warm spell, followed by abundant rain.
No shortage of rain but the summer was definitely cooler. I think its the deluge thats almost killed off the mycelium;do'nt forget that too much rain for the mycelium is worse [as far as recovering]than a drought /lack of rain which we get rather more commonly.The biggest reason for the bad or non-existent season we are having is the patterns of weather this year . Jamanda

Really? They seem quite common round here but I've never tried them.

They are nice. Are you seeing them at the moment?
bubble

Really? They seem quite common round here but I've never tried them. To find Ame. deceivers look for Beech!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile Treacodactyl

Really? They seem quite common round here but I've never tried them. To find Ame. deceivers look for Beech!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile

There's not much they can be confused with, is there?

I noticed some a couple of days ago next to some chanterelles I picked and they were under beech.

There's a patch on my woodland that appears every year and there's no beech near them so they must not require beech to live.
Jamanda

Ive found them under sloes. bubble

Really? They seem quite common round here but I've never tried them. To find Ame. deceivers look for Beech!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile Beech is their favourite tree. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home