Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Jamanda

Very odd

I was pootling around this morning, reading the news and playing mafia, when I got a message asking me if I wanted to up date something or other.

I didn't recognize it, so said thanks but no thanks. But it was very persistent, so I restarted the computer to get rid of it. Next thing I've got AVG telling me I have a trojan! It asked if I wanted to quarantine it, which seemed like a good idea. So I said yes and it said the threat was now controlled.

Then everything went black!

So now, while I can find everything by using the search my start up menu is empty.

Any ideas?
Jamanda

Considering doing a system restore. Does this sound right?

I found it in my virus vaults! It's called Win32 Kryptic.
gil

It sounds a bit like something I had in mine, that resulted in a trip to the computer shop. Was a new virus that even AVG hadn't yet got a remedy for.

I still don't have access to my programs in the normal way I used to have, and my Start menu is mostly empty.
Chez

A system restore *might* work.
Frazzled_Barbie

Win32/Kryptik.FM is a suspicious program that may do harm on your computer without your notice. Win32/Kryptik.FMís newest variants include Win32.Kryptic.XGI and Win32.Kryptic.XGM. Trojan.Win32.Kryptik.laq(v), etc. Win32/Kryptik.FM has the capability to record and send computer users confidential information, for instance, credit card, login numbers, etc to a remote hacker. Win32/Kryptik.FM will usually perform bad activities on your computer background for it does not want to let you know that your privacy has been violated. This attack could pose a serious security threat, itís advisable to take immediate action to stop any damage or prevent further damage from happening.

Win32/Kryptik.FM properties:

1. Win32/Kryptik.FM Changes browser settings
2. Win32/Kryptik.FM Shows commercial adverts
3. Win32/Kryptik.FM Connects itself to the internet
4. Win32/Kryptik.FM Stays resident in background

I found the above info on the net - a system restore back to a suitable point should help.
crofter

Re: Very odd

Next thing I've got AVG telling me I have a trojan! It asked if I wanted to quarantine it, which seemed like a good idea. So I said yes and it said the threat was now controlled.

It might not actually have been avg asking if you wanted to quarantine it... I have seen a similar message, and do not have avg.
Chez

Mandy, try this:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149856&highlight=eset
Jamanda

Re: Very odd

Next thing I've got AVG telling me I have a trojan! It asked if I wanted to quarantine it, which seemed like a good idea. So I said yes and it said the threat was now controlled.

It might not actually have been avg asking if you wanted to quarantine it... I have seen a similar message, and do not have avg.

I have, and it is there in the AVG virus vaults.
Jamanda

A system restore seems to have put everything back where it was. I'm running AVG again. (The thing is still in there - do I need to do anything about it?) Frazzled_Barbie

Yes I would bin it completely. Jamanda

Yes I would bin it completely.

Is that by clicking "empty vault"?
vegplot

Seriously consider installing and using Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Jamanda

Seriously consider installing and using Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Is that instead or as well as AVG? Chez was looking at my work pooter the other day and said one of the reasons it was slow was because I was running two anti-virus things.
Frazzled_Barbie

Yes it is.
Jamanda

Yes it is.

Tis done.
Shane

Seriously consider installing and using Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Is that instead or as well as AVG? Chez was looking at my work pooter the other day and said one of the reasons it was slow was because I was running two anti-virus things. Malwarebytes only runs when you start it up manually - it's not always running in the background. Jamanda

OK, I'll do that then. How often do you run it manually?

Thanks for all the help with this Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Home Array Array