Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Very Old Laptops.

I have here a couple of very old laptops PIII processors and maxed out with 512MB RAM and I don't know what to do with them. I'm reluctant to bin them because they work and I am daft like that.

It occurred to me today that they are probably out-performed by a Raspberry Pi, and I wondered about chucking the motherboard away and putting a Pi or somesuch in instead. Is that a really stupid idea?
dpack

no idea but they would probably run linux mint quite well
Hairyloon

no idea but they would probably run linux mint quite well

They are old Dell's and surprisingly resistant to Linux installations: I tried a few when they were first given to me, but I couldn't get any to work.
Maybe I'll try again.
Nick

Mint would still rely on many old components. Gutting it and using a pi would remove some of that risk. If I'm right that a pi needs a screen, input devices, a box and maybe output ports to work then it seems a pretty good idea.

I bet there's even a market for churning them out and old laptops can effectively be had as landfill.
Nick

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=100143

When you get problems. Ten seconds googling suggest it's a goer.

And he's already built a 3D printer. Wink
Hairyloon

Yeah, OK, it's on the list. I just cannot find the motivation to get on with it...
Hairyloon

Another possible thought (as I'm looking at a broken one) is to take the engine out of a tablet or a phone... Nick

Yeah, OK, it's on the list. I just cannot find the motivation to get on with it...

In Belgium last week, at Carrefour they were selling 3D printers for a few hundred euro. 300 maybe.
Hairyloon

In Belgium last week, at Carrefour they were selling 3D printers for a few hundred euro. 300 maybe.
I don't think I have enough proper use to justify buying one, but it would be interesting to build one...
Shane

Anything electronic I've ever bought from Carrefour has broken within two uses - although I guess they are probably just aligning with local customer expectations out this way. Nick

Another possible thought (as I'm looking at a broken one) is to take the engine out of a tablet or a phone...

I suspect a Pi will have handy and simple connectors. And that a tablet or phone set up will not. Reckon you might spend more hours than helpful doing the wiring.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home