Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
skedone

very strange round my way lol

hi guys i will post the picks soon but this is how mad the weather is my way the mo. i have been out on Sunday got some nice common puff balls, princes,amethyst deceivers, white saddle, some field mushrooms and THE WEIRD ONE OUT THE BUNCH a few small wood blewits...... wood blewits i mean what's up with that its not even been that cold in fact its been a steady 19-20C with only on off rain for about 3 weeks it hit 22 yesterday and we have had no rain for about 5 days.

edit here is pics lol

just some others

your welcome to play guess the mushroom
cab

Oooh... Magpie cap, gorgeous picture. Haven't ever seen one myself Sad

Common white helvella... Do you eat that or do you consider it dubious?

(I'll stop playing guess the mushroom now, now I've picked out two of the three sitting ducks Laughing )
skedone

yeah they are safe to eat no real flavour but a different texture good in Asian cooking and as that and Italian are just about all the food types i cook they are good for me

as for the magpie that was 1 of about 60 in one spot but we get loads round my way must be at least 200 in park near me if not more and find them all over the woods 2

edit again lol

the little orange one is in moss if that helps Wink thought i would mention it as that close up you might not get the scale of it
jamanda

Is the magpie cup the one underneath the puffball? Very pretty!
jamanda

What's the pink penultimate one? We get those here.
Stewy

cab wrote:
Oooh... Magpie cap, gorgeous picture. Haven't ever seen one myself Sad

Loads around here, must of seen at least 30 today.

My best find of the day though was Oudemansiella mucida (Porcelain fungus) which was nice! Very Happy

jp

Quote:
and THE WEIRD ONE OUT THE BUNCH a few small wood blewits...... wood blewits i mean what's up with that its not even been that cold in fact its been a steady 19-20C with only on off rain for about 3 weeks it hit 22 yesterday and we have had no rain for about 5 days.

I found several reasonable sized Wood Blewits over a week ago in my favourite Blewit patch - strangely early....not that I was looking for Blewits, but the Parasols which grow nearby. Confused
PeteS

jp wrote:
Quote:
and THE WEIRD ONE OUT THE BUNCH a few small wood blewits...... wood blewits i mean what's up with that its not even been that cold in fact its been a steady 19-20C with only on off rain for about 3 weeks it hit 22 yesterday and we have had no rain for about 5 days.

I found several reasonable sized Wood Blewits over a week ago in my favourite Blewit patch - strangely early....not that I was looking for Blewits, but the Parasols which grow nearby. Confused

Wood Blewits were out down here this time last season. Still nothing here but I am sure they are coming. And last season it was a good season for them - picked them from October to March.

It does not surprise me that they are out now. Although the days are very warm (for the time of year) some of the nights have been cold and a few close to freezing. About 10 days ago the night time temp was 3degC and I know that Stewy said that there was frost on the cars early in the morning.
skedone

the pink one is a m.rosea and toxic but pretty all the same like i say
skedone

well thats what makes it more weird the temp at night last night was 12c the night before 22c the night before 14 you get the picture
PeteS

skedone wrote:
well thats what makes it more weird the temp at night last night was 12c the night before 22c the night before 14 you get the picture

Naah... once they are triggered by the cold they will fruit. It does not matter what the temperature is after that - they don't stop. I find that Blewits fruit after the first cold period (a frost or near frost) of the autumn. You usually see them 10 days AFTER this time which, in this case, is spot on. I actually started looking for them at the weekend because I thought that they might be out. So in my experience not weird, just normal.
skedone

oh cheers for that info i will check my other more prolific patches then just encase;-)
Stewy

Jamanda wrote:
Is the magpie cup the one underneath the puffball? Very pretty!

Yes, Magpie Inkcap, Coprinopsis picacea
PeteS

I got some Wood Blewits this morning - they are coming.
nettie

Tons and tons of puffballs here, I am delighted, i have been here 18 months now and only just starting to find patches of things growing after months and months of nothing. I now have a puffball patch and a parasol patch. It's frustrating when you've moved somewhere new and you don't know where to look!
jp

Found loads of Wood Blewits today plus some nice Parasols mushrooms. Also huge numbers of Clouded Agarics which are always around at this time of year - but I've never plucked up the courage to eat any.
PeteS

Yes, I too found a load of Wood Blewits today in the New Forest. In just one spot there were about a dozen. Bingo knows where it is as he found some there last season when we went out on a forage almost exactly a year ago. However, this time they were nice and young with NO maggots. I also got another load of Hedgehog Mushrooms, Honey Fungus, a really excellent fat and large Bay Bolete, a few Chanterelles (they seem to be coming up again), Amethyst Deceivers and a few Winter Chanterelles.

Also noticed Horn of Plenty trying to fruit again and the Winter Chanterelles were having another go too. Mind you, the morning gave me an end of season feeling and not sure if they will come in numbers again this year. Saw one rotting Cep (I think they are gone for this year) and lots of Clouded Agaric and Lepista flaccida. This (Lepista flaccida) is also supposed to be edible but I have never tried it.

As for Clouded Agaric - as well as some people having a bad reaction to it there are romours that, over time, poisonous toxins can build up in your body and make you seriously ill. Just like the Brown Roll-rim (Paxillus involutus). Personally I would avoid it.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home