Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Nick

Vinyl to MP3

I have come to the conclusion that I ought to spend a wet weekend of three transferring my vinyl to MP3.

Any comments on the best way to do this? I'm happy to purchase a deck designed for this, but imagine they're relatively cheap and nasty. Being honest, my vinyl hasn't seen the light of day for 20 years, and will have a fair number of scratches and wow and flutter anyway, so a poor stylus probably won't do too much harm.

My turntable, which was great in it's day is somewhere, in an attic, and finding it is unlikely.
sean

Boy Wonder has one of these which was recommended by 12Bore. Seems fine as a turntable and they're now down to forty quid. Haven't tried the ripping from vinyl bit though.
tahir

Blimey, at £40 I might be tempted to buy one to rip the 7" of Funky Gibbon to my PC (better than goats, no?)
Cathryn

Quick save him, buy them all up.

I think I might need one for work. No, I just need a turntable don't I or a new needle on the one at home.
Nick

I happen to be staying near two Richer Sounds stores in the next 72 hours. I shall hunt. Thanks.

Once it's done, I'd look at passing it on.

ETA Bah, neither of them have it in stock. But, there's 100+ in the main warehouse.
Woo

I think My Mum got one from Maplin? if that helps?
Nick

I'm hunting as we speak, but, I do like Richer Sounds.
LynneA

I must get myself organised enough to start converting my vinyl. Will probably have to buy a 4t hard drive beforehand though.
12Bore

Mp3; the reason that I now stack supermarket shelves and sell fish... Crying or Very sad
alison

Sean, BW's machine.

Once the music has gone from vinyl to the ipod is it on the ipod , or does it just play through it. Can you then send the music to itunes?
sean

No idea. I think it imports, but his won't fit the docking station because it's an ipod touch 5 so it's got the new connector.

He actually uses it for playing vinyl through his hi-fi. Smile
12Bore

Use the USB output on the T/T to connect to a PC, play in real time, store on hard drive.
alice

My nephew, who is a geek and gets paid for it, says that no phrase is guaranteed to empty an IT room quicker than 'can you just show me how to put my records onto my pc?'
Unless it's 'can you just show me how to put my vhs videos onto my pc?'
Nick

Boy Wonder has one of these which was recommended by 12Bore. Seems fine as a turntable and they're now down to forty quid. Haven't tried the ripping from vinyl bit though.

Yeah, but 12Bore is a fish monger. What does he know?
12Bore

Yeah, but 12Bore is a fish monger. What does he know?
Thhhrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuupppppppppp!! Razz
sean

Thhhrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuupppppppppp!! Razz

Your tone-arm is skipping really badly if your albums sound like that.
Nick

Best you stick to monging ling. 12Bore

Go on, pick on the under dog(fish)... Nick

Well, I have bought a deck, received some free vinyl to play on it, and it's a wet weekend.

I didn't buy any fish, tho.
Cathryn

Can I have first refusal when you've done with it Nick please, if you do get done with it. My daughter is starting to listen to all my our records. (It's not vinyl, they're records!) Woo

(It's not vinyl, they're records!)
7in, 12 inch EP and LP's surely!

what else does one do on a wet weekend!
Nick

Can I have first refusal when you've done with it Nick please, if you do get done with it. My daughter is starting to listen to all my our records. (It's not vinyl, they're records!)

You can. It's one of my projects, so I may be a while.

In unrelated project news, I'm hoping to do more work on the pizza oven this weekend. Maybe.
Nick

Ah, The Macc Lads, why have I allowed you to languish, unheard in the spare room for so many years... Nick

Ah, The Macc Lads, why have I allowed you to languish, unheard in the spare room for so many years...

Ah, yeah, I remember.
jamanda

Ah, The Macc Lads, why have I allowed you to languish, unheard in the spare room for so many years...

Ah, yeah, I remember.

Hmmm. Confused
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home