Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Treacodactyl

Waitrose to sell normal fruit

Well the story says "ugly fruit" but I think I prefer to call it normal fruit. Anyway, from today 57 Waitrose supermarkets will sell a range of fruit that would normally be rejected as visually unappealing. It will be sold at discount prices to be used in cookery or jam making*.

Full story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5095428.stm

*Not that many people make jam or cook these days.
Azura Skye

lol - for cooking and jam, talk about covering their backs for this 'crazy idea'.

but still, its using up fruit and veg that is perfectly edible, although Im going to have to have a spell to come around to the idea of a straight banana, who would have thought, eh?
gil

Not clear from the article whether they will be selling the grade-outs from their existing suppliers (in which case the fruit will be blemished versions of the same (taste-deficient) varieties, but at least the producers will have more of their crop accepted, albeit at lower prices), or whether this means that Waitrose will now buy different, tastier but blemish-prone or less regularly-shaped varieties from other, perhpas smaller producers.

I suspect the former....
mrutty

Nope they will buy what they get now as that's what sales. Most people won't know a Sparton if it bit them on the arse. What they need is Delia to write some new stuff in her new book, that'll shift stuff.
Treacodactyl

Waitrose do sell quite a good range of UK fruit, I think they may have been the people to sell fruit from the huge range of trees at Brogdale.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home