Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
munsterlander

Walnuts

Can someone on here give me advice on how to harvest walnuts before the squirrels get all of them.
I read to wait til they fall off the tree and then tray them up until they husks come off.
Erm the squizzers will clear them all up before them if I do that. Laughing
quixoticgeek

Re: Walnuts

Can someone on here give me advice on how to harvest walnuts before the squirrels get all of them.
I read to wait til they fall off the tree and then tray them up until they husks come off.
Erm the squizzers will clear them all up before them if I do that. Laughing

Unless the squirrels are red: shoot the squirrel and serve bbq'd?

Sorry, not a helpful answer I know.

J
OtleyLad

No help with keeping squirrels at bay but can I ask how long since planting before you have nuts?
As i approach 60 its a relevant question Rolling Eyes
gray_b

If you buy a grafted tree then its about 2 to 3 years to get a few nuts.

I have had them produce the odd nut in the first grafted year.

If its a walnut seedling then it could be over 10 years.
Mistress Rose

You could pick one and see if it is ripe. If not, you can pickle green walnuts, but afraid I don't have a recipe. Should be easy enough to find one though.
Kariana

You can make a nice alcoholic drink from green walnuts too if I remember rightly. Are walnuts the ones that are poisonous when green if you don't treat them properly?
earthyvirgo

The walnut, singular, has dropped off Sad

Most sad. North Wales isn't the right climate for growing walnuts. It's a lovely tree though.

EV
munsterlander

Squizzers are grey so are game for my .22 if I can get them before the dog does.
I picked around a stone of them today so will see if the husks go black and peel off. There is no way this year they will get them all. Never seen the trees so laden. There must be around a ton of them on the 2 enormous trees I have.
To answer the question how long do they take to fruit.
About 6 years form the planting of a nut. They are growing like weeds here thanks to the squizzers burying the damn things all over my neighbours lands.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home