Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Mrs Barnowl

Wamsler cookers

Evening all...

I was hoping that, before I go mad in the head trying to decide what heating solutions for our freezing house, someone could chat to me about Wamsler cookers - does anyone have one? We are interested in the 900 central heating model for about 8 rads, hot water and cooking in a medium-sized kitchen, just wondering if anyone has experience of them or something similar and the costs of burning wood/anthracite?
We don't have access to gas and our little coal fire in the sitting room doing a few rads is not enough at this time of year, however everyone talks about esse or rayburn on the web, I saw a new rayburn this weekend and thought the quality was poor compared to my parents 30-year old one...

Thank you.
jamanda

Do you have access to plenty of wood or are you thinking about an oil fired device? (Is device the right word?)
dpack

a very good point

if trees and a place to make/keep them dry are available for cheap or for a bit of effort wood is the fuel to base the stove around
Mistress Rose

We don't have a Wamsler but we have been thinking about one for years. If we ever get round to having a range that will be the make we go for. The only down side I could see was that the oven door opened downwards on the one I last saw. I like the raising grate so that you can use it for cooking in the summer if it is hot without having too much of a fire.
Mrs Barnowl

We have some free wood, not enough to run a stove 24/7 a lot of the year, so we would have to buy in. My parents run anthracite on their Rayburn (not a central heating model). The wamsler is designed primarily for anthracite, and as we are also price-led the esse came second unfortunately. Wood is much nice to have going in our house, we use it to top up the coal fire quite a lot.
I've been told wood is more expensive than anthracite, but I'm getting the opposite advice on the web from heating sites etc. Just wondering if anyone has a wood fired central heating cooker, or a cooker with just hotwater and no rads, who can tell me how much it costs for them to buy their wood?

Thank you for your help and comments so far!
Nicky cigreen

esse ironheart here - so not much help I'm afraid. we do use it to heat, cook and to make hot water - we also have a gas boiler which tops up the water if the esse isn't on. If you don't have gas, you could look to electric to do similar.

Haven't bought any wood yet as we generate enough of our own from the hedges so far - I imagine we will have to buy some eventually, we do burn a lot of pallet wood though Smile
Mrs Barnowl

esse ironheart here - so not much help I'm afraid. we do use it to heat, cook and to make hot water - we also have a gas boiler which tops up the water if the esse isn't on. If you don't have gas, you could look to electric to do similar.

Haven't bought any wood yet as we generate enough of our own from the hedges so far - I imagine we will have to buy some eventually, we do burn a lot of pallet wood though Smile

Thanks for that Nicky, pallet wood is interesting, what are the prices/burn time of that?
Nicky cigreen

pallet wood is free

burn time - well it burns pretty quickly - ideal for starting the fire, or if you want to turn the heat up fast - ie for frying. downside of burning pallet is you have to clear up a lot of nails out of the ash. free is my favourite price
Mistress Rose

The price of firewood depends very much on where you are and who you can to deliver. For the calorific value wood is cheaper than oil, but not sure about anthracite.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home