Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
gil

wanted : cheap s/hand digital camera

anyone got for sale a digital camera for not too much dosh ?
dougal

Gil, I haven't - not thinking of upgrading yet!

It might be an idea if you were to propose some sort of budget, so folk are aware of just what you're looking for, and a rough price.

It seems that in the post-christmas sales a 3mpixel camera with a 3x zoom lens can be had for around £100. And I'm not sure that those of us who bought such things a couple of years ago (for rather more) would think of selling our used ones for less than that! Confused
gil

I'll investigate makes, models and prices, and get back to this thread. I thought a reasonable one could now be got new for about £100, but then I heard that there are some new and OK around for less than £50. I take your point about prices falling and folk not being willing to sell s/h for less than current new price.
marigold

I'm looking for a cheapie digicam too gil, and have had no luck finding a secondhand one. Ebay doesn't seem to be much use.

I'm currently wondering about buying a new Fiji Finepix A345 which is about £90 in Boots and Tesco, but they'll probably be all sold out by the time I've finished dithering.... Asda had new cameras for about £50 before Xmas - not sure of the spec though.

There are SO many options and things change SO fast - too much choice makes me go like a rabbit in headlights, unable to decide anything Rolling Eyes
bernie-woman

We have got a very, very old Agfa camera which is at least 7 years old. It totally relies on batteries - no charger - it is in the loft so cannot be more specific about the spec but if anyone is interested I will root it out.

It did take good pics in its time and we only stopped using it a year ago

It used some kind of software like Photosmart which we may still have but it is not on our current computer
timberdog

cam

Got a Vivitar zoom any good?
dougal

bernie wrote:
We have got a very, very old Agfa camera which is at least 7 years old. It totally relies on batteries - no charger - it is in the loft so cannot be more specific about the spec but if anyone is interested I will root it out.
It did take good pics in its time and we only stopped using it a year ago
It used some kind of software like Photosmart which we may still have but it is not on our current computer

Would that be an ePhoto?
It should work on NiMH rechargeables...
... and used SmartMedia to store the images. So, with a SmartMedia reader, you wouldn't need to run any particular software.
My one was only about 1megapixel at best, but it worked fine until the day I lent it to Someone-I-used-to-know. That's why I upgraded the last time...
Wombat

I have an Agfa ePhoto 1680 with a 16mb storage card with it and pc disks, leads, etc. Very reliable.
£50 plus P&P will secure?
Wombat
marigold

Thanks for the offers folks. I've pretty much decided to go for the buy-new option since I've got some unexpected Xmas pressie money to spend Smile . Anyway it's gil's thread......
gil

I think I'm going for new rather than s/h too. Thanx to all for offers, though.
Treacodactyl

Looking in Jessops they have quite a few 3-4mp ones about the £50-£80 pound mark and they will have a 1yr gtee and all the software etc.

One thing I do wonder, many shops offer a trade in on the old one, what do they do with them all?
Lisa

Treacodactyl wrote:
One thing I do wonder, many shops offer a trade in on the old one, what do they do with them all?

Huh. They might *say* they do...
(I tried to trade in my film SLR and they wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe old digis would be more successful.)
sean

Dump 'em, I strongly suspect.
gil

sean wrote:
Dump 'em, I strongly suspect.

Old digis, or old SLRs ? A decent s/h SLR is also on my theoretical wish list. Unfortunately, it's usually a case of what do I really need, rather than what I might want. Eventually....
Lisa

s/h film SLR, or digi? If the former, we might come to an arrangement - I am holding fire until the post-Christmas rush dies down then planning to try my hand on ebay with it. Happy to find an alternative.
sean

I suspect that they dump either/both.
tahir

You won't get much on eBay for an SLR, looked at getting rid of my OM4Ti's before christmas, they were going for around £60, the last retail list price was around £800 body only Crying or Very sad
Lisa

I know. But now I have my digital it will only sit in a drawer gathering dust, and better £60 than nothing + clutter. Irritating, though.
Beckyess

Am I too late? I have a Canon Powershot S10 with all the bits plus case for £50 plus p&p if anyone is interested.
Becky
P.S. forgot to add that it is near enough good as new.
Bugs

Probably too late for Gil but just in case it helps anyone else this deal posted on MSE looked reasonable; not a clue how long lasting etc the camera would be.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1736599#post1736599
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home