Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Chez

Wanted: Rhea eggs

Does anyone have any available? Embarassed
Nick

They come up at market from time to time. Its tomorrow. Want me to have a look? What price, how many?
12Bore

If you train them to think like geese, could you get a rhea guard action?

Reaches for coat on way out.........
Chez

They come up at market from time to time. Its tomorrow. Want me to have a look? What price, how many?

If you are going, then could you keep an eye out and see what they go for? I have NO idea about price and don't want to go bonkers buying stuff from auction when it might all get a bit silly.

ETA: *passes coat to 12bore* Laughing
Nick

We live in a house called The Rhea and there's a field of the daft feckers just down the road. Its all a bit serendipitous.

So, again, how much, how many?
Chez

How many depends on price. I understand they can go for up to 20 each. I was sort of hoping to pay less than that and maybe get four to six. I have someone who wants some, you see. Honestly Embarassed
Mrs R

tut tut Chez. I'm finger wagging right now.
chicken feed

there was a breeder in lincs selingl the eggs for 10 each last season not seen him advertise this year.

ostrich hatching eggs are going for 7.50 each locally.
woodsprite

Please don't buy from Hereford poultry auction. Every year it's a standing bet amongst the old regulars how many times they can sell a box of rhea eggs. They are almost always dud and in 15 years I've never heard of anyone hatching from them. Last season they appeared every three weeks or so and sold to some poor gullible every time. It's honestly like selling magic beans to Jack, quite amusing hen you're I. On the joke but frustrating if you're not!
Chez

Thanks for the tip, Woodsprite.
Tavascarow

there was a breeder in lincs selingl the eggs for 10 each last season not seen him advertise this year.

You need a dangerous animals licence to keep ostrich or emus.
I'm surprised you don't for rheas but my limited research appears to show you don't.
chicken feed

Wink i knew you needed a licence for ostrich but i did not know emus needed one too..............live and learn Laughing

edited to say the need for a emu licence ceased in october 2007 according to leicestershire emu & rhea breeders on the net.
Chez

Rheas are smaller, I guess. A kick from one would still hurt quite a bit, though. Jo S

JUDITH!!!!!!! judith

*Dons Miss Marple glasses and prepares to give The Look* Chez

No, no it's okay! I know someone who is looking for a couple of rheas. So, if they hatch, then will pass them on to her.

I just want rhea babies. Not to ACTUALLY KEEP RHEAS.

Really. Stand down, everyone! Shocked Laughing
judith

So what will happen if 6 hatch out and she only wants 2......? sean

Harumph. Peers suspiciously at Chez whilst taking up position near judith. Chez

I pass them on quickish to someone else.

As I understand it, it's not the hatching that's the issue, it's the keeping them alive for the first fortnight. I thought it might be an interesting challenge.
Chez

They eat mites and stuff, too. You'd be able to get in to my bed without being frightened, Sean Smile.

ETA: With a rhea, obviously. Not me.
sean

I thought it might be an interesting challenge.

Oh well. Excellent idea then. You've got damn all else on.
Jo S

*tries to not laugh at previous comment while lining up with Judith and Sean* mochyn

*tries to not laugh at previous comment while lining up with Judith and Sean*

Ill join that line too. Mad
Chez

*sigh*

I need some sort of project, else I am going to go mad. This seemed more sensible than, for example, taking on Nell's geese. Or getting a pony.
chicken feed

Laughing i think someone is protesting rather too much

i'll join sean's line too Wink
judith

else I am going to go mad.

Bit late for that isn't it?
Very Happy
Chez

You see, I'd have all the pleasure of rearing them. And then not have to actually KEEP them. It's a perfect plan. Jo S

And if you *can't* find a mug, I mean buyer?? Chez

Eat them.

Doh.
judith

Yeah right. Jo S

*tries to imagine strength required to neck a Rhea* T.G

Apparently, and obviously subject to a correction from others no doubt... rheas don't normally come into lay this early in the season, that's via a good friend who breeds them. So if you can get them I'd be slight suspicious and personally would hang fire and wait for later on and when they are well into laying.

I've tried several times to hatch rhea eggs with no success - so hope you have better luck.
Chez

Great, thank you, TG, I will hold fire! Everyone can relax now Laughing SandraR

Laughing Laughing Laughing Well done T.G judith

*Removes Sensible Hat and glasses, but keeps them on hand, just in case* Chez

Have I mentioned how much I HATE being confined to barracks and not being able to get out and actually DO anything? Sad Dogwalker

Can't you just go and volunteer at playgroup or something harmless like that. Laughing Laughing Chez

Laughing T.G

Have I mentioned how much I HATE being confined to barracks and not being able to get out and actually DO anything? Sad Is that due to the cooker being lodge in the doorway or is there another reason? Chez

Tedious dizzy-making virus thing that means I'm not really safe to drive. Or lift. Or turn round quickly. It's getting better, but it's a bit boring and my brain needs work! T.G

Ah .. doesn't sound much fun at all Sad , let's hope it passes soon Smile Chickem

Tedious dizzy-making virus thing that means I'm not really safe to drive. Or lift. Or turn round quickly. It's getting better, but it's a bit boring and my brain needs work!
oh no thats not good Sad
is it labirinthitous (sp?) uggh??
hope you feel better soon
sending hugs x

Oh and Rheas..... Rolling Eyes
Behave yourself Laughing Laughing Laughing
Chez

Oi, Chickem! YOU told me that if I bought a bigger incubator I would have to make sure that I justified the money I spent on it by making the whole thing pay!!!!!!!!! Laughing

Dunno re labryinthitis. The GP was vague. I went for my second acupuncture appointment today, though, which was very relaxing; and apparently my Yin is very low. Not sure what that means, but it sounds good.
Chickem

Oi, Chickem! YOU told me that if I bought a bigger incubator I would have to make sure that I justified the money I spent on it by making the whole thing pay!!!!!!!!! Laughing

Oi Chez I know wot I said but......When you said you were getting the bigger incy..... You never told be you were getting bigger eggs Surprised
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Chez

Laughing Laughing Laughing buzzy

You need a dangerous animals licence to keep ostrich or emus.
I'm surprised you don't for rheas but my limited research appears to show you don't.

That's because rheas are big softies Smile. Spent many a lunchtime gathering berries for Maria the Rhea and admiring her beautiful eyelashes Laughing

Henry
northmoor

I pass them on quickish to someone else.

As I understand it, it's not the hatching that's the issue, it's the keeping them alive for the first fortnight. I thought it might be an interesting challenge.

hatching is difficult too... the air pours get blocked and baby reahs suffercate in eggs
oh and the can kick Surprised)
no licence needed for reahs and i think its no longer needed for emu....but not 100% sure with emu
Chez

How do you get around the suffocating thing, then, Smiffy? Why does that happen? Presumably it doesn't in the wild?

I am envisioning them as very large guinea fowl Smile
T.G

They stand about 6' tall ruddy big guinea fowl Laughing Chez

The way the behave is very guinea fowl-like, though - both brood the chicks, etc. Cathryn

Shocked Guinea fowl noises rhea sized. Shocked Shocked

I was thinking that maybe you and I should keep ourselves busy by trying to learn how to sit still and quiet and peaceful. I've got closer to that in the last few years but it still seems very difficult.
Chez

Cathryn - are you and Jo the same person? Shocked Laughing Jo S

If so, Cathryn, can you put the kettle on? My legs have lost the will to move. northmoor

if i tell you the trade secret chez i may have to kill you Laughing

they make a strange noise a bit like air breaks on a lorry, only the male and during the breeding season.

seriously as the due date for the chick arrives, you must candle often, and as soon as it breaks through the membraine inside the egg, carefully put a hole in the top, they dont hatch like chickens...they explode out of the egg!!!
Chez

Thanks, Smiffy - I sooooooo want to try this! sean

*Cough*. Chez

Not right now, obviously Shocked Chez

Anyway, Jo and Arvo are helping me build four houses for growers next week. It's part of Jo's distraction-technique to stop me hatching weird stuff. We haven't told Arvo yet, though - it'll be a beautiful surprise. T.G

they make a strange noise a bit like air breaks on a lorry, only the male and during the breeding season.

seriously as the due date for the chick arrives, you must candle often, and as soon as it breaks through the membraine inside the egg, carefully put a hole in the top, they dont hatch like chickens...they explode out of the egg!!!

oh you spoilt it now!! you said I wasn't to break the creed Laughing Laughing
northmoor

i think i may wake up dead in the morning for telling!!!!!
T.G

i think i may wake up dead in the morning for telling!!!!!

well that beats going to bed already dead
Chez

I won't tell, I promise Smile Jo S

Anyway, Jo and Arvo are helping me build four houses for growers next week. It's part of Jo's distraction-technique to stop me hatching weird stuff. We haven't told Arvo yet, though - it'll be a beautiful surprise.

Laughing
T.G

Anyway, Jo and Arvo are helping me build four houses for growers next week. It's part of Jo's distraction-technique to stop me hatching weird stuff. We haven't told Arvo yet, though - it'll be a beautiful surprise.

I have a fair few projects Jo can be distracted in when you've sorted all yours Very Happy
chicken feed

Wink chez there is a crocodile farm not far from me do you want me to ask for hatching eggs Laughing northmoor

I have a fair few projects Jo can be distracted in when you've sorted all yours Very Happy

it will need to be a hellish house for rheas
to be fair they cope with very extreme weather, we have a straw shelter made 2 high heston bales, with a ply roof, they rarely use it, but do lay around the outside for protection from the wind
northmoor

ps

i bet you cant bring yourself to sell them once they have hatched
Jamanda

Wink chez there is a crocodile farm not far from me do you want me to ask for hatching eggs Laughing

Mad
northmoor

Wink chez there is a crocodile farm not far from me do you want me to ask for hatching eggs Laughing

Mad

oh i would like some Very Happy
T.G

Mad

You don't need any you have your babies Laughing
Chez

Mad

It's FINE ... don't worry. I have plans for the grower's pens and a cutting list and EVERYTHING. Crocodiles are not an option Smile.
chicken feed

Wink you could feed the crocodiles on your unwanted cocks Chez

Gosh, that's a good idea. I could do a rehoming service for other people's as well Laughing northmoor

Mad

You don't need any you have your babies Laughing

the babies are getting very naughty, but they still come when you shout 'come on babies'
abbie and john have bruises on their arms and legs and the babies are so proud of themselves Very Happy
chicken feed

Laughing then sell the crocodile meat to ds'ers ...................now theres a thought Wink Chez

Hmm, perhaps that might be worth knocking up a business plan for Laughing chicken feed

i can see it now ds christmas hampers crocodile, pork, lamb, goat, beef and a turkey Wink T.G

Hmm, perhaps that might be worth knocking up a business plan for Laughing

I would love to hear you explain your plan to some young new business bank advisor - it would be sheer quality
chicken feed

Laughing if the bank says no just set the crocks free in the bank sorted Jamanda

Don't forget the by products - croc skin handbags! chicken feed

Idea Idea Idea this time next year chez could be a millionaire Spruengli

Errm.. I seem to recollect some comment from Chez not so long ago involving the words 'Arvo' 'Rhea' and 'divorce' Shocked Confused buzzy

Laughing if the bank says no just set the crocks free in the bank sorted

You think the crocs will be a match for the sharks in the bank?

Henry
Chez

Errm.. I seem to recollect some comment from Chez not so long ago involving the words 'Arvo' 'Rhea' and 'divorce' Shocked Confused

I haven't told him. He's in the middle of five weeks of only being here at weekends. It's going to be the second beautiful surprise after the building project on his days off next week.

Luckily he hasn't got much time to footle round on ds at them moment, either ... Laughing
Dogwalker

Errm.. I seem to recollect some comment from Chez not so long ago involving the words 'Arvo' 'Rhea' and 'divorce' Shocked Confused

I haven't told him. He's in the middle of five weeks of only being here at weekends. It's going to be the second beautiful surprise after the building project on his days off next week.

Luckily he hasn't got much time to footle round on ds at them moment, either ... Laughing

I was about to ask if he checked DS while away. Laughing
Chez

Smiffy ... is there a 'Nutter's guide to incubating Rhea eggs' anywhere, do you know?

NOT that I'm going to get any this year, OBVIOUSLY, before everyone starts putting their Judith-hats on and everything ... Embarassed
Jo S

Laughing sean

Who says we'd bothered taking them off? I've got to the point where I sleep in mine. 12Bore

Who says we'd bothered taking them off? I've got to the point where I sleep in mine.
Even the chicken wears one! Laughing
Chez

You are all VERY unkind and I am going to sleep.

Laughing
HellsBells

Chez......

You want rhea eggs, I'll post you rhea eggs.
I remember you asking about them last yr when I homed Jo's pigs (piggies are fine by the way, I love them!)

They aren't too bad to hatch, I hatched about 70 last year & only had maybe 4 or 5 dis, but it is hard to keep them alive up to about 3 months. They are either tough as old boots or they get 'rubbery rhea' syndrome which is basically a calcium deficiency. I feed mine on ratite grower (Dodson & Horrell) mixed with layers pellets, & loads and loads of curly kale (88% calcium)

You will still get some that just don't absorb it & their legs start splaying & even turning backwards, or they fall & bust legs & wings which is obviously horrible as you have to dispatch.

They are thick as feck, but funny and very very VERY sweet as babies. They will come to you, climb on your lap & put their beaks on your neck.

They'll be in lay end of April. Will let you know & get your address...

H x
Chez

Ooooh! Thank you ever so much! *does happy dance whilst looking nervously around for people wearing hats* wav Rusticwood

Oh no! Rolling Eyes

Have you told Arvo yet?
sean

I've PMed judith. darkbrowneggs

OOOOhhhhhhh - Will you have any others to spare?????

Sue Smile
SandraR

Rolling Eyes Don't encourage her HellsBells

Sue......?

Are you dark brown eggs.com & speckledy eggs.com?

If so, we spoke a few weeks ago (Helen in Cobham) & I have 24 of your eggs rolling round in the incy.......!!!!

Yeah, I'll have some eggs spare. Fertility was brilliant last year, I reckon 90% at least.

I'll do a swap for some more dark brown eggs if you like.
Chez

I love downsizer, have I said? Laughing Bebo

Wall Bang HellsBells

Chez I'll swap you some for some CL eggs! I need a few more blue layers. Do yours lay decent blue eggs?

My mate had his first CL egg a couple of weeks ago & it came out nearly white, he was excited, he thought they got bluer as they went along, I had to break it to him that they start really blue & fade..... His poor face.

Also, I got family in Street, so there might be a chance I'll be down that way - maybe we can do a lay-by egg run somewhere in the middle if that's better than running the postal gauntlet!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Home Home Home Home Home