Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Green Rosie

War Horse - The film

Has anyone seen this? The boys have read the book and both said they cried. SiL saw the stage play and said the whole auditorium was blubbing, herself included. Is the film good or too Spielberged?
alison

My kids loved it.

They cried too.

Eldest has seen the stage show, and the film stood up to it.
Green Rosie

Thanks Alison - I may read the book first though. I do prefer my own idea of how things look before I see a film.

Must remember to take a hanky if I do go.
chez

I've made a conscious decision not to go and see it because it seems really traumatic. Does it have a happy ending? I could probably cope if it does. If not ... Rolling Eyes
Green Rosie

The boys said it had a happy ending but I'm not sure how much crying I could cope with in order to get to the end Shocked

On an aside apparently my Grandfather refused to let some of his thoroughbred horses be sold to go to the front and he hid them for the duration of the war. I have no idea how true that story is and as he is long dead (and so is Dad who told me the story ) so I will never know for sure.
alice

You couldn't pay me to watch it. I'm still having Bambi flashbacks.
sean

It's just a horse.
chez

*ducks whilst a million horsey people throw sharp things at sean*
sean

Nah, it's downsizer. If we were discussing War Chicken I'd be in trouble.
Green Rosie

Or War Cake Laughing
Mithril

My daughter has read the book (which she loved - she's 13 though...) and assures me the ending is good (plus there is a sequel). All the same, I'm sure we are going to blub through the whole thing Rolling Eyes
Went

Disappointed with the film really - left not really caring about any of the characters. Each to their own I suppose... Sad
chez

Hmm. I think I might not watch it then. It doesn't sound very *uplifiting* Smile
gardening-girl

We both enjoyed it,and yes,we both snivelled.
alice

My niece (grown-up, not pony-mad child) said the show was absolutely stunning, but she felt the same as gawber about the film.
Liz in Ireland

I've seen it. If you were young and pony mad it'd scar you for life. There's lots of dead horses, but no blood.
I cried Embarassed
woodsprite

I've read the book, seen the play and the film and I think the play stands head and shoulders above the others. The music in the play, not to mention the amazing puppetry, sets it apart.
Nicky cigreen

I've only seen clips of the play and the puppetry looked amazing

I liked the book - and i cried. it does have a happy ending.. in the only way you can have a happy ending by the end of a war.

I think highly of Morpurgo, and think he writes great kids books about real life things instead of all that cobblers about wizards etc. my favourite is the Amazing story of Adlophus Tips, partly because it is set locally.

The books are fairly readable for adults too.

Dunno if i shall see the film... I worry that it wont stay true to the book. But the clips i have seen look true.
Ty Gwyn

Is this film based in the 1st WW or the Boar war?

And is the story line similar to the old Black Beauty series?
Hairyloon

Is this film based in the 1st WW or the Boar war?

WW1
Quote:
And is the story line similar to the old Black Beauty series?

Horse goes to war.
Meets some people, people die. Repeat a few times.
Horse comes home.

I forget what happened in Black Beauty. Confused
alice

Oh FFS, don't bring Black Beauty into it - I don't want to resume the Ginger flashbacks as well now!
jamanda

Chris Evans uses the theme tune on one of his bits in the morning. Da da daaaaaa, da da da da da da dahhhh...
Nick

If you let Chris Evans into your life, you get what you deserve. Why don't you let Sean set musical policy in your house?
BadgerFace

I've read the book, seen the play and the film and I think the play stands head and shoulders above the others. The music in the play, not to mention the amazing puppetry, sets it apart.

I've only read the book. My daughter saw the play last month she said it was amazing, even better than she expected. She also went though a pack of tissues!! I don't think I'm brave enough to see the play.Sad

Quote:
Oh FFS, don't bring Black Beauty into it - I don't want to resume the Ginger flashbacks as well now!

Me neither Crying or Very sad
chez

I've only read the book. My daughter saw the play last month she said it was amazing, even better than she expected. She also went though a pack of tissues!! I don't think I'm brave enough to see the play.Sad

alice wrote:

Me neither Crying or Very sad

That's me not watching it, then. *shudder*
BadgerFace

I even blub when reading Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man, the bit where George signs his beloved Cockbird over to a higher ranking Officer, so Cockbird doesn't have to carry so much weight.

I must have read that book hundreds of times, but it still gets me everytime Crying or Very sad

I think War Horse, the film or play would tip me over the edge. Rolling Eyes
paul1963

We went to see. Quite good we all thought. I suppose it's a bit spielbergy in some respects but it doesn't detract from the story good mixture of humour happy and sad - you'll need tissues though.......
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home