Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
DorsetScott

Warrens

Just want to sound you guys out for opinions really, but what do you know/think about Warrens?
From what I gather it's at the top end of the egg laying spectrum which is one of the main things we're looking for.
I've also read that they're great if you have young children, (2 of them, check) really friendly birds and happy to be handled etc.

If you have experience of them is there anything to be aware of? Are they likely to go broody etc. Can't find huge amounts of info on them, just some forum posts of other people asking about them. I know you guys, I don't know the people on the other forums, hence I trust you all more. (well, most of you Smile )
DorsetScott

And I can also get POL birds for a tenner which is considerably cheaper than a lot of the breeds I was looking at Very Happy
Bodger

The best layers that you can get.
SandraR

I have Brown hybrids ( Warren by any other name) for my egg sales. Best thing I've ever done - fantastic layers, extremely friendly. I bought mine for 5.50 each from Cornwall
http://www.blakespoultryfarm.co.uk/

I've just had one hen go broody, she sat well and is a great mum.

They are really only good for laying for the first couple of years, after which they are pretty much 'spent' I have no experience of this as I lost all my birds to a fox before they reached that age.

I personally would recommend them to anyone with young children ( and I breed and usually push traditional breeds)
Ty Gwyn

Don`t get confused with Brown Hybrids,Lohmman Brown`s are smaller than Warrens and are the preferred Battery bird,hen rescue clear a lot,but they rarely last more than 2yrs,
I`ve had Warrens for around 4 to 5 yrs,and Black Rocks even longer.
SandraR

Don`t get confused with Brown Hybrids,Lohmman Brown`s are smaller than Warrens and are the preferred Battery bird,hen rescue clear a lot,but they rarely last more than 2yrs,
I`ve had Warrens for around 4 to 5 yrs,and Black Rocks even longer.

Embarassed I didn't realise that I thought they were much the same other than hatchery name. Interesting warrens have a longer productive life, maybe I'll look into those next.

I understand Black Rocks have a reputation of going broody ?
Chez

I've had black rocks that have been great mothers. They're good do-ers, though.

I like warrens or their equivalent for egg laying - I've reluctantly come to accept that hybrids do have a place, and they're a good first-time bird. They tend to be very dopey when you get them because they have barely even registered that humans exist, which makes them very tame Smile.
DorsetScott

They tend to be very dopey when you get them

They will fit in to this household perfectly well then Very Happy

Thanks guys, I think given these tick all the boxes, I can get them quite local, and they are cheaper than anything else I've seen it's looking pretty likely we'll go for it.
Tavascarow

Ten squid sounds like a lot to pay though.
The going rate around here for brown hybrids (not sure what type) is about 5.50 at POL (16 weeks). There's also ex batts for about 3.00 but obviously they aren't going to lay as many eggs as a young bird.
Still lay more than most pure breeds though.
Bodger

it is slightly OTT but they are a better bet than the cross breds with the fancy names that many newbies seem to get done over with these days.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home