Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
sean

Washing chicken before cooking?

Apparently 44% of people do. And they shouldn't. BBC Linky

I never have and I don't think I've ever known anyone who did. I think that for the purposes of this topic we can ignore 'rinsing ones that you've killed and gutted yourself' since it seems highly unlikely that 44% of the population do that.
Rob R

Just read this too. Surprised
chez

Re: Washing chicken before cooking?

Apparently 44% of people do. And they shouldn't. BBC Linky

I never have and I don't think I've ever known anyone who did. I think that for the purposes of this topic we can ignore 'rinsing ones that you've killed and gutted yourself' since it seems highly unlikely that 44% of the population do that.

I do rinse my own, and I make sure that I sterilise the bejaysus out of the kitchen after I do it.
LynneA

Does this count for rabbits too?

The wild ones I get from our butchers usually have an area of shattered bone splinters that I have to jet wash outof the meat.
Treacodactyl

It's been a few years since I bought any chicken.

I don't understand why your average kitchen taps don't have handles like those in hospitals, ones you can turn on and off without touching them. That would reduce the risk of cross contamination far more than worrying about rinsing a chicken wouldn't it?
chez

It's the splashes they worry about, I think - and I guess I can see the point. But it just makes me think that people don't clean their kitchens properly.
Rob R

I'm just confuddled why you would feel the need to rinse your chicken? Even if you've gutted it yourself, accidents aside, it should be clean inside. In abattoirs/butchers we're supposed to cut off any contaminated bits.
chez

accidents aside

Well yes. One lives in hope.
Ty Gwyn

Clean damp cloth inside is all that`s needed,for a fresh killed one,
Heard this on the radio this morning,amazed people wash them out,
But not amazed how far removed people are from the food they eat.
dpack

i hardly ever buy chicken,never wash em bought or dispatched,any mess will wipe off if needs be

i sometimes wash fish to remove the scraped scales or "victims"that are muddy pre prep

i dont often have "wet"meat but if i do it gets wiped

perhaps a better question than do you wash chicken would be why is a lot of commercial chicken contaminated with campho ,ecoli etc etc if the feed is full of antibiotics
Rob R

perhaps a better question than do you wash chicken would be why is a lot of commercial chicken contaminated with campho ,ecoli etc etc if the feed is full of antibiotics

Because it's not is perhaps the biggest reason, at least it wasn't where I worked - the feed we were giving them towards the end was predominately straight wheat.
Ty Gwyn

That last sentence is similar to why does shop bought packet bacon go green and blue and stink at the end of the week if the packet is opened,even when kept in a fridge,considering the amounts of preservatives it has stated on the packet. Nick

That last sentence is similar to why does shop bought packet bacon go green and blue and stink at the end of the week if the packet is opened,even when kept in a fridge,considering the amounts of preservatives it has stated on the packet.

Your fridge isn't cold enough, for a start.
Ty Gwyn

That last sentence is similar to why does shop bought packet bacon go green and blue and stink at the end of the week if the packet is opened,even when kept in a fridge,considering the amounts of preservatives it has stated on the packet.

You need to come see the iceburg`s i have in the back,lol.
dpack

Because it's not is perhaps the biggest reason, at least it wasn't where I worked - the feed we were giving them towards the end was predominately straight wheat.

my mistake i thought antibiotics were a standard ingredient in broiler feed
Rob R

You need to come see the iceburg`s i have in the back,lol.

Lettuce? Shocked
Rob R

my mistake i thought antibiotics were a standard ingredient in broiler feed

Maybe in the starter crumbs/pellets, but it was diluted near finishing. OTOH that was 16 years ago Surprised
dpack

umm ,i wonder why industrial chooks have such a reputation for a high biological challenge to the consumer sgt.colon

A hem, I've always washed the chicken. Don't know why though. I can't even think if it was something my parents did. I'll not be doing it any more. Embarassed Rob R

umm ,i wonder why industrial chooks have such a reputation for a high biological challenge to the consumer

Suppressed immune systems?
dpack

might be,i was thinking the processing methods might be at least partly responsible

many hot dipped and machine plucked would possibly spread bugs from one to many?

many sharing a cone if being section cut?

packing lines?

i recon a lot of facilities do clean a lot but some probably dont and none will clean between each bird will they?
Rob R

Ah, yes, I'm sure there'll be a lot of cross contamination between birds and batches, but as I've never seen a commercial chuck facility, I have no idea what their cleaning procedures are like. Rob R

Just thinking about it puts me off chicken... puke_r Nicky cigreen

don't know about chickens, but they used to instruct you to wash the inside of turkeys out, in the instructions on the packaging.

As we bump off our own chickens for meat, this involves hand inside obviously. And I clean the gizzards for cooking and eating. But always prep the worktop in advance (move aside things etc) and have a big clean up afterwards, and dont go down to regular bouts of food poisoning.

Also, when we put in a new sink as part of on going kitchen renovation, I put in lever style taps, so they can be knocked on with an elbow or heel of the hand, and cleaned easily.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I heard that you shouldn't wash your chicken before I knew that people washed their chickens.
I just didn't see the point?
Unless you're giving it a scrub with bubble bath, all a wash will do is splash the goo around surely?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Ah, yes, I'm sure there'll be a lot of cross contamination between birds and batches, but as I've never seen a commercial chuck facility, I have no idea what their cleaning procedures are like.

I've seen video clips, either from a "see where your meat comes from" show or peta propaganda Rolling Eyes

Birds shackled upside-down from a moving track (picture a rollercoaster, kinda?), trundling non stop from throat-cut to hot bath (which gets contaminated with droppings which then every following chicken gets dunked in) to plucking.....

One would hope that the hot-poo-bath is cleaned at least daily, but only the first bird of each day would be in clean water in that case.
Treacodactyl

I wonder if people have got this the wrong way round and people have tended to wash chicken because their parents did it and that can be traced back to people killing and prepping them themselves?

I've washed the game I prepped last year to remove the remaining bits from the cavity. Partly down to be not being an expert but also partly down to shot. I could imagine rinsing the cavity of a chicken I'd drawn for the first time.
dpack

Just thinking about it puts me off chicken... puke_r

Laughing Laughing Laughing umm me too

a serious facility will kill,pluck,gut,section and pack at several thousand an hour.the birds start by being hung by the feet ,head into electri water,the monty python rotating knives do the slit and they bleed out by the time they get to the hot water and brush plucker stage,then gut by hand and onto the cone for sectioning and packing.

plenty of scope for cross contamination within batches even if the clean between batches ,as a batch could be 10000 units umm.

in three shift system three full cleans maybe?

tis a rather ugly business with plenty of scope for mistakes,slackness or downright nasty habits

ps every thing has to be working perfectly at the kill stage or else live birds get plucked and it usually takes a couple of minutes to turn it off if that is happening.my pal worked in one for a short while and he is now vegetarian.
Rob R

my pal worked in one for a short while and he is now vegetarian.

My condolences to him Sad
vegplot

Wash the chicken before killing it. madcat

Now you know why I would happily eat a downsizer home kill chicken but not a commercially killed one. alice

Frankly I'm AMAZED, truly FLABBERGASTED! that EVERYONE doesn't wash their meat. I wash ALL raw meat just as I wash raw veg and fruit, if I'm eating them uncooked. I'm less worried about chicken diseases than I am about the personal hygiene of the folks who may have handled it before me Shocked
I don't even entertain the possibility of cross-contamination - I come from a long line of OCD-sufferers. You could eat off my kitchen floor and perform surgery on my draining board.
You may not want to be married to me - but you'll never get food poisoning on my watch.
Rob R

The thing is, unless you wash it in bleach, it doesn't clean it. alice

Whatever. jamanda

It wouldn't occur to me to wash any of those things. I believe in encouraging a healthy immune system. (My Gran used to wash strawberries in dettol because she was worried about catching things off the itinerant pickers, but she was bonkers) tahir

Dettol n strawberries hmm lush Rob R

I think I'll go with cream on mine, but I'll have it unwashed, please. dpack

Dettol n strawberries hmm lush

i would probably prefer tcp based on detol tastes nasty and tcp could pass for too much saffron in vodka
jamanda

I think I'll go with cream on mine, but I'll have it unwashed, please.

Me too! I'll risk the odd beetle and bit of soil.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home