Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
RichardW

Washing machine power consumption

This is a copy of some posts I have made on another forum about washing machines & how much power they use.

Quote:

Well just ran a wash with the test meter fitted.
Its a standard Zanussi household washer (A rated for wash energy & spin) 1600spin 6kg wash.

Rated cycle (EEC Directive 92/75 standard wash for rating 60E whites / cottons 155 mins) 1.14kw/h

On this cycle 30 deg cotton/colour care wash 1 hour 52mins it consumes 0.45kw/h
(will add other cycles as we do them)

So depending on cycle selected you could be using lots less power than you think as ALL washers are tested (as per EEC directive 92/75) on the 60E cycle which include water heating.

and
Quote:

I watched as much of the cycle as I could The highest numbers I saw were just over 1000watts or 1200 VA (watching the va / watts relationship, the higher the watts the closer to the VA number it got). I guess that the actual peak would be higher but for a very small amount of time my meter would not display it.

and
Quote:

Have just done the same wash cycle but with the quick wash option which reduces the time taken to about 50 mins.

Total power used 0.37kw/h

Dint get to watch the meter but assume peak consumption to have been the same as before.

Which blows my theory that a quicker wash would use more power due to extra agitation & less soaking time.

Richard
wellington womble

The long, rainy, summer evenings must fly by! Wink

I always wash at the lowest temp - doesn't seem to make the blindest bit of difference to how clean stuff gets.
Fee

wellington womble wrote:

I always wash at the lowest temp - doesn't seem to make the blindest bit of difference to how clean stuff gets.

Us too, but we don't generally care how clean stuff gets, it's clean enough Laughing

I lie, Happytechie's shirts sometimes get a hotter wash.
RichardW

Yeh our normal wash is the 30 deg. Just wanted to point out that just cos your washer is rated at 1.14kwh does not mean thats how much it actualy uses when you use it. Was supprised it was so much lower than the quoted specs but then dint realise that the standard rated cycle was a 60deg wash. You would think that they would be pushing a more eco wash cycle as the norm.

Richard
Vanessa

I wash all but very grubby whites at 30 degrees, on the "quick wash" cycle which is only 49 mins. Everything comes out clean enough Wink
vegplot

Fee wrote:
I lie, Happytechie's shirts sometimes get a hotter wash.

He's not wearing them at the time I hope.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home