Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
yummersetter

Wasps?

None. Not seen a single one this year, apart from the Spring queens trapped in the window.

It's wonderful not to have to put on full beekeeping kit to pick the greengages, and I'm happy not to fret about the puppies playing with fallen plums and apples, but I feel uneasy when something as much a part of the summer as those varmints is missing.
earthyvirgo

Re: Wasps?

None. Not seen a single one this year, apart from the Spring queens trapped in the window.

It's wonderful not to have to put on full beekeeping kit to pick the greengages, and I'm happy not to fret about the puppies playing with fallen plums and apples, but I feel uneasy when something as much a part of the summer as those varmints is missing.

They're in the plum trees here but seem not to be aggressive yet.

EV
gythagirl

Pete noticed quite a few dead round the hive entrances yesterday - and they're def around on our plums - not in quantity though. Not reached your bit of Somerset yet!
dpack

plenty in york and the local bees ,wild and domestic,flies ,lepidoptra etc etc all seem healthy

i suspect there is a fairly low pesticide use in the city
tahir

YS, LOADS here, can I send you some?
wellington womble

Plenty at Whipsnade on Saturday, despite the rain.
Green Rosie

We have 2 nests in the house - one under a bedroom lintel and one on the porch. Spray has been bought.
Jam Lady

Paul was moving some cut-to-length firewood from up in the woods down to the log splitter. Got nailed by 5 yellow jackets, including a couple that went up his pant leg. Came down to the house and I stabbed him with his epi-pen. I went up, could not find the nest.

Next day went up in the early morning while still cool. Cautiously started rolling logs aside, using pickaxe to reach over log and roll towards me. Uncovered the ground nest (large enough that there was a palm-sized depression in the ground!) and sprayed the h*ll out of it.

We've also had a paper wasp nest about the size of a basket ball about 30 feet off the ground on the eave of the house, and another smaller one about 10 feet away. Called the pest control company. Man came, put on bee suit, got his 24 foot ladder, sprayed both nests. They don't remove the nests but eventually they'll fall down.

Have replaced the epi-pen (expensive co-pay but necessary to have available) and the firewood is down and split.
Lorrainelovesplants

plenty here. hate the little gits.
gz

Loads here too. I don't mind when they are being useful, but they seem at a loose end and looking for trouble atm Confused
12Bore

Kill them. With fire.
Bodger

Send me your empty plastic coke bottles. They're here with a vengeance and I'm making wasp traps to hang in the orchards.
Mustang

i noticed a few taking a close interest in the entrances of one of my hives, so made 3 wasp traps and placed one on each hive. Checked them today, and there are ex-wasps in all of them now.

Also took out a small wasps nest which I found in the garden.

Hopefully that'll keep them under control.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home