Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Shan

Water Spinach

Has anyone successfully grown water spinach?
Treacodactyl

Re: Water Spinach

I've not even heard of it. Any reason? There seems to be endless things that taste like spinach, is there a reason to grow something tricky that also tastes like spinach?
sean

Sorry but the first rule of successfully-growing-water-spinach club is that you don't talk about successfully-growing-water-spinach club.
Shan

I've not even heard of it. Any reason? There seems to be endless things that taste like spinach, is there a reason to grow something tricky that also tastes like spinach?

It's also known as Morning Glory. Laughing

I normally buy it whenever I go t the Chinese supermarket - it doesn't taste like spinach, more like a stronger tasting pak choi. Very yummy. Anyway, I found some seeds, so I'm going to give it a go.
Shan

Sorry but the first rule of successfully-growing-water-spinach club is that you don't talk about successfully-growing-water-spinach club. Razz Treacodactyl

It's also known as Morning Glory. Laughing

I normally buy it whenever I go t the Chinese supermarket - it doesn't taste like spinach, more like a stronger tasting pak choi. Very yummy. Anyway, I found some seeds, so I'm going to give it a go.

Well it's related to morning glory, sweet potato and indeed bind weed.

I'd be interested to hear how difficult it is to grow, I assume it'll need warm and wet conditions? And how pest resistant it is, pak choi seems to be loved by anything slimy or crawly in the garden.

Do you fancy growing lotus as well?
Shan

I found this description of growing it, so I will let you know how it goes. It sounds fairly weed like in its prolificacy.

http://www.seedaholic.com/water-spinach-bamboo-leaved-ong-choy.html

Lotus might be a bit ambitious for me. Laughing
Treacodactyl

Looks interesting, needs warmth but not necessarily large amounts of water.

I like the names 'Kang cong' and 'Weng cai', Swamp cabbage sounds a more realistic. Laughing
Shan

I will remember to announce it as swamp cabbage next time I cook it. Laughing chickenlady

I'd never heard of it before....but now I want some Very Happy Shan

I went wild and ordered 3 packets of seeds before I read how they prolifically spread. Laughing If you can wait until New Year, I'll post you some seeds. PM me your address. chickenlady

Thank you Shan for your kind offer and I've pm'd you. It's much appreciated. xx Shan

Not a problem. Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home