Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
chez

We need a new broadband router

Any advice on what to get? The old one is a Netgear DG834G, we've had it ten years, it's fallen off the windowsill one time too many and I think it's on it's last legs.

We have eight wireless devices on it, on average. We need a plug-in-to-the-phone-line one (That's ADSL, I think?).

I am feeling very blonde this morning, so any recommendations very much appreciated.
tahir

I may have a spare lying around, I'll have a look
Nick

If Tahir doesn't, who's your broadband provider? Bt hand them out like candy.
dpack

i might have a belkin but im not sure how many feeds it can provide.
joanne

List of recommendations here http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/routers-storage/best-router-9-top-wireless-routers-on-test-1090523

but I have to ask, can you not ring up your ISP and ask them for one? Most of them give them away for nothing
sean

Tsk. Chez is a linux user. She's almost certainly using a tiny obscure ISP that only works with the rest of the internet after hours of fiddling about and expects you to build your own router. Wink
Nick

Ah, yes. Silly me.
chez

Thank you, Tahir, dpack and joanne.

Sean and Nick: evil5
Hairyloon

Tsk. Chez is a linux user. She's almost certainly using a tiny obscure ISP that only works with the rest of the internet after hours of fiddling about and expects you to build your own router. Wink
I expect you'll actually find we are all Linux users as it is probably the system which is operating your router and your TV.

And I've got at least one spare router kicking around somewhere if you're still stuck.
sean

I'd be truly startled if it's operating my TV. Barefoot Andrew

We have an Intertex IX78. Quite pricey and requires a spot of technical know-how, but good product. The kids' wifi is completely segregated from our own, useful stuff like that.
A.
chez

Ha. I took Nick's advice - I know, I know, but I had a rush of blood to the head - and they are sending me a new one. And ringing back on Friday to talk me through setting it up.

Thank you all for your input, much appreciated!
Nick

No, no, you're welcome. chez

I could make you another hat? Nick

I haven't worn the other one out yet. chez

Coward. Barefoot Andrew

Does a groovy hat improve broadband reception in some areas?
A.
vegplot

A foil one may. Barefoot Andrew

Nah, that'll impair the signal. Faraday etc.
A.
chez

I'm pleased to report that I've got the wireless working on my laptop again, as well.

Now I've just got to work out what Nenna's done to Arvo's that makes it crash and burn just after boot. I TOLD him to pw-protect the bios ... Rolling Eyes
vegplot

Nah, that'll impair the signal. Faraday etc.
A.

Worn inverted. This is downsizer.
Barefoot Andrew

That is a very good point.
A.
buzzy

I haven't worn the other one out yet.

Is that "worn it out" as in "worn it threadbare" or "worn it out" as in "worn it outside where others can see". If the former then perhaps Chez owes you an apology? Laughing

Henry
Nick

It has been specifically left as an exercise for the reader. buzzy

It has been specifically left as an exercise for the reader.

Laughing Laughing

Henry
tahir

Bum forgot about this will check when I get to work sean

Chez is getting a new one for free from her ISP anyway. You can relax. tahir

Phew!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home