Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
tai haku

we need to talk about Daphne

Daphne being the sole "hen" to hatch out of the 6 wyandotte eggs we put down with 12 duckwing welsummers a few months back.

I'm being forced to admit that Daphne
20140706_174936

is a........"Dave"
20140706_174940

Given that Daphne is our tamest and favourite bird but that the Welsummers produced 3 hens and 3 cocks, 1 of which (Shane-o) has been earmarked for keeping:
20140706_175005
I'm now a little torn as to how this plays out.
sueshells

Well he obviously just needs a little house in the kitchen and lots of cuddles.......
dpack

2 flocks?

or keep the nice friendly one and soup the other

having met a very butch rooster in close combat id vote for the nice one every time
Bodger

Well he obviously just needs a little house in the kitchen and lots of cuddles.......

That little house in the kitchen needs to be something very similar to a roasting dish and those cuddles? Something a long the lines of basting. Very Happy
chickenlady

Well.. I'm voting for Daphne. Very Happy
tai haku

Well.. I'm voting for Daphne. Very Happy

(S)He is so handsome. Back when she was a wide-legged abnormally large hen (in the absence of any other Wyandotte to compare her to it took a while for the penny to drop) I had visions of her going broody next year and hatching a string more wyandottes from some eggs acquired from somewhere. I don't think they'll look anything like as cute following the little welsummers.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home