Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
FiddlesticksTim

We've got a book exchange going....

Yesterday, I sent an e-mail around our department suggesting that we start a book and magazine exchange. We'd bring in books and magazines that we'd read and swap them. It's a nice way of recycling!

I'm astonished at the response - there's a whole table top of books to browse through today. We've decided that if no-one shows interest in particular books, we'll move them onto a charity shop.

It probably works quite well here as we all commute and read a fair amount on the train. If you're in the same sort of position, you might want to try the same sort of idea.
Jb

My local rail station does a roaring trade in second hand books. Nothing more than a few book shelves in the ticket office and an honesty box for payment but it raise a fair bit for various charities.
mochyn

Exellent idea, that man! I'll pass it on to the old chap. He already sells our produde at work and brings home the used tea bags, so I think the company should initiate a 'grren employee' award (preferrably with retirement on full pay as the first prize) and he could win it.
Lozzie

I could suggest this in the staff room at my childrens' school ... Thanks for the splendid idea!
FiddlesticksTim

Quote:
He already sells our produde at work and brings home the used tea bags, so I think the company should initiate a 'grren employee' award (preferrably with retirement on full pay as the first prize) and he could win it.

Sounds great! I'd be up for the retirement on full pay bit myself!!

Our variation is a little bit of barter. I pass on surplus eggs to a friend and we get nice French wine in return every few weeks. Oh, and people have been known to find courgettes or marrows on their desks!

The book shelf is flourishing. So far, more people seem to be bringing them in than taking them away. Hmmmm!

Tim
sean

FiddlesticksTim wrote:
Oh, and people have been known to find marrows on their desks!

Tim

Doesn't that constitute harrassment in the workplace?
FiddlesticksTim

LOL!

I've got away with it so far. I've avoided leaving any mis-shapen vegetables around though Wink
bernie-woman

FiddlesticksTim wrote:
LOL!

I've got away with it so far. I've avoided leaving any mis-shapen vegetables around though Wink

I have already suggested in previous threads that Mrs F is somewhat loose with her courgettes and marrows Wink Laughing seems it is a family trait then Wink Laughing
Mrs Fiddlesticks

bernie wrote:
FiddlesticksTim wrote:
LOL!

I have already suggested in previous threads that Mrs F is somewhat loose with her courgettes and marrows Wink Laughing seems it is a family trait then Wink Laughing

loose, loose. Surprised I mostly keep a firm grip on me marrows thank you! ( but since we are both getting fed up of the sight of them...I don't mind flinging them about when the occasion demands)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home