Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
mochyn

We've got bees.

Unfortunatey they're in the gable end of the house, completely un-get-atable. They keep coming in the bedroom: it sounds like Brands Hatch up there if I leave the window open. How on earth can I encourage them to buzz off? :shock:no smilies
Went

Be careful or .... http://ianandluis.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/honey-bees-sting-in-tale.html

The general advice was leave them but our chimney and the neighbours chimney was too darned attractive.no smilies
mochyn

I think leaving them is our only option. They get under the slates and itno the (tiny) loft which is inhabited by bats...

We should just turn the whole cottage into a wildlife refuge.no smilies
Went

I think leaving them is our only option. They get under the slates and itno the (tiny) loft which is inhabited by bats...

We should just turn the whole cottage into a wildlife refuge.

Keep an eye on them and see where they settle - chances are they will swarm somewhere when the scouts get back.no smilies
mochyn

Well, abot an hour ago I poked my head outside because I thought there was a helicopter in the yard! The noise was phenomenal: there were tens of thousenads of bees flying around. A few minutes later they were all clustered around the gable end of the house, focusing on the protruding end of a beam where they started to settle.

Now, I can see relatively few bees and those I can see seem to be getting in amongst the stonework. A couple have managed to get through the wall and into the bedroom.

They're completely inaccessible and the old chap has an alergy to bee sitngs. I think I'd beter get on to the WBKA...no smilies
Sally Too

Hmm... Deleted previous post for those who saw it.... checked dates and your first post was only a couple of days ago....

Perhaps the first lot were the scouts and now the main swarm has arrived!!!! :shock: :shock:

Def worth checking.

Wonder would it be worth trying to smoke the stone work to persuade them not to stay... as in "this is a nasty smokey place, perhaps we were wrong and we should move on......."

Good luck!no smilies
mochyn

Where they are is rather inaccessible though. It's high up and near the incoming power line for the house.

I'm going to see what happens: if only the odd one or two some indoors it's not a problem.no smilies
Sally Too

Little leafy bonfire near gable of house.... just smoky of course not firey?

Not sure it would def work, but could be interesting to see? Might have been better while they were all still outside of course!

Do hope you get something sorted...... I'm not sure I'd want them living in the gable end of our old house (200+ yrs old).no smilies
mochyn

There's nowhere safe to put a fire! The garage is only a yard from the wall with trees overhanging it. Otherwise I might have tried smoke. There's really nowhere safe to puf it though.no smilies
Sally Too

Ah well..... was worth a thought! 8)no smilies
Went

Did you telephone the WBKA?no smilies
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home