Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
wellington womble

Week Three, One local Summer Challenge

Tonights effort was very tasty:

Globe artichokes (why do people bother?!)

5 Mile lamb, Stoke Mandeville (4 miles)
New potatoes (garden)
lettuce, carrot, herb and courgette salad (garden, and neighbours garden)
Cheaty salad dressing - made with UK vinegar, but can't find anything within 50 miles, yet.

Wonder how you make vinegar, then?
Jonnyboy

Got bread rising as I type. Picked up half a lamb yesterday so it's leg tomorrow with broad beans, spinach and mash.

Got some smoked mackerel out of the freezer to make a pate for tomorrow night.
Spruengli

Re: Week Three, One local Summer Challenge

wellington womble wrote:

With a vinegar mother - a clump of the *right* bugs which floats on your pre-vinegar (cider / wine) and ferments it from alcohol to vinegar (should know chemical name - ethanoic acid?? O level chemistry was a very long time ago). The trick is finding someone with an existing 'mother' who can give you a small amount (it grows quite well once happy)

No idea about malt vinegar though Embarassed Rolling Eyes
Chez

Re: Week Three, One local Summer Challenge

Spruengli wrote:
wellington womble wrote:

With a vinegar mother - a clump of the *right* bugs which floats on your pre-vinegar (cider / wine) and ferments it from alcohol to vinegar (should know chemical name - ethanoic acid?? O level chemistry was a very long time ago). The trick is finding someone with an existing 'mother' who can give you a small amount (it grows quite well once happy)

I make it by mixing some existing vinegar with red wine and leaving it for a few months (about 1:2). Although some would argue that some of my red wine tastes like vinegar anyway Smile.
wellington womble

Not likely to be ready for week 4, then?

Oh well - I think I'm going to declare vinegar an official exception in this house. It's a small part of the meal, and I consider it a luxury product. So there! Wink
judith

Shopping at the weekend failed to come up with much inspiration, so this week's effort largely came from very close to home.
I fancied a burger, but couldn't find any beef in the freezer, but I did find some turkey thigh pieces from last year's spare turkey. The meat is so dark, I think it makes a fair passable minced beef substitute, although you do have to cook it a little longer - not so keen on rare turkey! No onions, so I had to make do with one of my bolting leeks, but I was very fortunate to find a small handful of chanterelles while walking the dog.

Then take one not-so-soft-n-floury roll made from Bacheldre Mill flour, some salad from the garden, a dab of home-made mayo, a few of last year's pickled gherkins and some melted Merlin herb-and-garlic goat cheese and voilą -
The mushroom single Welsh cheeseburger!

Jonnyboy

Tonight we had pan fried chicken breast with black pudding. on a bed of spinach mash with broad beans and deglazed cider gravy.

Chicken & broad beans - 8 miles.
black pudding - 7 miles
cider - 20 miles (I think, haven't checked)
spuds - 4 miles
spinach - 30 feet.
sean

Very good, sounds like a fine meal. Unfortunately you lose 2000 points for using the expression 'pan fried'.
Jonnyboy

It still had the skin on it, that's got to be worth a rebate.

Anyway, fried sounds so.....KFC.
sean

And its minus 500 for 'on a bed of'. The committee has decided to let you off with a warning for 'deglazed'.
Jonnyboy

How many people on this committee, exactly?
sean

Hundreds, you should see my PM in box. Wink
Jonnyboy

The chicken and black pudding were interleaved, the mash was shaped into a ring and the sauce, nay jus, was napped over.

I accept my disqualification.
Jamanda

Napped? Wot's that mean then?
sean

Poured over.
woodsprite

This weeks meal was last night
Roast chicken - home grown
gravy - thicken with flour from local mill 30 odd miles
roast taters - organic farm 6 miles
carrots - home grown
spring greens - organic farm 6 miles
strawberries - home grown
cream - from friends farm 3 miles
peppermint tea - home grown
Jonnyboy

Impressive.
woodsprite

To be honest, most of our meals come within the criteria for the main ingredients, its the tin toms, sugar, vinegars etc that catch me out. I know where all of the meat and veg we eat comes from and its all local.
judith

woodsprite wrote:
To be honest, most of our meals come within the criteria for the main ingredients, its the tin toms, sugar, vinegars etc that catch me out. I know where all of the meat and veg we eat comes from and its all local.

You do rather live in foodie heaven, don't you?
I'd be twice the size I am if I lived any closer to Ludlow.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home