Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Jamanda

Week Two - One Local Summer Challenge

No photos this week I'm afraid, but another scrummy local meal.

Plaice fillets, landed at Appledore About eight miles) and bought from Bideford Pannier market from Pete.

Sautéed spuds from Braunton again.

Spinach from Petrockstowe. (About five miles away) FromHallwood Farm, and sold in our local Greengrocers.

Cider from Winkleigh Cider, about ten miles away.
Jonnyboy

All we've had this week that was entirely local was creamed spinach. Spinach from the garden, milk from the local dairy co-op. Flour milled in belfast, butter made in........coleraine.

Bum, 10 miles out. Very Happy
Jamanda

Jonnyboy wrote:
All we've had this week that was entirely local was creamed spinach. Spinach from the garden, milk from the local dairy co-op. Flour milled in belfast, butter made in........coleraine.

Bum, 10 miles out. Very Happy

I thought you might be doing something with your whelks.
Cathryn

She has a way with words. Wink

I am also finding it easy (if not getting around to it) except for the milk butter, cream part. I went looking today as local cream used to be available but couldn't find any at all. One other place I haven't tried. I am hoping to find someone who makes butter locally.
Jonnyboy

Jamanda wrote:

I thought you might be doing something with your whelks.

I could, but the chorizo option ruins it.

Actually, to let the cat out of the bag we had a bit of a shellfish blow out. We've got mussels, cockles, whelks, a few scallops and a lobster. Embarassed

Problem is it's going to be hard to cook those without resorting to garlic and white wine at some point. neither of which can possibly be local.
Jamanda

Cathryn wrote:
She has a way with words. Wink

I am also finding it easy (if not getting around to it) except for the milk butter, cream part. I went looking today as local cream used to be available but couldn't find any at all. One other place I haven't tried. I am hoping to find someone who makes butter locally.

Isn't Rachel's dairy right near you? Do they only do yoghurt?
Cathryn

Thought we had decided that Rachels dairy was cheating?

I have asked a few farming friends of mine. Bet someone does butter and cream locally.
sean

They belong to some huge US firm now.
Cathryn

Here's our supper

Mackerel, stuffed with chopped rhubarb and baked with wild garlic and bay leaves (all very local) with a little oil (not local).
Potatoes from the garden, very small and delicious. We had to try them but the rest will wait until they have grown a bit.
Steamed greens, nettle, wild garlic and ground elder.
Really peppery salad leaves, homegrown.

with a loaf to soak up all the tasty juice that didn't get poured over the potatoes, baked with flour from Y Felin (48 miles) and elderflower cordial .

No pudding as Ruby and I quite wrecked this challenge by enjoying a cuddled up Sunday lunch of a large bag of doughnuts. Embarassed Smile
judith

Cathryn wrote:
Thought we had decided that Rachels dairy was cheating?

I'm counting it as a last resort - which means for cream.

Your lunch looks really fab (and no one need ever know about the doughnuts) Very Happy
Azura Skye

ooh you're all doing so well : ) da iawn chi...
I'm not the best candidate for eating local, but this challenge is certainly inspiring. I've had local beetroot, my own lettuce and strawberries, kale and brocolli - so at least there are some things!
can't wait to tuck into the tomatoes and gooseberries and carrots when they are ready...
cheers for the inspiration to keep as local as I can... now, anyone grow any dates?
Fee

Ok, as my 'Surrey' pots turned out to be from 'Suffolk' last night, my local meal was destroyed (haven't pulled any spuds yet, these are the last spuds I've bought until they're all eaten up now though).

But it was:

Pork chops from Wild Woods - approx. 30 miles (plus the animal travelling to slaughter and back, are we counting that?)
Kale - back garden
Peas & baby broad beans in mint - back garden

And the damn potatoes - over 100 miles Sad

Sooo, tonight I intend to remedy the situation. I've just been to the butcher for bacon for glasto. I explained our challenge and he said, "oh, well, take your pick, there isn't much in here that's travelled more than 50 miles". Very Happy

So, tonight, we have:

Fillet steak - less than 10 miles
Fennel - 12 miles (according to Budgens)
Mixed salad leaves - back garden

I did have to travel an extra 7 miles (round trip) to the butcher though, because the damn road between us and them is closed Mad

Now I need to think about a dressing for the salad/sauce for the steaks Confused Suggestions welcome!
mochyn

Someone give me an idea for this week.

My brain's gone more than 50 miles away.
judith

How about brawn on toast with homemade pickled gherkins? Very Happy
And a salad.
mochyn

judith wrote:
How about brawn on toast with homemade pickled gherkins? Very Happy
And a salad.

I won't be predictable.

By the way, we can't manage the 12th: Dolanog sports day and hog roast. And the next week is Llanfihangel sports day and twmpath. Fancy coming over to either?
judith

What sort of sports?
Mrs Fiddlesticks

managed it today ( only week 2 I know Rolling Eyes )

tea here is pork chops from the farm in next village
spuds from plot
broad beans and carrots grown in farm shop's fields

and we shall be drinking homebrewed Pink Plum ( plums from friends cottage on edge of village)
happytechie

We failed again Sad

Seemed silly not to have the spuds, for the sake of it being a totally local meal, as they'll not keep until we get back.

We should have more luck when we're back from the holidays.

This is Fee, btw, if I sign Happytechie out on his laptop he gets all grumpy Wink
Jonnyboy

Got tomorrow's breakfast sorted.

Left over mashed spuds from tonight's tea (rathfriland queens 4miles) made into potato bread with flour milled in belfast (25 miles) S&P and some local butter I managed to find in the greengrocers of all places.

bacon from an organic farm in strangford (approx 18 miles) and eggs from the back garden.

yay!
Jamanda

What happened to the lobster?
Jonnyboy

Jamanda wrote:
What happened to the lobster?

Thermidore. The white wine wasn't local, so couldn't convince myself it was fair to claim, as we could have chosen a different recipe - cold with home made mayo and salad for example.
judith

Here's my week two effort.

The globe artichoke wasn't planned, but the gales at the weekend blew down most of my best artichoke plant Twisted Evil Butter (including the butter all over my knife Embarassed ) from Westry Roberts & Co of Whitchurch, bought from cheese stall on the market.

Main course was smoked trout fillet from the Chirk Trout Farm, via the fishmonger in Welshpool, with a little tarragon mayonnaise (salt and oil from allowance, egg, tarragon and lemon juice all home-produced). Served with minted new potatoes, plus braised leeks, carrots and peas all from the garden. Bread with flour from Bacheldre Mill. Elderflower cordial to drink.

Jamanda

Very nice. Home produced lemon juice? There's posh now.
sean

Did you not notice all the citrus groves when we were in Wales?
judith

Jamanda wrote:
Very nice. Home produced lemon juice? There's posh now.

Laughing
The tree is OH's pride and joy. About the only gardening he ever does. I'm hoping the lime tree will do something other than drop fruitlets all over the carpet this year!
wellington womble

The last remaining (green) lemon has diassapeared off my tree. I think the gales here did for it - there's no sign if it anywhere!
wellington womble

Aha - we will be having a qualifiying meal this week. Tonight's CBA supper will be omlettes - eggs from Mill farm down the road, bacon from foxbury farm (30miles, IIRC) chives, parsely and anything else I fancy from the garden, possibly goats cheese from Rowan Tree Goat farm, 9 miles. Salad also from the garden.

Haven't found a solution to the vinegar problem yet, Aspalls is in suffolk. Must check out the chiltern brewery for beers, too.

No photos, as A) my meals are not served as poshly as Judiths and Jamandas, and B) I can't see my kitchen table to set anyway!
Jamanda

We did another!

Bacon and liver kebabs, ruby chard and spuds.
Rosemary Judy

This is a really interesting thread, and so far I have been just searching for more local stuff.
I think I have found a more local source of flour, and will be visiting a farm shop which is also a pick your own place on my way home from work tomorrow night.

www.maltkilnfarmshop.co.uk

I can already do local meat, from a farm three miles away, salad from my garden, cold pressed rape seed oil from another local farm, a local goats cheese, and strawberries from another farm shop.
would drink water, but can't at present due to something contaminating it Rolling Eyes

Can't find local butter/cream, and of course I have my own eggs, and a lot of salad and veg and fruit from my garden and allotment.
mochyn

I don't think we'll be able to do one this week: to get hold of local flour/spuds/dairy I'd have to drive 27 miles, while I have non-local flour and spuds already in the house and can get Calon Wen/Rachel's dairy at the shop 7 miles away this afternoon.

However, every meal this week has had:
Our own meat
Our own eggs
Our strawberries/broad beans/onions etc.

So if I balanced out the week the majority of what we've consumed has been local. This is the norm for us, and I suspect is for many others such as judith.

Next time I'm somewhere that I can get local carbs/dairy or whatever I will, though...
judith

wellington womble wrote:
No photos, as A) my meals are not served as poshly as Judiths and Jamandas, and B) I can't see my kitchen table to set anyway!

Note that you only ever see half of the table Laughing
wellington womble

That's more than you can see round here!

RJ, Grenwich lives in the Midlands, and goes to an organic dairy - I'll get her to reveal it's location, when she gets back from Glastonbury (and has had a shower)
Rosemary Judy

Thanks WW

the farm shop was a disappointment - full of imported veg and salad and hardly anything local - cept the meat which looked good !

And the flour was only available in 1.5 kg bags and therfore expensive.......

I did get some strawberries they had grown and picked, and some cotswold cream, for tea Very Happy
mochyn

Well, I came back from the shop with Shropshire spuds yesterday so we were able to have local supper.

Said spuds, just plain boiled (yum!) with a fry up of meat from the pig's head with our onions and broad beans. Very old fashioned but yummy.
Treacodactyl

Quite easy this week.

To start globe artichoke, then omelette from our own hens' eggs* including spring onions and garlic flower buds, new potatoes cooked with mint, yellow and purple mange tout, French beans, green and yellow courgettes, multi-coloured carrots, various lettuce leaf salad with water cress - all home grown and served with our own blackberry wine#.

* - unfortunately I've no idea where the poultry food came from for our hens although they have mostly been eating slugs, snails and grass seeds from the garden recently.

# - home-grown blackberries but the sugar came from much further afield than 50 miles.
Azura Skye

well - it was pretty good for us tonight, salad with all the herbs from the garden, with eggs from our new chooks, a cabbage and new potatoes, oh and celery! : )
the herbs were marjoram, winter savoury, basil, parsley, chives, fennel - anything I could find.

other condiments certainly were not local - but ain't it a pure joy to pick from the garden and eat? : D
wellington womble

The official meal is tommorow, but tonights was quite close - garden herby salad, salmon (I know!) local new spuds (Whitchurch Farm, 10 miles) dressing with herbs from the garden, allowed oil and not-allowed lemon juice. Still haven't solved the salad dressing problem. Was yummy, though.

Wish my lemon tree would hurry and grow some lemons...........
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home