Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
hedgehogpie

Weird weeping fungus......

Ok. anyone got any idea what this is??

It was about 10" from base to cap, and about 12/14" wide - with a downy looking grey/white, stepped underside and a brown cap. The cap appears to have largish pores which looked as though they were weeping a honey coloured fluid. I've never seen anything like it, and I couldn't find any comparison in my little field book. It was growing on a live sycamore I think, although it was hard to tell for sure as the canopy was dense and the tree was tall! Spectacular, but wierd.

Anyone recognise it?

hedgehogpie

So no one knows what it is then....... Smile
sally_in_wales

no idea, its pretty spectacular though
hedgehogpie

Been going through Roger's and can't find anything like it there either. Sad I want to know what the 'weepy' stuff is for! I suppose it's to attract insects tho' I didn't see any on it.

Where's Cab when you need him?
dpack

dont eat it yet Wink
new to me
hedgehogpie

Laughing Naaahhhh.... Far too magnificent to munch! Laughing

To be honest, I strongly doubt it is an edible one. But I like to know what I'm looking at when I'm out and about, and this thing's got me stumped......
tahir

hedgehogpie wrote:
Where's Cab when you need him?

On holiday
marigold

I haven't a clue, but it looks a bit like this http://www.aie.org.uk/fungi_base/dryadeus/aie_fungi_dryadeus.html
hedgehogpie

Humph..... Taking a holiday Rolling Eyes

Hey, that looks like the very thing! Thanks marigold, I think you've cracked it. I'm off to see what else I can find out about it now. Very Happy

Tum te tum......

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5347.asp

Put the knife & fork away dpack - it's not edible Smile
dpack

instinct not knowledge Laughing didnt look like food .
hedgehogpie

Laughing I'm with you on that one!

Mind you, I'm also cautious with the unknown - is that instinctive?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home