Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
sean

Welcome Azura Skye...

Welcome aboard Very Happy Please join in...
nettie

Hi there Very Happy
Azura Skye

Oooh how lovely - thank you.

This site is great I must say. At the moment I'm surrounded by all things 'back to nature' as I've been reading Clan of The Cave Bear by Jean M Auel - (heehee) and watching Ray Mears and reading this website, so that's all I can think about is foraging and wild foods and sustainable living etc. Smile

Moving into a small flat in cardiff in two weeks - so came here to look for veg and herbs to grow in window pots.
tahir

Azura Skye wrote:
Moving into a small flat in cardiff in two weeks - so came here to look for veg and herbs to grow in window pots.

Welcome on board, have you checked this out yet?

http://www.downsizer.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126
Azura Skye

I have indeedy, thanks... tis very good.

But the new flat hasn't got windows that open sideways, just windows that open at the top - so unless i turn into Mr.Tickle all my herbs have to be grown inside.
Jonnyboy

Hiya, welcome to there site. Nice to have another Welsh member!
tahir

Mr Tickle? Laughing

Good herbs for inside:

Coriander
Vietnamese Coriander (completely different to Coriander)
Cardomom (for leaves)
Basil (loads of different ones)
Lemon Grass

I'm sure you could grow outdoor herbs like marjoram, tarragon, thyme, rosemary etc too, if you've got enough window sills.
Azura Skye

Ah yes, Lemon grass forgot about that one... thanks.
I suppose mint doesnt grow too big, hmmm.

Where you from jonnyboy?
Azura Skye

yay- my little picture works Smile
Jonnyboy

Azura Skye wrote:
Ah yes, Lemon grass forgot about that one... thanks.

Where you from jonnyboy?

Originally from Newport, we moved to Northern Ireland in 2003 to set up a smallholding, still building it though!
tahir

Azura Skye wrote:

There are loads of different mints some of which can be quite small
Azura Skye

I'm currently studying and living in Newport (gwent), but no offence - I really needed to move away for the third year, hehe! I'm tired of chavs *sob sob*

Smallholdings sure do take a long time to get sorted -
my smallholding back home (near Carmarthen) is non existent now (in regards to keeping animals) because foxes have been mighty meddlesome, and until we build new fences (energy and money sapping) we wont have no chickens no more.

So good luck with your small holding, and from experience, good fences are very handy, hehe.
cab

Azura Skye wrote:

Corsican mint is tiny, with miniscule leaves, and it has an intensely minty, sweet flavour. Grows quite merrily on a window ledge. Mine did really well till I foolishly planted it out.
Bugs

cab wrote:
Corsican mint is tiny, with miniscule leaves, and it has an intensely minty, sweet flavour. Grows quite merrily on a window ledge. Mine did really well till I foolishly planted it out.

We have a pot which has come over all healthy looking again, but I still don't think it's happy in there and wanted to plant it out - do you think it's best just moved up a container?

Azura Skye, what about sprouting stuff for indoor veg? I'm always trying to find a victim to do some serious sprouting and then tell us about the results in an article Wink

And chillies of course.
tahir

Bugs wrote:
And chillies of course.

Apache's a great indoors chilli and I reckon Nepalese Yellow (my first year) will be excellent too.
Azura Skye

Lol - I just returned from washing my little sprouting seeds Smile
I was just thinking of growing stuff from sprouts - but I really do have a limited knowledge in this area, but I'm eager to learn. I'll see what I can learn and do and perhaps if there is some success, an article will be the order of the day.

that mint sounds good, a bit worried about basil though, because I pick the poor things bare.

Would like to try chillies, don't like them myself, but know people who do. Oh dear my tiny flat with its non existent window sills and proper opening windows is going to be an indoor 'herb and veg testing facility'.
cab

Bugs wrote:

We have a pot which has come over all healthy looking again, but I still don't think it's happy in there and wanted to plant it out - do you think it's best just moved up a container?

I never worked out why mine snuffed it. I'd have thought that potting it up to a bigger container can't do any harm, if it still isn't taking off you could always plant it out; nothing to lose.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home