Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Bugs

Welcome Ele

hope you like it here, do join in Smile
Treacodactyl

Weclome to our site. Very Happy
sean

Hello Smile Please join in, even if it's only to correct Treacodactyl's spelling of welcome.
nettie

Hi Ele, good to see you Very Happy
ele

Hello Very Happy

Thanks for the nice welcomes, there I was quietly lurking and I saw this thread and thought, oh no! someone's got my name, and then realised it was a welcome for me Embarassed

To introduce myself I'm an OU'er (in the final stages of a BSc in Environmental Studies) when I finish that I'm going to be rather in between things / idly potterring I think Rolling Eyes. I live in Derby with a rather tiny (4 square metres!) but productive home veggie plot, growing tomatoes, potatoes, sweetcorn, garlic, beans ... I tried to grow some other things but the slugs went for 'em Confused I'm keeping my fingers crossed looking at my sweetcorn hoping they'll ripen up before it gets cold.

I want to expand the growing potential and get some strawbs and fruit bushes in for next year. I also get rather sadly excited about composting and find it rather too fascinating. I'm really curious about the green cones and how well they work after I saw them on "No waste like home", that's how I bumped into this site as the thread on them came up on google.

Got to say I'm really impressed with the how to guides on this site they're very inspiring Very Happy
Bugs

Hi Ele

great to know more about you, and glad we didn't frighten you off Laughing

Quote:
I'm really impressed with the how to guides on this site they're very inspiring

Their main strength is that they are written by people who've tried the ideas within them for size themselves...now, about this composting lark...and the green cone, are you getting one yourself? And the small scale vegetable garden...do you see what I'm getting at? Smile
Mrs Fiddlesticks

Bugs wrote:
Hi Ele

great to know more about you, and glad we didn't frighten you off Laughing

Quote:
I'm really impressed with the how to guides on this site they're very inspiring

Their main strength is that they are written by people who've tried the ideas within them for size themselves...now, about this composting lark...and the green cone, are you getting one yourself? And the small scale vegetable garden...do you see what I'm getting at? Smile

don't forget the enviromental science bit too! so this DEFRA pocket guide...

Hang on, best not scare you off, eh Ele? Wink
Gertie

Hi Ele! Welcome to the site. Great to see you posting. Very Happy
ele

Bugs wrote:

Yep, I think come Autumn I'll get a green cone and give it a whirl. My garden is rather heavy clay so it'll be a good test of it / possible disaster
zone Confused I'm already trying to figure out where is the most sunny, free draining, accessible place to put it in the back garden.... it's difficult to think of somewhere suitable which *isn't* right in the middle of the lawn!

I'd be more than happy to make a photo guide and/or review if you need one Smile
wellington womble

Sounds like you'll fit right in here, ele! I get rather sadly excitable about composting too!

If the green cone isn't suitable, I can highly reccomend a worm bin........... (runs away from bugs - you know what she's like if she scents an article! byeeeee)
Bugs

(Ignoring errant wombles who *know* they have signed up to do worm bin articles and are merely avoiding the inevitable Rolling Eyes Wink )

Ele, an article on your green cone experiences would be smashing, particularly if it is as honest as can be, ie if anything goes wrong or is difficult to include that just as much as what goes right because you can guarantee if it goes wrong for you someone else will get the same problem.

I rather fancy one myself but am not sure...already get miserable looks from neighbours for growing things, not concreting, and keeping chickens Confused Our council has one on offer for £20 or so, that might be worth looking in to if you are on a post-student budget Smile
2steps

hello ele
ele

Bugs wrote:

Ele, an article on your green cone experiences would be smashing, particularly if it is as honest as can be, ie if anything goes wrong or is difficult to include that just as much as what goes right because you can guarantee if it goes wrong for you someone else will get the same problem.

I rather fancy one myself but am not sure...already get miserable looks from neighbours for growing things, not concreting, and keeping chickens Confused Our council has one on offer for £20 or so, that might be worth looking in to if you are on a post-student budget Smile

I see what you mean about including stuff about the difficulties

Unfortunately my council only has the normal kind of compost daleks on offer, but *if* it (green cone) works it would be worth full price to me aside from enviro considerations (of course Smile ) it'd be really good cos our black bin's only collected fortnightly and so it gets really whiffy in the summer puke
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home