Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
tahir

Well, 1st real sales

We've decided to start selling stuff, place just costs too much to run with no return. First thing we're selling is cherries, missus has pre-orders for 8kg for tomorrow, 3.00 for 300g punnet 5 for 500g.

This lot will be Vega and Noir de Guben, bright red and almost black, should look pretty in the punnet.
tahir

Also decided to get registered for jam making
Chickem

Good luck with it all Very Happy
sean

Good luck.
tahir

Re: Well, 1st real sales

This lot will be Vega and Noir de Guben, bright red and almost black, should look pretty in the punnet.

Or should we sell single varieties? (Ta BTW)
sean

*I* would like single varieties. If people want a mix of colours to look pretty in the fruit bowl they can buy multiple punnets.
sally_in_wales

If you can do both, I think it would be worthwhile.
I'd go for a mixed punnet if it was to snack on the go with, but would get single varieties if I was planning to do something more specific with them. Cool
vegplot

Excellent. Single varieties are a good idea.
tahir

Single varieties it is then Smile
tahir

If people want a mix of colours to look pretty in the fruit bowl they can buy multiple punnets.

That's a retailer thinking there Smile
sean

Do you do free delivery? tahir

Do you do free delivery?

Not to North Devon Laughing
Pilsbury

Dont forget if you have an excess that is going over ripe i csn turn them into fruit scrolls for you.
They last years then.
Any fruit you like, either pure or adulterated with apple to give it texture and i can do it with frozen fruit to.
Waste not want not
tahir

i can do it with frozen fruit to.

Really? I have sopme frozen Golden Sphere plums and Farleighs damsons from last year...
Pilsbury

No problem, plums and damsons are ok as pure fruits, its more raspberries, strawberries and things like thst that beniefit from miximg with apples for the texture. Barefoot Andrew

Good luck.
A.
12Bore

Indeed, all the best! Smile gardening-girl

Just done that myself. Very Happy
Spruengli

Good luck - hope it goes well robkb

Good luck. tahir

Thanks everybody. Picked about 10kg last night, another 10kg this morning; Noir de Guben, Kordia, Yellow Spanish & Vega. They're being sold as mixed as that's what the missus had already told people. sgt.colon

Good luck with it all. Smile vegplot

Not a retirement plan then. Barefoot Andrew

From little cherries... Wink
A.
mochyn

Excellent news! Smile tahir

25 kilos so far Smile Nicky Colour it green

well done Smile

from how many trees?
tahir

60ish, in poor condition though they suffered last year, never got round to pruning them either mochyn

Tut tut. sean

It's fine. These are 'Naturally Grown Heritage Cherries' worth a massive premium over ones from brutally pruned trees. Wink tahir

Tut tut.

I know, didn't have much else on either...
tahir

It's fine. These are 'Naturally Grown Heritage Cherries' worth a massive premium over ones from brutally pruned trees. Wink

Spot on Laughing
sean

You just need a bit of bumpf on the label:
At Tahir Towers we don't prune our trees for ease of picking, rather we let them grow naturally. It may take us longer to harvest the fruit and we may achieve lower yields than the big commercial growers but we believe that cherries grown this way have an intensity of flavour that others cannot match.

Yours for 10% of the gross. Wink
gil

Best of luck with the fruit and jam sales !
Nicky Colour it green

cherry jam sounds pretty dang good. jus saying tahir

cherry jam sounds pretty dang good. jus saying

Too good for the masses, we'll be making some for our larder.

I think we'll have to make mulberry jam, looks like a fair crop and they're so perishable
tahir

Best of luck with the fruit and jam sales !

Ta Gil
Pilsbury

cherry jam sounds pretty dang good. jus saying

Too good for the masses, we'll be making some for our larder.

I think we'll have to make mulberry jam, looks like a fair crop and they're so perishable
fruit scrolls........
Mistress Rose

If you can make and sell good cherry and mulberry jams or preserves, they should go well as they are quite unusual ones, particularly the mulberry. Lloyd

Wine mate? frewen

Good luck with the sales - mulberry jam mmmmmm Cool tahir

Wine mate?

Wrong religion for that Wink
Bodger

Utilize the land that you have planted with trees by possibly planting lavender down the middle of the aisles and then you really could be cooking with gas. That's one of my pie in the sky ideas of things to do in our orchards. Did I mention that you could also do cherry pies? tahir

Too wet here for lavender without serious cultivation Bodger

You aint got global warming yet in Essex then? Laughing tahir

The last couple of weeks yeah! Major problem is the solid clay soil tahir

We managed to sell 35kg fresh (must have given away/eaten more than that), got about 40 kg picked that we couldn't sell cos we were away. We were intending to turn these into jam on Saturday but dad's poorly so prolly be at Barts. What's left on the trees (I reckon at least 60 kg) will have split by now; two really heavy rainstorms, be OK if we can pick and process them but it'd need an extra 24 hrs per day Rolling Eyes

Overall a bigger crop than we anticipated, and finally some cash, it'll go towards a new topper (she keeps breaking 'em).

EHO coming next Wednesday so will have lots of jam to sell, plums should start ripening in a couple of weeks, hopefully the cherry punters will be after me plums too!

Click to see full size image
Nick

The world is currently full of out of work, needing cash, kids. Is local child labour an option? tahir

Is local child labour an option?

I doubt it, they all have iphones before they're 10
Lloyd

My god mate, in nine and a half years you've posted how many times????? Surprised tahir

Swot comes from sitting in front of a pc 9 hrs a day mochyn

But your girls haven't got iPhones, have they? tahir

But your girls haven't got iPhones, have they?

Nick said child labour, that's different from slave labour isn't it?
arvo

I don't know Rolling Eyes

What kind of community do we belong to?

Nick's already outsourced your picking for $1 a day to infants and Mochyn's idea is 'Right kids, get out there and pick them plums or the iPhone gets it!' Shocked
Nick

Feh. I pay my son fifty quid a day. tahir

Feh. I pay my son fifty quid a day.

Muppet, it's slaveowners like you... Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home