Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
ScarySara

Wellies

I am fed up with wellies l asting only a couple of weeks before they crack and let in water.does anyone know a brand of wAellies that last.
Rob R

Dunlop Acifort Heavy Duty
Clara

I find I get a couple of years out of my hunters - at least. It's not that they crack it's that I wear down the sole dogwalking on stony ground. I find them supportive on the ankle (which is an issue for me) and they do a half size as being knee high to a hobbit I find standard wellies a bit annoyingly high on the calf
Green Rosie

Same here so I am hoping that the €52 wellies (Le Chameau - a French brand) last longer. They are guaranteed for 2 years and I have kept the receipt somewhere safe.
wildfoodie

Muck boots
are good, I won mine in a produce show competition over 3 years ago and they are still fantastic. but seems they're not cheap at around £65 a pop. But I'd definitely reccommend, I got the neophrene green adult ones.
Jamanda

Muck boots
are good, I won mine in a produce show competition over 3 years ago and they are still fantastic. but seems they're not cheap at around £65 a pop. But I'd definitely reccommend, I got the neophrene green adult ones.

Another huge fan of Muckboots here. Only criticism is they could be a bit grippier, but for warmth, comfort and longevity they are great. (Mine are purple which is nice too)
AnnaD

I have Hunters which have lasted really well for a few years now. Unfortunately, I find them rather narrow for my feet, which may have caused the corn I've been battling for the last few years!
wildfoodie

Jamanda wrote:
Another huge fan of Muckboots here ....Mine are purple which is nice too

thumbup
Purple! nice!
I just discovered the arch of my left boot has started to break up - that is my digging foot tho so perhaps that's why. Purple muckboots here I come!
gardening-girl

I love my Aigle wellies,two years of hard graft and still going strong.
Mithril

Hunters generally last me at least a year.

I once had a pair of Le Chameau boots that last nearly two years (didn't realise there was a guarantee!). To be fair I think I was unlucky to split them - I think it was barbed wire or a nail. They were fab - didn't even notice walking through icy puddles, and so comfortable. If I'm ever flush I shall buy some more.
Squidgymurrambidgee

Hunters here too!! My first pair got binned after a fair few years as I'd worn the heal down to the join as I walk strangely. I then got a pair of Toggi's, never again!! I've now gone back to Hunters again. I have an ordinary green rubber pair for everyday use and an amazing leather pair for special occassions (they were a disgustingly expensive present so only get used for best).
pookie

muckboots here too.....though mine have cracked....could be more to do with the fact that they are 2 sizes too big though.... Embarassed

Had them about 3 yrs ish and are used every day in spring, autumn and wintery weather.

Got mine from Coed Y Dinas, which is not far from you.
Squidgymurrambidgee

Forgot to say, the OH has Muckboots and he swears by them. They are the only footwear he owns so they take some abuse and they have stood up to allsorts.
wildfoodie

we are quite an upmarket bunch when it comes to wellies! Laughing
gil

Nah ! Mine are Homebase cheapncheerful. Two years so far (since the Homebase cheapo Hunter-a-likes gave out), and still going strong.

Frankly, they only cost about £8, so if I only get 2-3 years out of a pair, that;s OK. What I did object to was expensive wellies (like expensive Dunlops) that only lasted the same length of time, but cost 5 times as much.
Tavascarow

Nah ! Mine are Homebase cheapncheerful. Two years so far (since the Homebase cheapo Hunter-a-likes gave out), and still going strong.

Frankly, they only cost about £8, so if I only get 2-3 years out of a pair, that;s OK. What I did object to was expensive wellies (like expensive Dunlops) that only lasted the same length of time, but cost 5 times as much.

Ditto, the cheapest green wellies my ag merchant stocks, usually last a year for around a tenner.
Jamanda

Mine are at least five years old, and I think will keep going for as long again. But admittedly I probably don't wear them as hard as some of you. pookie

I would say the main reason I love my muckboots is that they are so comfy.

I have quite muscular calves too, so the necropene (sp?) being stretchy accommodates them, where ordinary cheapo wellies just don't fit!

They feel like you are wearing slippers, I will definitely stick to muckboots when it's time to replace. Smile
Green Rosie

Before I came to France I had a pair of cheapo Homebase ones - really comfy and they lasted at least 5 years until the bottoms finally wore out (I walked in the A LOT). I bought another pair last year I they only lasted about 3 months before cracking round the ankles Mad
Green Rosie

I have quite muscular calves too, so the necropene (sp?) being stretchy accommodates them, where ordinary cheapo wellies just don't fit!

That's my problem so I will definitely consider muck boots next time or if my Le Chameau ones are not up to the job. At least they cater for my voluptuous calves Wink
pookie

That's my problem so I will definitely consider muck boots next time or if my Le Chameau ones are not up to the job. At least they cater for my voluptuous calves Wink

yes, voluptuous is a much sexier description Very Happy
Green Rosie

yes, voluptuous is a much sexier description Very Happy

And sexy we are, especially in our wellies Wink Laughing
12Bore

We demand piccies! Rob R

My previous pair of Aciforts cost £9 & lasted 9 years and I only replaced them as they'd become slicks.
Ty Gwyn

9yrs must be a record for a pair of wellies,

Not seen Aciforts down here,Puriforts i used to have,lucky if they lasted 18mths,although solid and comfy on ones feet,when worn most days.
Behemoth

I've got a pair, 10 years old, still going strong. I never wear them. Jamanda

The other advantage of the neoprene on the Muckboots is you can wear them with a skirt with out them flapping round your legs like you're in buckets. clydesdaleclopper

I've got some Ariat wellies. They have lasted a couple of years so far and are great to walk in and the foot is really well supported. Shan

Hunters here but they only seem to last me 6 months a pair. DUnlops are too big for my slender calves, as are many other brands. robkb

I got a pair of Hunter's for £15 - they're pretty comfortable most of the year except winter, when my feet get cold at the allotment.

So I also bought a pair of these and they're the business when it's really cold:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BISON-NEOPRENE-WELLINGTON-MUCK-BOOT/dp/B002Z2XQ2A/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1318841394&sr=1-4
crofter

9yrs must be a record for a pair of wellies,

Not seen Aciforts down here,Puriforts i used to have,lucky if they lasted 18mths,although solid and comfy on ones feet,when worn most days.

I wear puroforts every day, never wear anything else (apart from weddings funerals etc), nice warm boots. Budget to replace them anually, but they do last longer than that. Why is it always the same boot that splits first?
shadiya

My last pair of Hunters lasted about nine years and I stopped wearing them when I realised at a muddy Glastonbury that they didn't have any tread left.... A muddy Glasto is not the best place to observe this, I had to go everywhere with a friend as otherwise risked going head over heels, tedious.

Current ones have only managed four years and now are made in China so am going to see if I can find another source. I like the fit around the calf, don't like those wide topped ones, things fall in!

I'm looking at these fair trade ones

http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/green-tips/green-tips-fair-trade-wellington-boots/

I don't like steel toe caps, they're clunky and anyway I have Jerseys. If they stand on your feet they don't (usually) do too much damage, though I guess I'm just asking for it now Wink
camaro

My Hunters, still worn every weekend, are 47 years old! Given to my Dad for his 18th birthday Laughing - not totally waterproof anymore but Hunter have given me the name of a place that will fix them.
Leather stitched-on soles, big bloody hobnails that make you sound like Robocop when you walk on concrete. And the rubber hasn't perished at all!
Green Man

Muck Derwents have a chunkier grip than the Ribbles. shadiya

Shame they don't make them anymore else I'd buy a pair. I'm thinking Aigle, made in France, comes in Neoprene and not made by slave labour, always a plus. dolmen

I've tried more expensive wellies and never got to wear them out, always seemed to damage them first.
Cheap ones always seem to crack on the unside near the big toe joint ...
I've now got a 20quid pair 'Cebo' or something like that, and I'm in my second year, mind you they are a death trap, as they are very slippy in the wet.

Cheers
ScarySara

Cheers for all the advice guys. I think those of you who have had your wellies for ever will have a shock next time you buy them. I had a pair of wellies from a kid until a year ago and they were made out of a lovely soft rubber. In the last year I've gone through about 7 pairs, I do wear them every day but they are hard and non pliable rubber and they crack very quickly.
I had been told that Hunters used to last but don't any more.
I'm happy to spend the cash is a pair will last but don't want some pretty ones designed for 2 days of festival a year and that's it.
think I might look up le chameau if they have a guarantee.....
Rob R

Cheers for all the advice guys. I think those of you who have had your wellies for ever will have a shock next time you buy them.

Not me - my latest pair are still like new Very Happy
sgt.colon

I got a pair of Town and Country wellies for my birthday a couple of years ago and they are still going strong. Green Man

Did you get them in red? sgt.colon

No they are green. Are the red one not to hot? Green Man

lol I've only seen T&C wellies in navy or red sgt.colon

Oh I see. Very Happy Then I may take a picture of my green wellibob boot, just for you. BadgerFace

Muck Derwents have a chunkier grip than the Ribbles.

I have muckboot 'tays' the 4x4 of the wellie world ! Just started on my second pair, first ones lasted two years. I've tried all sorts of wellies, none have lived longer than six months, except my very first pair of hunters, but that was a lifetime ago. Laughing
RichardW

My Dunlop Purofort Thermo Plus Safety Wellington Boots are in their 5th year now. Have s light weep if fully submerged.

Not cheap but warm, comfortable & have good grip.
sgt.colon

Have s light weep if fully submerged.

I suspect it's coming over the top. Wink
RichardW

lol Melli-Jane

I have a pair of Henry Cane shearling lined wellies that I bought at Olympia Horse Show 2 years ago - they've just started to split on the top of the foot so will be buying some more on my annual Olympia day out - about £30 a pair which isn't bad given 2 years hard graft, really comfy and warm and close fitting soft rubber so don't tend to flap (which means the pigs don't break my neck biting the back of them!).
Can't seem to find them online unfortunately other than on eBay.
12Bore

I bought a pair of these today, good sole, 4mm neoprene lining, CHEAP! Let's see how long they last Laughing
http://www.winfieldsmegastore.com/regatta-oxwood-neoprene-lined-mens-wellingtons-p-mf085-c-dk-olive.html
Lorrainelovesplants

I too have Hunters...2nd pair - this one has lasted 5 years so far.
John has cheap as chips industrial black with steel toes - his have lasted 2 years and are split.
Ive been looking at prices and they have gone up for wellies - bit unsure why....
All summer I wear cheap crocs from tragos - £5 a pair...I only stopped wearing them in Oct, and wear them round the house instead of outside in the wet.
If i could find cheap Trago type clogs Id be happy (no holes to let in rain or puddles)
12Bore

These are to replace a pair of Hunters that I've had for years and which have taken some serious abuse. New Hunters don't seem anything like as good, and they're damned expensive too! Surrey Dodger

I converted to Le Chameaux' after 30 years in Hunter's. Not that I felt the Hunter's were bad or anything but I have to say, the neoprene lined Chammies are just the most comfortable and warm things I've donned in years. Only prob is they're a bit pricey, over a £100 Surprised Rob R

My Acifort's have bitten the dust - or rather a blackthorn has come up through the sole on one of them and there's been an ingress of mud at the toe end so I'm getting a new pair. Smile Green Rosie

I converted to Le Chameaux' after 30 years in Hunter's. Not that I felt the Hunter's were bad or anything but I have to say, the neoprene lined Chammies are just the most comfortable and warm things I've donned in years. Only prob is they're a bit pricey, over a £100 Surprised

You need to get over here to France. I paid €52 for mine and then found out there is a factory shop selling seconds just down the road and a friend got a pair for €15 Rolling Eyes
Bugs

I steeled myself to paying what I thought was the extravagent price of £35 for a pair of Argylls a couple of years ago. They've had quite a bit of wear, dog walking and on the beach, and fingers crossed are still going strong. I like the shaped feet and heel which give a reasonable grip/pressure in mud and much better protection against rocks than my old green wellies, and the shaped leg is a nice fit for me (higher at the front than the back). I would probably buy another pair if these broke/got damaged, but I'd certainly pay a bit more for wellies in the future for the comfort more than anything else.

I also love my hideous pink Crocs for the garden and beach. Not much good in the snow though.
Rob R

Having new wellies feels so luxurious Very Happy T.G

having had a myriad of boots and wellies over the years, hunters were ok but having had three split in the same year a few years back I decided to change to something more capable of the task in hand… I choose muckers, comfrey, quick on and off and keep me upright in the ice and snow… have a smashing pair of panthers too, wonderful boots, keep ankles supported appear to be well laced and look smart except are slip on and are suitable for a quick mount when needed…only downside is they are merely shower and puddle proof. ScarySara

if anyone is interested I bought Argyles and they have been blooming brilliant. still going strong.
They are made by Hunter, which I hadn't realised.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home