Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Rosa

What are these?

Can anyone tell me what these are and if they are poisonous to a young puppy. Thanks
cab

Get a bit of paper, snip a cap off, and put the cap down on it gills side down on a bit of paper. I'd like to know what colour the spore print is. I'd also like to know where they were growing (what plants, what kind of trees near by, was it well manured land, etc.).

They're what many shroom pickers would call 'lbj', or 'little brown jobs'. Really hard to get an ID online for those, but we can have a bash if you like.
Rosa

The spore print is black. They grow on my lawn. There are shrubs and small trees all round the garden and flowers. There is bay, leylandi, laurel, hawthorn, privet. It is a quite damp lawn, I mean that the water doesn't drain well from it. Is that any help?
I have been picking them out of the lawn because I have seen the puppy eating one but it is quite time consuming and almost impossible to get them all.
cab

Okay, black spore print is good news. I think (although its really hard to tell with LBJs) that you've got a species of Paneolus on your lawn. None of them, to the best of my knowledge, are poisonous, but are usually thought of as inedible. So I don't think that you should worry unduly about the puppy at the moment; keep an eye on it, phone your vet if it starts looking down, but I think you'll be allright.

For the record, I've seen students eat absolutely loads of Paneolus of several species, in the mistaken belief that they're magic mushrooms.
Rosa

Thank you Cab. That is really helpful.
PeteS

Hi,

I think Cab is correct. I have found something very similar while looking for Fairy Ring mushrooms. I too thought it was some kind of Paneolus - they were growing close to the Fairy Rings but in groups of up to 15-ish and there seems to be quite a few at the moment.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home