Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
High Green Farm

What are these?

Any idea what these ones are? We have never foraged for mushrooms before, but found these practically on our doorstep.

Thanks
James
Treacodactyl

One on the left looks like a dryads saddle, I found one a while back that looks similar and is posted here: http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=6151

No idea about the one on the right.
cab

Yeah, the bracket looks like a dryads saddle. The other one a clitocybe perhaps; possibly very poisonous, probably not edible.
High Green Farm

Thanks. The Dryad's saddles was part of a large growth at the base of a tree that produces them each year - I think the remnants of the last lot are decaying under this lot.
High Green Farm

Thanks for the link Treac......I agree the taste is nothing special on its own, but might be interesting with something else.
dpack

dryads saddles are great for ornaments attached to walls or timber , useless as food or tinder . they might have uses but ...?
dpack

the other one is not on my" i survived list" .dry driads saddles great to say fast ,may be possibly good for packaging , like popcorn .
cab

dpack wrote:
dryads saddles are great for ornaments attached to walls or timber , useless as food or tinder . they might have uses but ...?

Dryads saddles, when young and relatively soft, are very tasty. They make an excellent beef and mushroom pie.
dpack

i will try that , they are quite common round here .and a few other places ,i have only tried a mature one and it was well tough .maybe little tender ones are better . ps i hate climbing trees with fungal infections but somtimes it is worth it .
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home