Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
n

What are you going to do today to make your business grow?

TARGET
I want ten new customers this week.
Not repeat business, new people.

So now I have to work out how to get them....

What do you want, and how are you going to get it?

n

PS. This is not about accomplishing tasks already in the diary. This is about growth.
sally_in_wales

good thread idea! however, I'm stuck at work, so beyond trying to keep up with making stock for next weeks fair, I havent got any growth plans this week. I'm sure I should, but I'm just concentrating on holding the ground I have.

Hmm, thinking about it I could bite the bullet and get some of the domain names I've toyed with, that seems to be topical right now.
snowball

from jema:

In my line I try and advertise enough to keep the number of customers I have growing, but as I rely on volatile google advertising for most of the income I try and steer clear of worrying too much about income growth.
Instead I work indirectly to improve income by continually adding features to my services to keep them as the best place to be for a forum.
Lately this does seem to be translating into a steady flow of people paying to run advert free forums, which does not pay much, but gives a little money that is at least different to relying entirerly on google.
n

One new customer this morning.
I wrote about whether I should sponsor a rugby player on the blog a week or two back. The Glasgow rugby team were offering sponsoring, £300 got you a season ticket for two, an invitation to dinner, mentions on the printed programmes etc etc.
I thought it might be interesting, and had the potential for being newsworthy... knitting socks for the team, perhaps! In the event I didn't do it, but it got all the knitters talking on the blog.
My new customer is a rugby fan!

n
snowball

I have sponsered a kids football team Laughing Hard to see it as a hardnosed marketing ploy though Wink
@Calli

n wrote:
One new customer this morning.
I wrote about whether I should sponsor a rugby player on the blog a week or two back. The Glasgow rugby team were offering sponsoring, £300 got you a season ticket for two, an invitation to dinner, mentions on the printed programmes etc etc.
I thought it might be interesting, and had the potential for being newsworthy... knitting socks for the team, perhaps! In the event I didn't do it, but it got all the knitters talking on the blog.
My new customer is a rugby fan!

n

Write it up and send to the editorial of your local newspaper...if its a quiet week you could get some handy pr form it.
2steps

An earring design I came up with has been accepted by a craft magazine to publish as a project. Today I am writing it up

I am also seriously considering changing my name slighty but am not sure Confused It's not going to make much difference from the point of view of people finding me, none finds me now anyway Sad I do all my own stationary so the small change is no problem. I wanted to work really hard on the buisness this year but it hasn't happened Sad I can't believe it's October already!
woodsprite

I need to circulate a half decent brochure to approximately 300 schools before they break for Christmas. I do not have the money to do this so I need to speak to my arts development officer about possible funding/partial funding to achieve this. Distribution is easy but I need help producing a decent brochure.
So this weeks task is to make an appointment with the arts dev officer.
Fee

2steps wrote:
An earring design I came up with has been accepted by a craft magazine to publish as a project. Today I am writing it up

Cool, well done Very Happy
RoryD

Try joining some forums that relate to your own website/field. Chat with people and join in, whilst having a link back to your site as a signature. Improve your profile, meet potential customers, and improve your Google ranking.
2steps

Fee wrote:
2steps wrote:

Cool, well done Very Happy

Thank you Smile
alison

I have been saving up some possible free listing sites to advertise with.

I will get them filled in and started off.

Good thread.
n

I just posted this on another thread, but I'll say it here too.

I have been networking and another site is featuring my site today.
We are (I think) probably the same size of business, but this is good publicity, and the hits are going up!

u-handblog

We aren't competitors at all, so the idea is that we'll both be seen as "useful" by customers for pointing them towards something interesting I hope. She also does craftsperson type interviews, so I'm going to do that too.

n
dpack

i spoke to my brief and texted with my pals cos we need to finalise the paperwork for our supadupamoos .
i will see who may want my pal's sheep and pig meat cos what is good for them is good for the moos in the future
Rob R

Took a booking for Ilex- 16 cows this time, he is going to be busy this Winter Very Happy
sneeuwklokje

2steps wrote:

well done! Smile

If you don't mind me asking, how did you submit your idea, just sort of cold called the magazine?
n

Four new customers so far this week. I was aiming for ten, so I haven't got there yet. Sad

I had an unexpected success though.

I had a skein of yarn which was faulty (manufacturing fault, not me) so I split it into thirds and partnered it with a solid colour also split into thirds and put them in the weekly Shop Update as glove kits.... and they sold in ten minutes. So I launched a Glove Club an hour later. Three months membership, unique pairs of colours not available on the rest of the site, paid in advance. Eight people have signed up so far.

And lidl have these
on sale, starting next week, so you can guess where I'll be shopping first thing on Monday morning. Very Happy

n
wildfoodie

hello N what's your website address then? edit: duh.. found it

good thread idea. been working on my business too, networking using loads of local newtwork groups ( yay I love it!) last week, this week following up contacts. (hmm not so fun. ) this week I've seen a marketing advisor from the small business advisory service and sorted out some images for publicity material. in between running a wild food workshop and catching up with invoicing and admin for my community education classes. busy!
sally_in_wales

I'm way behind schedule this week due to the wading-through-treacle effect of a bad cold. So I have a list of about 10 things that need doing before we leave for the Living History Fair tomorrow, and I reckon three of them will get done. Sod's Law, whichever things I abandon will be what people ask for Rolling Eyes
2steps

sneeuwklokje wrote:
2steps wrote:

well done! Smile

If you don't mind me asking, how did you submit your idea, just sort of cold called the magazine?

I know someone online who regularly has projects published who told me that the magazine and most others like them have links on their websites (or address is the magazines) for people to submit things so not to feel shy or that it is the wrong thing to do. I decided to give it a go but hadn't really expected my project to get in so was really chuffed when it did Smile

This week I paid some extra cash I had into my ebay account and have listed 100 items in my shop hoping that the more items I have for sale, the more likely they are to be seen and therefore bought
cinders

2 step why not sign upto this http://www.auctiva.com/
its free and offers free templetes (look at mine site on ebay for examples)you then upload it to ebay and it gives your items a more professional look

hope this is of help Smile
2steps

hi, thanks. I normally design my own but at the moment I'm not using one. I did join activa years ago when I was mostly using ebid. Will have to have a look at them again
cinders

2steps wrote:
hi, thanks. I normally design my own but at the moment I'm not using one. I did join activa years ago when I was mostly using ebid. Will have to have a look at them again

I Wish i could do my own designs too that would be Cool
2steps

Unfortunately, I'm not that good at it really. I know some html but I never really know what to do or what layout will look good Rolling Eyes
cinders

2steps wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm not that good at it really. I know some html but I never really know what to do or what layout will look good Rolling Eyes

might be worth having a look at activa they've gots some lovely templetes which helps make the item stand out more.doesn't take to long to list either Smile
sneeuwklokje

Thankyou 2Steps!

Yours is still a great achievement and you have every right to feel chuffed. Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home