Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
stumbling goat

What brand, size Router to buy?

Does anyone recommend a router make or motor size?

Have to cut jointing slots into some worktops. Probably only likely to use it once or twice a year. In hindsight should have bought one years ago.

sg
vegplot

If you're only going to use it very occasionally then cheap as chips models are okay.
Nick

Indeed. I had a cheap screwfix one (Ferm?) and it did everything I wanted. Cheap bits can be found at lidl or aldi when they run offers.
mousjoos

If you go down the Fleabay route, go for a secondhand Elu
perlogalism

I agree with all the above: I've got an Elu which cost an arm and a leg years ago and which tends to stay bolted to the router table. It's lovely to use but in truth, I've had more use out of the Ferm one I got from Screwfix. Just recently, I've started playing with a 1/2" Performance Pro (B&Q) which I got 2nd hand for 10 including 15 bits. That's really impressive!

If you can get a 1/2" one cheap enough then I'd probably go for that as it's the most versatile and will probably be a bit tougher.
stumbling goat

Thank you. Screwfix have a 2100w Erbauer, around 149, well reviewed on the site.

I need it NOW so ebay may not be an option.

Thank you for the comments.

sg
Nature'sgrafter

Don,t buy erbauer tools there are no spares should things go wrong. trust me google it DONT risk it.
stumbling goat

Aah. Thank you for that timely intervention. I was going to pay for it on a credit card as it costs over 100.

I would document when I use to and if it goes "phut" within a couple of years and maybe used only twice or three times, I would claim back on the CC Company.

sg
perlogalism

Thank you. Screwfix have a 2100w Erbauer, around 149, well reviewed on the site.sg

That sounds like a lot for a "hobby" router.

Just had a look on the B&Q website (not that I'm endorsing them at all!) and they have a nice little Bosch router for 80 : http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/routers/Bosch-POF-1200-AE-Router-9806920

or a Macallister (??) 1/2" one for 73. That comes with a 3 year guarantee too.
gregotyn

I bought a small Bosch about 20 years ago and it gets occasional outings about twice a year if that, and it still loves me-must do it- keeps going!
Shan

We have a Bosch. I think it was 70. Works really well.
stumbling goat

Ended hiring a Hitachi from TP.

Very helpful guy at the hire counter. Must write a letter of thanks to the Co for him.

sg
gregotyn

He and the company will appreciate that, I know, I work behind a counter!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home