Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Gertie

What Can I Do With .......

Just clearing out my feed room yesterday and realised I have a huge amount of baling 'twine' and those orange net bags that our carrots come in.

Just thought I would open a post and see if anyone had any suggestions on what I could re-use them for.
snowball

I am not an expert, but could the bags be used to cover seeds to keep the birds from eating them.
Similarly, surely there are a hundred uses for twine in the garden from using them for climbers, to tieing back plants.
Bugs

Net bags could be slit up the sides and (tied together if nec) used as fruit netting?

Or left whole you could use them to store onions in.

Or filled with various leaves (comfrey, nettles, that sort of thing) to steep and make fertiliser) (believe you can also do something simliar with manure but don't have much of that about the back garden).

Baler twine, apart from the obvious tying uses...I'm sure Fiddlesticks Julie said her new peg loom lets you use baler twine to make rugs with, I suppose it would make a good doormat to wipe your muddy boots on, one that would rinse out quite well?
culpepper

if youve got little'uns, those net bags are good for putting bath toys in and hanging from the shower so they drip in the bath and not all over the floor.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

yes you can use the twine to weave with to make mats and bags. I'm sure Sarah D will be along as I'm sure you can knit with it as well!

Carrot bags as said above I'd hold on to for onion nets, plant protection etc etc. If its fine enough it might be useful to chuck over currant bushes to stop the birds getting at the fruit.
Gertie

Great, thanks for the suggestions.

I thought about netting for the allotment with the carrot bags, but hey it just shows you what can be done with stuff I would have thrown away in the past.

Anyone else have any ideas keep them coming - wonder how many uses we can collectively come up with! Very Happy
cede

i did make a rather good fancy dress costume for one of my girls , she was a mermaid but it was a green bag not orange one!
ButteryHOLsomeness

Snowball wrote:
I am not an expert, but could the bags be used to cover seeds to keep the birds from eating them.
Similarly, surely there are a hundred uses for twine in the garden from using them for climbers, to tieing back plants.

good idea about the netting to keep the birds out... perhaps you could slit the bags open and use the balling twine to 'sew' them all into one big net to cover a large area of plants...
wellington womble

you could save them for storing all this years marrows, onions, squashes, etc etc in.
nettie

You can make haynets with the baler twine, or plait them together for makeshift lead ropes.
mochyn

If anyone wants veg. nets let me know: I can get as many as you like, all different colours! Also the crates, both wooden & plastic, that veg. come in. If a few people wanted any I could bring some to the Smallholder weekend meet.
wellington womble

You could grow peas up them, or use them for netting cutting annuals (if you like that sort of thing)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home