Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Pilsbury

what can I use cornflakes in?

I have a load of cornflakes at work that the children dontveat at breakfast time, they eat the rice crispies and cheerios so i need to use them up.
I can't really do chocolate nests as we don't like using that much chocolate here.
I was thinking of crushing a load and adding them to a crumble topping but Anyone got any other ideas?
tahir

You can do that nest thing with golden syrup (or something) too
dpack

a soft set toffee will make nice nests but as with syrup it is a high sugar snack

i have had them as crunchy topping on baked savories(like gratin but flakes rather than breadcrumbs) and as a crumb substitute on fish so perhaps experimenting with using them like this would be possible even with food critics as demanding as the small Laughing
Pilsbury

Yeah and flapjacks but we try and avoid stuff that's to sweet and might send a load of toddlers hyper after lunch cos the staff can't keep up lol.
if need be I will just send some into the rooms for them to play with lol.
Pilsbury

a soft set toffee will make nice nests but as with syrup it is a high sugar snack

i have had them as crunchy topping on baked savories(like gratin but flakes rather than breadcrumbs) and as a crumb substitute on fish so perhaps experimenting with using them like this would be possible even with food critics as demanding as the small Laughing

Hmm, maybe crushed and mixed with cheese to top the maccharoni cheese or pasta bakes..
we don't really crumb fish as we don't fry and the oven isn't big enough to bake 170 portions.
I'm working on getting some new kit in here but it's a slow process
dpack

Laughing the thought of 170 sugar crazed toddlers has me giggling like a hyena blob1 x 170 Laughing Laughing Laughing
Pilsbury

Lucky we only have 35 here but I ship food to 4 other nurseries every day and the staff would be gunning for me for sure.
mind you If I did do it I would make sure it's a day mine isn't here or I would have to deal with him when I get home..
oldish chris

my mother used to make something along the lines of http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/22514/cornflake-tart.aspx

As I understand it, apart from the "fortified with" (fortifications doesn't sound right!) cornflakes have virtually no dietary value. Most recipes that use cornflakes, such as the above recipe, only make matter worse (white flour, some fat, loads more sugar).

There's a lot going for overlooking them until they've past their best before date, then being force to bin them.
Shan

This website might help: http://www.1001recipes2send.com/Snacks/3885-Kellogg_s_Corn_Flakes__Golden_Fruit___Nut_Bars.shtml

There is a fruit and nut bar on that link, which uses cornflakes, that looks interesting.
Midlandsman

I've seen them used to coat a version of SF Chicken.

MM
AnneL

How about Muffins?

I used to make Cornflake Muffins but needless to say I can't find the recipe I used.
But I've just 'googled' Cornflake muffins and there are loads of recipes available online.

The recipe I had was really simple not much mixing, it involved sunflower oil ,eggs, plain flour, baking powder,eggs cinnamon and brown sugar too , my boys used to really enjoy them when they were young.

I'll really have to find the recipe and make some more 'cause they were lovely.
gythagirl

Treacle tart! My Mum always used cornflakes in the golden syrup - I never knew other folk used breadcrumbs til I was about 20! Yum yum!
jettejette

How about just putting them in a sensory tray for the kidlets to play with.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home