Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
slippery Jack

What comes next?

Boletes and agaricus seem to be about over. What edibles should we be looking for now? Anyone know of any forays within say 50 miles of Cardiff?
zigs

oyster mushrooms for one & then velvet shanks, they even grow in the frost
bingo

Winter Chanterelle and Pied mutton/hedgehog fungus are still out there. Youv'e just got to find them.
cab

Yep. What those guys just said. And wood blewits, field blewits, after a frost start looking especially for oyster mushrooms (some spots seem to come out after a frost, cold shock gets 'em going).

Also seem to find some saffron milk caps late on too. Some years more than others, haven't been out in likely spots lately though.
skedone

yep i can verfy the saffron milk caps there are tons of them in my local woods i picked over 200 hundred yesturday and that was about 20% of what was in one patch also i did even find some chicken of the would shaggy ink caps(in my front garden and in nature reserve)
cab

Wow! What do you do with 200 saffron milk caps?
skedone

eat them and share them i have friends who are mushroom mad as well (hence why they love me) i make soup sorces ect then freeze them and i drie what i can
nettie

I got Parasols this morning!! It ain't over yet Very Happy
doctoral

I picked over 2 lios of honey fungus today - it's still out there alright. Next, start looking for velvet shanks and the blewits - they both stand up well to the cold. Has anyone here eaten porcelain fungus - I know of a dead tree branch that is absolutely covered with it. Confused
jp

Found a lone Agaricus campestris, a lone A silvicola & a couple v small Cantharellus cibarius (Chantarelle) the other day (when found my first L Nuda). Also some Clitocybe geotropa (trooping funnel) - I think...
skedone

dont know whats happening round my way but i just picked another 6 shaggy ink caps from garden next door to me and my got some from a foot path near him 4 days ago , at mo i would say just look every were u never know what u will find lol

and that is the fun of it all after all i normally look on google maps and see where i have not been that is in walking distance/public transport and just go have a look
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home