Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
2steps

What do quail taste like?

Are they like chicken/turkey or more like game? Are the eggs nice?

I'd like to keep some birds again but cannot 100% secure an area big enough for chickens and don't want to go through losing anymore to foxes Sad Someone in the next village breeds quail so they are also easy for me to get but I would like to be keeping them for a purpose rather than just as pets like the chickens were
judith

The eggs are lovely - huge yolks with just a little ring of white. And the speckeldy shells are really pretty.

I would say that the meat is like the dark meat on turkey all over. I'm very fond of it myself, and have been thinking about raising them too. So go for it.
vegplot

Quail is very nice. A little like pheasant, not strong.
2steps

I'm going to collect some eggs from someone tomorrow Very Happy
Green Man

Chicken.
Rob R

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
Chicken.


I thought it was quite a brave decision to make Wink Laughing
tahir

Laughing
Nanny

i like quail, as said a bit like pheasant but so small that it si hardly worth the effort really

i kept quail for eggs once but to get the supply i needed to sell the eggs, i should have kept them in artificial light wherein they lay an egg a day and then die

i preferred to listen to the noises and not sell the eggs...they were nice little creatures
Penny Outskirts

Rob R wrote:
Cho-ku-ri wrote:
Chicken.


I thought it was quite a brave decision to make Wink Laughing


Laughing Laughing
Jamanda

Baby quail are wonderful. Like fluffy bumblebees.
thos

Chicken. However, like most things they can mainly taste of sauce. The real problem is size, you spend more time cutting a mouthful than eating it.
emma102068

i keep my quails out doors always have and the thrive they grow much bigger than many other people i know that keep their quail in doors. Through the summer they lay an egg every day. they are so tame even my 2 year old son can pick them up!
During the winter i hang heat lamps in with them to keep them warm and am yet to loose one.
I hatch the eggs on the side in my kitchen and then they go in a fush tank with a heat lamp hung over the top untill they are ready to go.
i have eaten some spare males and these too seem to have much more meat on them than any others i know.
i feed tham on arnamental poultry pellets and chick crumbs they also love veg scraps esp cucumber it is demolished in seconds!
Silas

I think they taste a bit like budjie, only a bit bigger.
Jamanda

emma102068 wrote:
i keep my quails out doors always have and the thrive they grow much bigger than many other people i know that keep their quail in doors. Through the summer they lay an egg every day. they are so tame even my 2 year old son can pick them up!
During the winter i hang heat lamps in with them to keep them warm and am yet to loose one.
I hatch the eggs on the side in my kitchen and then they go in a fush tank with a heat lamp hung over the top untill they are ready to go.
i have eaten some spare males and these too seem to have much more meat on them than any others i know.
i feed tham on arnamental poultry pellets and chick crumbs they also love veg scraps esp cucumber it is demolished in seconds!


Hello Emma. Welcome to Downsizer. hello2
It sounds as though your knowledge about quail could be very useful.
Mrs R

my quails were like plum tomatoes when ready, also kept outdoors. unfortunately the rats ate them before i did Rolling Eyes
Tavascarow

Silas wrote:
I think they taste a bit like budjie, only a bit bigger.

Not much bigger.
Very Happy
Ixy wrote:
my quails were like plum tomatoes when ready, also kept outdoors. unfortunately the rats ate them before i did Rolling Eyes

Why I keep mine indoors.
Shan

It depends on what variety of quail you get. I tend to keep the Giant Cortunix because they are decent layers and finish off as a good sized bird. Mr Shan and I only manage one each for dinner. We also tend to keep them on to 12 to 14 weeks instead of 8 weeks, for meat. They end up plumper.

Feeding also makes a difference. Quail have quite high protein requirements, so supplementing with sunflower seeds, crushed peanuts, nyjer, millet, meal worms, etc does make a difference.

We also used to have a bit of difficulty getting the meat off the bones until we started to hang them, guts in, head down, 4 days in about 3 to 4 deg C. The meat simply fell off the bone and they had not developed that livery gamey flavour where everything tastes the same.
Woodstock

I think of quail as being a bit like the darker leg meat of a good chicken. And quail eggs are just like a really tasty normal hens egg but in miniature.
They are adorable. Clarissa Dickson Wright has some great recipes (i think that's in her game cookbook which i can really recommend) and Georgio Locatelli has a fantastic quail risotto recipe which i made at christmas.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Array Home Home Array