Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
OtleyLad

What do you think to this?

Sales of my book continue at a trickle so I've come up with this idea to give them some momentum:

In my home town (Otley) we have a walking festival each year. It's got bigger and bigger and even has the occasional celebrity attending (Janet Street Porter one year).
Iíve booked an evening in a local community venue to promote my book in the middle of the festival. The idea is to have a number of different things throughout the evening: a promotional session with me, a slot from the local museum (where I got quite a lot of info from), maybe a local choir/singers/band (there are lots of folk bands in Otley) doing a ĎCelticí song or two. I know other authors in Wharfedale and could even invite them. There's a number of areas within the centre with plenty of room for a number of separate stalls. The idea is that itís a varied/fun evening and not just me droning on for an hour or two.

The connection is that the novel is all about Otley (but set in 499BC) and the website promoting it has walks on it, leading people around some of the iron-age sites/carved rocks that are used in the book. The festival organisers have a policy of not charging for anything so my evening canít be an official part of it (or Iíd have to have free entry) Ė but I am leading a guided walk round the rocks during the festival and I might just let it slip about my evening.

The hall hire will cost £200 and can hold 140 people seated. The venue manager reckons 80 would be an average attendance for something like this. Iíve thought of a number of options:

Charge £10 and give each person a free book (Iím having a small print run and they will cost about £3 each to print).
Charge less, say £5, and hope to sell as many books as possible.

Any suggestions to add to the evenings entertainment?
Any nearby downsizers who have something ethnic/celtic to sell (spinners/dyers)?

What do you think?
Behemoth

Another possibility if the Headingley Litfest just down the road:

http://www.headingleylitfest.org.uk/

Can't find a site for 2013. It's in March this year with the theme of 'Lives and loves'.

I think linking the story to the walks is a good way of pushing it with the locals.
Went

It's all about numbers at the end of the day - marketing and promotion will be key no matter what you do. Stories in press, radio, parish magazines, leaflets, other promotional media will need to be prepared and budgeted for - write your own press release (journalists are busy).

No matter what you do, get yourself into the mindset that money needs to be spent to get people interested and therefore budgeted for. Timing is key also - not too soon before or too near to the event.

You need to sit down and work on the numbers - £10 isn't a lot to some but off-putting to many.

Sounds interesting and lots of ideas to get people through the doors.
joanne

Think it's a good idea and I've a few contacts with the local pagan community in the area that I can push it out too - they love anything remotely Celtic in nature
stumbling goat

What is the RRP of your book?

A marketing person might suggest a £9 entry fee AND a free book if the free book option is considered. £10 is a whole banknote. Shocked

Or a £4 entry fee and no book, then you still get change from a £5.00 banknote

Attendance only, no free book, 80 at £5 = £400 minus hall costs of £200 gives £200 profit.

Attendance 80 at £9.00 with a free book to each person income £720 minus hall cost £200 and book costs of £240 gives £280 profit.

You may consider 2 people entry for £15 and one free book?

Attendance at £9.00 per person or £15 a couple with one free book between them option?

IF 33 couples and 14 singles = ticket sales of £621 (33 x 15 and 14 x 9), book costs are £141 for 47 books plus hall hire at £200 giving a potential profit of £280.00. £280 again Smile

A free cup of tea or coffee, depending on where and when it is or the weather? Cost of a cup of coffee or tea is pennies, but you will need tea and coffee and milk and cups and someone to prepare it, serve it and clear up.

sg
Went

What is the RRP of your book?

A marketing person might suggest a £9 entry fee AND a free book if the free book option is considered. £10 is a whole banknote. Shocked

Or a £4 entry fee and no book, then you still get change from a £5.00 banknote

Attendance only, no free book, 80 at £5 = £400 minus hall costs of £200 gives £200 profit.

Attendance 80 at £9.00 with a free book to each person income £720 minus hall cost £200 and book costs of £240 gives £280 profit.

You may consider 2 people entry for £15 and one free book?

Attendance at £9.00 per person or £15 a couple with one free book between them option?

IF 33 couples and 14 singles = ticket sales of £621 (33 x 15 and 14 x 9), book costs are £141 for 47 books plus hall hire at £200 giving a potential profit of £280.00. £280 again Smile

A free cup of tea or coffee, depending on where and when it is or the weather? Cost of a cup of coffee or tea is pennies, but you will need tea and coffee and milk and cups and someone to prepare it, serve it and clear up.

sg

Good ideas to think about but don't forget to factor in marketing and promotion costs - so important otherwise no matter what you charge, the people will not be there.
Hairyloon

Could you get an event license and sell beer so you can lower the entry price?

What happened to your idea of a wee film?
JB

How many events are there in the festival? How many charge? If there are lots of events and yours is the only one charging how many tickets will you sell?

Who could you invite to your event to extend the publicity beyond the event? papers? radio? There's almost no point in having the event if noone outside the hall hears about it so create press releases to go with the event.
Snowball

Some good ideas. I agree though that getting the bums on seats is key. The title of the event will be quite important to drawing people in. I definitely agree with ready to go press releases.
Tea and coffee is a good idea. Most community centres are set up for such.
Could you persuade the local radio or paper to run a small competion with a book as the prize?
OtleyLad

Think it's a good idea and I've a few contacts with the local pagan community in the area that I can push it out too - they love anything remotely Celtic in nature

That sounds promising Joanne - i'll let you know nearer the time when its more organised. The date is the 27th June.
Thanks.
alison

If book sales are the key, are there any other groups that you could join up with to spread the cost and manpower? OtleyLad

Thanks for all your ideas - keep them coming Cool

The £200 pays for a staffed bar and it will be included in their glossy summer brochure too.

The festival has no charge for any of the walks (unless there's a bus/train to get there). They don't have many evening events so there won't be a clash (although there are evening walks - it's midsummer after all).

I will be making a plan of whom to contact and when soon - there are a few local free things that have large circulations.

The free book for 2 tickets sounds good (if a little harsh on the single).
Hairyloon

Perhaps they can meet someone at the event and share the book.
stumbling goat

Thanks for all your ideas - keep them coming Cool

The £200 pays for a staffed bar and it will be included in their glossy summer brochure too.

The festival has no charge for any of the walks (unless there's a bus/train to get there). They don't have many evening events so there won't be a clash (although there are evening walks - it's midsummer after all).

I will be making a plan of whom to contact and when soon - there are a few local free things that have large circulations.

Fair comment OL.

Idea Introduce it as a speed dating event and if anyone pairs up offer a refund.

sg

PS okay not one of the better ideas Wink
OtleyLad

I'm in the process of getting the book printed - i've sent off the first pdf versions for them to turn into a real book. I'm using Book Empire.

I've had a chance to go through it and pick up more typos - not perfect no doubt but getting there.

The process takes about 10 working days before I end up with the hard copies here. That's something to look forward to...

Then I can start leaving them all over my world for people to accidentally come across Wink
Pilsbury

I'm happy to buy a hard copy and distribute a few copies in the east London area, I'm on a book sharing site that you can post the location of a book you have set free for people to find, not used it in a while mind but if you want a few copies floating round that might be a way to do it.
I can put your web address in so people who Likeit can buy the electronic one and keep an eye out for The next in the series.
OtleyLad

I'm happy to buy a hard copy and distribute a few copies in the east London area, I'm on a book sharing site that you can post the location of a book you have set free for people to find, not used it in a while mind but if you want a few copies floating round that might be a way to do it.
I can put your web address in so people who Likeit can buy the electronic one and keep an eye out for The next in the series.

Thats a kind offer. I will let you know when the books arrive. I'll have a better idea of the cost then as its dependant on the exact number of pages and how much tweaking the printers need in term of the finished format.
OtleyLad

I'm looking forward to several things today:

I get to pick up the printed books this afternoon - at last!
With the books in hand I can set up the nochex online sales.

I went for the ebookpartnerships.com distributors package (£85) to push the ebook version out to the Apple, Barnes & Noble, Gardners, Ingram, Kobo and Waterstones. So hopefully in the next couple of weeks it will be on sale there as well.

I've also got the very talented Becky Owen (she sings with And the Sharks Took the Rest as well as doing her own stuff) to do a couple of songs on the night!
My guitar teacher Rob Thompson is going to arrange and play some 'Celtic' music too.
The local Otley Poets Society are going to write/read some of their own work on the night.

And the sun is shining Cool
earthyvirgo

I was listening to BookClub on R4 yesterday and it was all about a Walking Book Club.

The group meet to chat about the chosen book AND go for a walk at the same time.

Most of the members said it was much more fun that a sitting down book club.

It's probably on iPlayer.

EV
arvo

Hi Mr Otley,

Have you got any contacts in the local archaeology community? Maybe from research etc.

Might be good to have someone talk about some of what they know about Celtic Otley?

Good luck

Arvo
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home