Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
gardening-girl

What fibre to knit with?

My very dear friend in France has lost all her hair after chemo,and I would like to knit her a hat.
I thought silk would be a good option,would wool be too tickly?
Any ideas ?
Nicky Colour it green

alpaca?
Mistress Rose

I have just spun some alpaca and it really feels nice. Silk can 'creak' and I can't stand it. I have a silk skirt, but couldn't cope with a silk blouse so got a matching one in acrylic.
sally_in_wales

alpaca gets my vote too, very light and very soft
gardening-girl

Thanks.
Rob R

Too light & soft I would say - you don't want it slipping off & blowing away in the wind...
sally_in_wales

Too light & soft I would say - you don't want it slipping off & blowing away in the wind...

thats more to do with choosing the right design of hat I would imagine
oldish chris

I asked a similar question a few years back, this was for an Aran pullover. The near universal response was "BFL" from WYS. (Blue faced Leicester supplied by West Yorkshire Spinners http://www.wyspinners.com/bluefaced%20leicester%20yarn/bluefaced-leicester-yarn-aran-thickness )

With the left-over wool I made myself two Aran style hats (I've lost much of my hair because of male-pattern baldness).
tahir

Yup
tahir

With the left-over wool I made myself two Aran style hats (I've lost much of my hair because of male-pattern baldness).

Best I put an order in then...
oldish chris

Yup Isn't there some special double sided sticky tape, as worn by lady celebrities, to prevent wardrobe malfunctions. Rob R

Yup

Yep, one not made of Alpaca... (Not my line, Nat came out with that one)
oldish chris

Yup

Yep, one not made of Alpaca... (Not my line, Nat came out with that one)

I'm with Sally: for example
wellington womble

Get her to try a few against her skin? I find alpaca a bit fluffy and sneezy, but love soft merino. Or cotton, hardly anyone itches with cotton Rob R

I find alpaca a bit fluffy and sneezy,

Me too, I really don't see the appeal, but good idea to let her make the choice, as we're all different.
wellington womble

Oh, I love alpaca - it does feel so soft, but I do find it itchy. It might be just me though. gardening-girl

She is in France,so a bit difficult to do a skin test.But I have found some rather lovely fleece hats locally,and am very tempted. wellington womble

Ah, yes. Oh well, you'll just have to play with different fibres until you find one you both like. Shame. Mistress Rose

WW, alpaca that is very fine shouldn't cause any irritation. I heard that if the fibres are thinner than a certain diameter then they should be all right. Perhaps they use all diameters in commercial yarn. This doesn't apply of course if you have any sensitivity (allergy) to alpaca or other fibres of course. wellington womble

It's not so much that it's scratchy, it's just a bit fluffy and sneezed. Like mohair. I'm allergic to alsorts of things though, so it might just be me.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home